Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
Forum Member

Exposure of backdrop in studio

How should I expose the backdrop in studio photography? Does it need to be lighter, or does it even matter?

07-28-2013, 04:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

wow next time upload a smaller image please XD

About the backdrop, it depends on what you want. If you want this result then you're doing it right.
If you want it darker increase the distance between the model and the back drop or place your flash closer to the model.
You want light then do the oppiste or spereately light the back drop
07-28-2013, 04:55 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
wow next time upload a smaller image please XD

About the backdrop, it depends on what you want. If you want this result then you're doing it right.
If you want it darker increase the distance between the model and the back drop or place your flash closer to the model.
You want light then do the oppiste or spereately light the back drop
Thanks for the tips, I sometimes forget everyone doesn't have blazing fast internet like I do here. My question was more about the industry standard, if there is one. The tips help a lot though, I felt like a fish out of water when doing this because hardly ever use flash, and never have shot in a studio.
07-28-2013, 06:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The file size is okay but the photo does not scale correctly on my tablet so i've a huge photo and text that is 2 pixel high XD

There is no standard because it's an art form.
If you want to make a photo for a passport for example then you've rules and standards but for the rest you're free to do what you like.

Flash adds an dimension to photography so you need to relearn some things.
It's certainly not a bad photo for yout first try.

If you want to progress you could try to replicate some photo's, that would increase your udnerstanding quite a bit.

07-28-2013, 07:12 AM   #5

Look at the strobist website and search YouTube for portrait lighting, and you will find some great tips on using flash. Everyone has different tastes on background lighting, and it depends on what you are trying to convey. Some use a chromakey green or bright white screen and remove the background to make a composite image with a new background(s). In your photo, I think a better lit white background with a tighter crop would be an improvement, but that's my taste. You are already starting with beautiful models, and I like the expression of the model on the left. Good luck and show us more!
07-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stock photography often requires the background to be "white" or in some cases "black."
If you dont have a boss to tell you what kind of photo he wants, you can do whatever you think looks best.
The only thing that bothers me in that photo is the black line in the left side. If you use a backdrop, it should be uniform.
07-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
If you use a backdrop, it should be uniform.
The line is indeed not good but there is no rule that it needs to be uniform and you can get some very nice effects as well.

07-29-2013, 01:25 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

Any backdrop, texture or colour, will do as long as it does not interfere with the subject. Be creative.
And learn to focus properly, the hand on the shoulder is sharp, the rest isn't. (Unless this is what you wanted, but somehow I doubt it)

Greetings
07-29-2013, 04:17 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys, as for the black line, that is getting cropped out. I have a series of 70 or so shots, and just picked one quickly to ask because I need to turn these in ASAP. I showed up with no knowledge it was going to be an indoor studio shoot, and really felt like was under a lot of pressure because there were probably 30 or 40 people in the studio with me (I've always been more of a street photographer)!!! Out of dumb luck, I got a job doing photography for a local magazine here in Taipei despite not really being very experienced at all. I appreciate all the criticism, and I'll share the final photos when I'm done editing if you like.
07-29-2013, 04:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If the graduated effect in the background is inline with the models, I'd imagine that's fine. Generally I would prefer brighter/more overexposed background than what you have here.