Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Constructing the World's Largest Self-Anchored Suspension Bridge

QuoteQuote:
After 25 years as a boilermaker, shipfitter and welder, photographer Joseph Blum knows his way around construction sites. His remarkable photographs take us behind-the-scenes on the construction of the new eastern span of San Francisco’s bay bridge, and are on view at the San Francisco Arts Commission gallery through September.

07-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice shots but they bring up a point that is well worth considering. Understand, I am not knocking Mr. Blum, but there are many many many photographers right here on this forum that could do as well or better if they had the opportunity and access.
09-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Nice shots but they bring up a point that is well worth considering. Understand, I am not knocking Mr. Blum, but there are many many many photographers right here on this forum that could do as well or better if they had the opportunity and access.
Access is access tho. Exclusivity as a photographer could (and probably will) separate one photographer from others who have photos of things anyone can capture. If you can't get access and opportunity then you can't get a better photo. I will say- the photos are good, not great but when knows the parameters in which he was taking them.

As an architectural designer, I've gotten access to places the average person cannot. Sucks I would only get a few snapshots (I'm working on capturing interesting moments throughout my travels).

Example:

Took this with my work/office's DSLR at a construction project happening on Central Park West. Not the best shot, shot in jpeg (little editing) plus there was all sorts of crap on lens/sensor but I knew I'd want to capture this breathtaking view.

"Access" lends itself to the saying in the business industry "It's not what you know but who you know."
09-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Access is the key. I remember back in the mid-Sixties when I was a trainee radio technician, my fellow trainees and I would don hard hats and walk around construction sites. The hard hat was the passport.

These days, with security, it would be a bit harder. One would need a fluorescent orange safety vest, too!

09-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Did you see the whole set? Some of them are very well composed imho, like the shot with the traffic jam. He mentioned in the article that sometimes he'll only have five minutes at a particular location, while it might take weeks to prepare for the conditions. At that moment the weather might or might not be idea.

I think the one of the person welding and others taken in tight corners are particularly good. I like the composition and looking at the perspective distortion of the lens, I can imagine for some of those shots he's standing (or suspended) really close to the subjects.