Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #1

Used pentax gear in BC, Canada

Does any member from BC, Canada know where can i find a place to dig for used pentax lenses?
I continuously read about amazing deals people find on lenses... I am really interested in a cheap 50mm 1.4 FA and FA 28mm

Anybody knows where can i find a good place? any recommendation?

08-07-2013, 04:19 AM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jrcastillo Quote
Does any member from BC, Canada know where can i find a place to dig for used pentax lenses?
I continuously read about amazing deals people find on lenses... I am really interested in a cheap 50mm 1.4 FA and FA 28mm

Anybody knows where can i find a good place? any recommendation?
Try on kijiji.ca, you could ask shipping if the lens isn't in BC.
08-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #3

I'm in Vancouver, and the only places left that carry a decent amount of used gear are Kerrisdale Cameras and Leo's. Unfortunately, at around the time the K5 was released there seemed to be a huge drop in availability of good used lenses here. I've been told by a Kerrisdale salesperson that any interesting or rare Pentax lenses go fast these days.

I've found Craigslist to be the best source for used stuff here in recent times. If only so many Clist users didn't have such an inflated opinion of the value of their gear...
08-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #4

Also in Vancouver. Yes, the prices on Craigslist are terrible in here. I haven't done in, but on paper it seems like often you are better off buying at KEH, paying the 50$ shipping and import taxes. At least for the DSLRs.

08-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mago Quote
Also in Vancouver. Yes, the prices on Craigslist are terrible in here. I haven't done in, but on paper it seems like often you are better off buying at KEH, paying the 50$ shipping and import taxes. At least for the DSLRs.
that's exactly why i went ahead and wrote this post. I noticed that craigslist prices for old used gear is way way higher (often 2x) as much as i found on ebay.

example : Pentax-A 50mm 1.7 I bought ebay for 60. Sold on local craigslist for 100.

I will give Leo's and Kerrisdale camera a try. if not, i think my best bet will be KEH, ebay or the forum's marketplace (which always has good stuff actually )

Thanks all for your answers!
08-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #6

Don't knock craigslist. Things I have seen there sometimes are great. Helios 44m4 for 20$. Macro lens for 30$. A fully auto macro lens for 50$, was a good deal even though it is permanently stuck at f/22. Probably repairable. A *ist DS for 50$, damaged color output. Still, you can do B&W or use RAW mode which probably would have been fine... You get the idea.

Edit: Yeah, but mostly *very* overpriced.
08-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #7

Original Poster
yes. i never forget about checking craigslist. However, I will keep it as secondary source as good prices are not there all the time

08-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #8

There have been some good deals on Craigslist here, certainly. Right now there are actually a couple of very good third party lenses with reasonable asking prices. It does seem like the marketplace here might be the best place we have left though! On the canada post truck as we speak is a lens I ordered through here, from the eastern US, only a week ago.

There is also a photo equipment swap here every spring that has had some very good prices on both new and used in the past. Can't remember what it's called but it's usually held on the Easter weekend out in Coquitlam. It's worth going to even if you're not planning on buying anything IMO.
08-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by novosel Quote
Easter weekend out in Coquitlam.
i might look into that.
08-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #10
GPZ
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You should go take a look at this site: Vintage Visuals Photographic. The guy is in Calgary and has several used lens listed. There is no real bargains but the prices are relatively fair (I think..). I bought a 50mm K 1.4 from him and have no complaint.
08-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve found a lot of good used Pentax gear at Kerrisdale Cameras, but that was a few years ago. Leo’s Cameras also is a good bet.

The Vancouver Camera Swap meet that’s held every April in Burnaby is also a good bet and there is sometimes a show in November at the Croatian Cultural centre.

Other than that try KEH, as they have a huge inventory or one of the other online stores.
There are a few in Europe that have a great selection.

Phil.
08-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Camera Traders

They are in Victoria.
08-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I’ve found a lot of good used Pentax gear at Kerrisdale Cameras, but that was a few years ago. Leo’s Cameras also is a good bet.

The Vancouver Camera Swap meet that’s held every April in Burnaby is also a good bet and there is sometimes a show in November at the Croatian Cultural centre.

Other than that try KEH, as they have a huge inventory or one of the other online stores.
There are a few in Europe that have a great selection.

Phil.
As Phil said Kerrisdale and Leo's are good places to look to start. The other is Salvation army stores. I've purchased my share of lenses from the US and when you factor in the "brokerage" cost from the US plus GST & PST the prices are that much different on Craigslist to what you see on ebay or even here. UPS is the worst for this USPS is a better option but not much. The exception is a lens you really like you should expect to pay a premium and end up paying more once you factor in taxes and brokerage.

Good luck and have fun with it.
08-08-2013, 12:10 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The reason you see only crappy listings is because the good deals get snapped up really fast. I know, as I've gotten a few of them, and I've just missed out on even more of them.

I have made decent money buying lenses through the local Craigslist listings and selling them here on the forums (just ask richardwong ).

Gastownphoto has decent deals on a few select items. Right now they have a sale on the Pentax OVF-1 viewfinder for the Pentax Q. $125! That slaughters any other price on the internet for that item. They also routinely get DA 35 2.4's for $190 including tax, which isn't bad.

London Drugs had some deals during Christmas last year that were maybe only $20 off similar pricings through other online stores. They only carry newer stuff though.

Wow, I didn't realize there were lots of Vancouverites here.
08-08-2013, 12:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I see some nice lens on Craigslist Victoria but too bad they are on the island...definitely would pull the trigger as the deals were tempting...