Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
(sorry about the thread revival) - This has been really useful Heie, I have my first wedding shoot coming up and to say that it is a little daunting is a massive understatement. I am wondering if you could comment on your lens selection for the wedding. I notice that you packed many different lenses, but it seems that you favoured the 77mm and the DA* 16-50. If you were to do another wedding what lenses would you take?

Secondly, were there any unexpected issues that you had to deal with on the day?

Thanks for your help.

01-24-2014, 12:30 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Awesome read on your experience. Plenty of good advise in here.
01-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Lauren, think of me as your adventure wedding photographer. Think there's a market for that? You know, proposals while skydiving (key word "while" - none of this after hitting the ground nonsense), wedding ceremonies where the wedding invitation has nothing but grid coordinates and the wedding guests have to navigate through rough terrain to get there. That kind of thing
I've spent some time the past few days looking through wedding photo threads and trying to absorb as much advice as possible. My youngest daughter announced she is getting married on Valentines Day which is coming up in just a couple of weeks. The adventure wedding comment just stood out to me as funny as her plans are to get married out on the ice of Lake George. I suppose this should be considered normal for a girl born and raised in the Adirondacks. The ice plans may not happen as there was recently a thaw and it may not be safe. Regardless, it's happening outdoors. It appears as though I will be the official photographer along with my oldest daughter as the couple of inquires I made have ended with dead silence. Adventure weddings do happen and finding a wedding photographer to do one is not easy. So far, I have found no advice on shooting a wedding outdoors in below freezing (maybe below 0 but I hope not) weather.

Alex, your wedding shots are great. The couple should be very pleased.
01-24-2014, 06:16 PM   #19
Pentaxian

What a great job you did, Alex. Excellent documenting of your experiences too.

01-24-2014, 11:38 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Alex, I resonate with a few of the things you said.

The dressing to suit the occasion is right. I went to a wedding recently and one of the photographers was walking about in very casual clothes complete with a towel hanging out - he was not at the Australian Open - and the day was only mid 30s. There are times I have done events wearing a suit. The suit jacket pockets are wonderful as a cargo vest - they fit old STaks quite well. I also like to travel light so I might select a few lenses for the trip.

I have done a number of weddings in the fairly informal role of a guest who does some pictures for the couple by invitation to do so. That way the couple and many guests are people I know (and same is true for other events I record). That gives me an insight into the people and relationships that makes me good at the support role, but not the formal directing role (also not really my personality to do the latter.)

One wedding I went to, in the tropics, I wore a suit, and discovered the couple had organised EVERYTHING but a still photographer, for a wedding with 800 guests at the groom's place the first night and 500 at the brides the next night. Captured a set that told an interesting story because I was doing the observation mode rather than posing.

But I would not really want to be THE photographer, like you were. That puts different expectations.
01-25-2014, 01:05 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Was an interesting read. I like the military precision in not just the preparation, but the recounting of the events. After doing my first, very informal wedding myself last year and being far less experienced I encountered many of the same problems. Without rehashing what others have said, I too had the problem of not being assertive enough (I was actually surprised about hearing that coming from a military officer). I had times where we were doing group photos and I had trouble getting the whole party to look at me when there were dozens of others taking pictures at the same time. I didn't notice this until after the event and looking through the pictures.

Did you use the K30 at all, or was this purely as backup? I've picked up a 2nd body now and in the future will have a K-3/FA77 & K-30/FA31 on me to save lens swaps. I am sure I can do the vast majority with these two lenses.
01-25-2014, 02:17 AM   #22
Pentaxian

nice story, very nice photo's and a great book.

01-27-2014, 04:16 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow, I was not expecting this thread to get revived and with this much attention. I will reply to your comments when I get the chance. First, the HD 55-300 WR review is being wrapped up, and then I fly to Finland for a week-long training event Wednesday morning at 0300.

In short, thank you!

-Heie
01-27-2014, 08:15 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Your threads are concise, intelligent, informative and fun! And you are spot on about how to dress! Having a slob as your photographer detracts from the event!
Since you're the best spokesman we got, when is Pentax going to put you on the payroll!
01-31-2014, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Damn, you're good!
02-01-2014, 07:16 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Thanks very much for sharing your experience. Wonderful achievement!
02-01-2014, 07:43 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I've read this thread several times and love it. This should be a "must read" for everyone!
02-09-2014, 05:57 PM   #28

This was a great thread to stumble upon. I love your photos. I have been asked to shoot 2 weddings this spring. As weddings were never something I've ever set out to do I've decided to take on the task. So reading this helps and I will probably go back and re-read it a few times. I'm working hard to get my flash photography up to par before the big days. I have a AF360FGZ that i'm starting to chip away at so i'm hoping i can get photos half as good as yours.
02-10-2014, 06:55 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Alex,

I know I'm a bit late with this as you've probably shot a dozen weddings by now, but congratulations on a great shoot and a fantastic write up! I've read through it twice now and that's not something that I usually do, keep up the excellent work!

Steve
02-15-2014, 09:34 AM   #30
mee
Veteran Member

Good work and thank you for sharing with us!

I've never photographed a wedding, but have been pretty deeply involved in proper lighting tutorials/books/presentations recently all, interestingly, hosted by wedding photographers. What a seemingly daunting situation! I say you did a really good job all around of capturing the whole event. Having a second body seems almost paramount in these situations with a zoom on one and a prime on the other (would be my take) to keep lens changing down and missing unreproducible scenes. Good call.

One tip though would be in directing your subjects towards the light when possible and avoiding direct, overhead light as well... you can turn the bride's face, as example, towards a light source (her body away) and position the flash bounce back up and diagonally when you can't.. generally women look good in side-lighting (curves), men more when the chest and shoulders are lit. But yeah bouncing diagonally tends to reduce the chance of harsh shadows around the eyes and gives a much pleasing larger light source. Now, getting this right in the heat of 'battle' is another thing I know.

One question, I had, is how did you remove the portapotty from the one image with PSE?

Good work and thanks again for sharing it with us!

Last edited by mee; 02-15-2014 at 06:47 PM.