Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2013, 12:28 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Dipping my toe into the website water

Hello all,

I know this is nothing new to most of you, but I'm excited. I've just published my first website and wanted to share.

Tony Heyward Images

There is still much work to do cleaning it up but any thoughts, suggestions or criticisms are welcome from you all.

Regards
Tony

07-18-2013, 12:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

looks great, although I did find the jump in layout between the main site and the blog to be a bit jarring.
07-18-2013, 01:01 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Adinfinitum Quote
Hello all,

I know this is nothing new to most of you, but I'm excited. I've just published my first website and wanted to share.

Tony Heyward Images

There is still much work to do cleaning it up but any thoughts, suggestions or criticisms are welcome from you all.

Regards
Tony
Nice website. The black background is a classic for many photographer websites. And your images are outstanding and of great quality. Nice work!

BUT one thing bothered me. (My own opinion)

I don't really like the small slideshow on the center of the screen that is on the homepage. I think the slideshow on the homepage should be HUGE. Make a impression on the viewer/ reader, and make use of those megapixels. I also noticed the slideshow is a java or something like that, so I tried accessing the site from my iPhone. And as I expected (accessing the FULL SITE, Smugmug does offer mobile version but I just tapped full site), the slideshow couldn't load. So I suggest something that is more compatible with a wider variety of devices (don't use the mobile version) and will load faster, Java seems to load slow.

Sorry, I guess this may be a bit too much to say of just a small little slideshow, but I do really believe that the homepage is really key for a photographer's site. Your work is great and use that homepage to give the reader a reason to stay.

Keep up the good work

-Steve
07-18-2013, 02:10 AM   #4

I loved it, it is uplifting and you take exquisite photos. Maybe the slide show photos would be a little better if they were larger, but they held my attention and I enjoyed them all.
Congratulations on a great job.

07-18-2013, 03:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree the slide show is a little too small.
07-18-2013, 05:08 AM   #6

Hello all,

Tony Heyward Images

Regards
Tony
any thoughts, suggestions or criticisms are welcome from you all.
Very nice photos! I suggest centering your header on all pages (like how it is on your blog). Also black is great for viewing photos but horrible for reading text..a white background with black text on the blog would be easier on the eyes. Other than that it's a very nice site with excellent photos. Your reptile shots are amazing.
07-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good website and amazing photos. Thanks for sharing

07-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Old Man Quote
Maybe the slide show photos would be a little better if they were larger
QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
I agree the slide show is a little too small.
Thank you all for the feed back. The one common factor as pointed out by you was a big help. The slide show looked great on IE but failed in Chrome. I think I can safely guess that those of you who commented re the slideshow size were on Chrome, if not can you let me know. I believe I've fixed this now so of any of you still see a small slide show, I would appreciate your feedback and include your browser type.

QuoteOriginally posted by adpo Quote
looks great, although I did find the jump in layout between the main site and the blog to be a bit jarring.
Thanks adpo, My next move will be to work on the blog. Because it is actually hosted elsewhere, I will need some more HTML skills to fix this.

QuoteOriginally posted by thedollarbill Quote
...I tried accessing the site from my iPhone. And as I expected (accessing the FULL SITE, Smugmug does offer mobile version but I just tapped full site), the slideshow couldn't load. So I suggest something that is more compatible with a wider variety of devices (don't use the mobile version) and will load faster, Java seems to load slow.-Steve
As to mobile site, I'm not sure what to do about that. I really like the slide-show style but I don't think there is a way to make the slide-show mobile friendly. Or more accurately, that is WAY beyond my ability. The SmugMug mobile site works fine but it is much more stripped down. That may be a long term work.

I thank you all for taking the time to view and comments. I have found your advice of great benefit.

Regards
Tony
07-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thank you all for the feed back. The one common factor as pointed out by you was a big help. The slide show looked great on IE but failed in Chrome. I think I can safely guess that those of you who commented re the slideshow size were on Chrome, if not can you let me know. I believe I've fixed this now so of any of you still see a small slide show, I would appreciate your feedback and include your browser type.
The slide show size looks reasonable to me using Firefox v22.

Some great shots on the site BTW.
07-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
The slide show size looks reasonable to me using Firefox v22.

Some great shots on the site BTW.
Thank you kindly Tako, for the feedback and the compliment.
That takes care of 3/4 of the most common browsers. Anyone on Safari (not mobile version)?
07-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #11

I just went thru the slide show again. I love it and I am using IE10, I really can't remember what size it showed up before. Did it also change in IE as well as Chrome? They just seem bigger and sharper to me.
You do great work, and really should be proud of it.
07-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Old Man Quote
I just went thru the slide show again. I love it and I am using IE10, I really can't remember what size it showed up before. Did it also change in IE as well as Chrome? They just seem bigger and sharper to me.
You do great work, and really should be proud of it.
Thank you. I made global changes to the whole slideshow setup. It's just that the custom set-up before worked well in IE so the change isn't as noticeable as it will be in Chrome. The main different might be I removed the border, perhaps that makes the pictures seem sharper?