Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why Pentax can't do this direct communication with users?

See this video:

Apple - iPad in Business - Profiles - Ducati

Ducati connects both users and distributors through one app for the iPad. On one side users dream about certain things Ducati has for them, they express a wish, and the item is guaranteed to come in the nearest dealership.

Why would not future of all Ricoh camera sales be like this? I want to try bloody DA*300? No problems, Ricoh says, and delivers one, for me to try, in the nearest distributor's store. So Ricoh does not need to guess, retailer neither, and they don't stock up in advance anything — just when needed.

With personal experience as such, and say, cleverly outlined pricing models, what can be better experience of Pentax than that?!?!

A quote from the article:

"And for customers, it’s one less barrier between the dream of owning a Ducati and the reality."

“You don’t buy a motorcycle every day,” Silei notes. “So when someone comes to the dealership, it’s a very emotional and important moment. It’s crucial to understand how to choose the right motorcycle, and we do whatever we can to make the experience unforgettable. iPad helps us a lot with this, because it gives the future Ducati owner a richer experience.”

“We are growing quickly from being an Italian company to being a totally international one. iPad is crucial in this process of growth. It is the frontier”.

Last edited by Uluru; 07-17-2013 at 10:33 PM.
07-17-2013, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You're comparing one of the biggest companies in the world to a company with 2-3% of worldwide market share

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-17-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Why would not future of all Ricoh camera sales be like this?
LOL. Why can't Telstra or BHP do it either?
Because it only works for niche. And sitting behind it you need excellent IT infrastructure, and top-notch sales and distribution infrastructure too.

This is the sort of thing I used to hate my CEO bringing to me once he read something exciting in an in-flight magazine somewhere. 'Why can't we do this?' Sigh - 'Give me $5 million dollars and we might be able to', I'd reply. 'Oh', he'd say, then lose interest until next week when he read something else exciting in a magazine in the Qantas Club Chairmans Lounge.

Last edited by rawr; 07-17-2013 at 11:07 PM.
07-17-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Actually, I would call what Jim Malcolm did "direct communication with users"; this Apple/Ducati thing is just an inventory management/ordering system. Read the article carefully, it's dealer-only.
It's actually quite common, in the automotive parts sales industry; with so many parts, many shipped at order from a central deposit, a system to manage inventory between the several dealers is a must.

And with that, we're again in this kind of situation when Pentax is blamed they're not doing something they did, and a "that's how you do it" example we're given someone who didn't do it.

07-17-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Actually, I would call what Jim Malcolm did "direct communication with users"; this Apple/Ducati thing is just an inventory management/ordering system. Read the article carefully, it's dealer-only.
Yes, to be used with existing dealers. Like Ricoh does not have any?

At least through a program like this, a customer may try something not available at all for him/her to try. Get it? It will take a century before any dealer stocks all lenses. Or even half a dozen. Or just one extra body than entry level.

How on Earth one may try DA*300? DA*200? Any FA limited? No way. So, I'd gladly give a small fee just to try them out! And which can be used as an advance for a possible purchase.

Pentax gear and Ducati gear fall into same exotic category of equipment.

Honestly, when I read comments posted here, I believe I've never seen so many obstacles to imaginative thinking anywhere else in the world than here in Pentax Forums.

Last edited by Uluru; 07-17-2013 at 11:46 PM.
07-17-2013, 11:51 PM   #6
Pentaxian

You're doing it wrong. The question you should ask is not "why doesn't Ricoh use iPads with SAP-based inventory management solutions". You should start by thinking if they really have a problem - with inventory management, not with having enough dealers (because software does not create dealers); then, if you have enough data, you can formulate a possible solution for their problem.
However, with their hierarchical organization I see such complex systems unnecessary - and I really hope they don't burden themselves with SAP. Pentax actually has a system good enough for custom ordering 100 colors, but even that is nothing compared with the automotive parts industry.

You are also misunderstanding how it works - it's about ordering parts or customized Ducatis, not trying them. Do you think you can try a customized Ducati, because they're now using iPads? Come on...

P.S. Please, change the title to "Why Pentax can't do this — expensive Apple+SAP inventory management solution?"
07-18-2013, 04:05 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
How on Earth one may try DA*300? DA*200? Any FA limited? No way. So, I'd gladly give a small fee just to try them out!
Why not rent the lenses? I have done that myself. Its pretty reasonable rates:
Cameralensrentals.com-Pentax Telephoto