Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Bottom-line is that it is a feature NO user will want. So if it became ubiquitous, i.e. all devices would not work (not just Apple), then it might because one of those things people are willing to suffer. But just for Apple -- a prized patented feature they must protect? Makes no sense from the user perspective unless it is somehow going to allow Apple to secure content that will not be available anywhere else...
Everfy concert I've been to in the last five years the introducer "asks" us not to use cameras and phones because "the flash and LCD light disturb the other patrons" anyway.

So if the promoters demand it, Apple licenses all the other smartphone makers too.

Easy Peasy.

08-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you go to "airplane mode" how can they communicate with the camera?
08-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
If it's based on location, will the GPS still be active? Can't say I've ever checked whilst in-flight.

Anyway, who says it's going to be something the user can't opt in or out of? There's always paranoid speculation abroad, especially where the potential for OS trolling exists. Does Apple have a history of locking users out of making their own content? It locks up content purchase through iTunes, but that's hardly the same thing. Does Apple have a history of reframing its users as content for its paying customers? I think we know who does that, now, though it's possible Apple could be overturning its strategy and becoming like its opponents, but I suspect not. We'll find out.
08-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #19
Banned

:
Would Apple like you to buy a P&S camera to use instead of the iPhone?

I have somehow speculated that it is in Apple's earnest interest to postpone, stretch and delay of issuing of software updates, new versions of camera RAW support, their professional photo editing software, etc. — as much as possible.

Last edited by Uluru; 08-11-2013 at 11:00 PM.
08-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Bah, who cares about civil rights as long as folks can share their cat photos on <insert latest social media fad here>.
With over 7 billion human beings on the planet are pictures of everyone's wife and kids any more interesting? The most popular shots on Facebook appear to be what people had for lunch.. now that's as boring as it gets.
08-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #21
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
With over 7 billion human beings on the planet are pictures of everyone's wife and kids any more interesting? The most popular shots on Facebook appear to be what people had for lunch.. now that's as boring as it gets.
Like this?

A half eaten plate of sushi. I met up with a friend in South Carolina a couple years back, who had never eaten it.

She loved t!
08-12-2013, 06:43 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
If it's based on location, will the GPS still be active? Can't say I've ever checked whilst in-flight..
It shouldn't be. All cell phones use "Assisted GPS" so they need a cell tower for the initial location.

08-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
...or just simply operate "off-network". I don't know about IOS, but my Android device lets me operate just fine off-line.

Steve
08-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

AFAIK Airplane Mode turns off all radios on the device, so GPS doesn't work.
08-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Then just buy one of these and tell Apple to f$%K off.
(SR5) Hot! First images of the new DSC-QX10 and DSC-QX100 lens-cameras! | sonyalpharumors
08-13-2013, 05:19 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Except they work with an iPhone!

Sorry to spoil a good story...
08-13-2013, 06:50 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Except they work with an iPhone!

Sorry to spoil a good story...
But they don't work with the iPhone's camera, so if Apple did disable the camera it wouldn't matter. This uses the Sony camera and software (app) that you install on your phone.
08-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
But they don't work with the iPhone's camera, so if Apple did disable the camera it wouldn't matter. This uses the Sony camera and software (app) that you install on your phone.
Yes, I read the article. I thought you were speaking generally, rather than just about the disabling of the in-phone camera. I do think, though, that people are jumping to conclusions about how this process might be used.
08-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Like this?

A half eaten plate of sushi. I met up with a friend in South Carolina a couple years back, who had never eaten it.

She loved t!
Yep, like that!