Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Apple granted patent disabling cameras on phones

Apple has recently been granted its patent enabling it to disable the camera and recording on its devices based on geographical location. So, if you are recording a political protest, police action or in your favorite movie theater or music concert, Apple will be able to disable your device. I think that you can figure that the police will want this capability extended to Android devices also.

This might be an excellent reason to keep the P&S camera...

08-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
Pentaxian

If they got a patent for it, then they will sue anybody else tries to have that feature so now you're less likely to see it on Android. Course it is not exactly a selling point for the user -- this probably has more to do with making deals with content providers rather than trying to prevent you from recording street demonstrations, anything to do with police, etc. I'm not sure what interest Apple would have preventing you from recording things, even in movie theaters or concerts. Apple isn't making any money off the show, and it will just make people not want to use Apple products with that capability. What's in it for them?
08-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If you are stupid enough to buy a device that allows a manufacturer (or a provider) to enable or disable features while you are using it, without your consent, then you must accept all the consequences.
08-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Bah, who cares about civil rights as long as folks can share their cat photos on <insert latest social media fad here>.

08-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
AoCo
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
'm not sure what interest Apple would have preventing you from recording things, even in movie theaters or concerts. Apple isn't making any money off the show, and it will just make people not want to use Apple products with that capability. What's in it for them?
That's easy. Apple will take a significant, single-use licensing fee from the concert promoter to disable recording at the venue. Voila! No more legal fees to force YouTube to take down those bootleg videos.
08-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That's easy. Apple will take a significant, single-use licensing fee from the concert promoter to disable recording at the venue. Voila! No more legal fees to force YouTube to take down those bootleg videos.
Ah, now that would be something promoters would pay for! Sadly, Apple would need to have a near monopoly on handheld recording devices to press an advantage there... of course, the venue security could say "Apple iPhones, go on in... all other phones, drop them here in this bucket." <scary emoticon here>
08-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #7
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
If you are stupid enough to buy a device that allows a manufacturer (or a provider) to enable or disable features while you are using it, without your consent, then you must accept all the consequences.
For sure. This whole "smrat phon" craze ha created, no, drawn out all the Zombies among us. Suddenly, almost overnight, everywhere you go there they are, intently focused on the things, thumbs hastily pecking away. They are everywhere, in the line at the store checkout, stumbling along on sidewalks, even while driving when they should be focused on driving.

I even see them at restaurants, each Zombie completely zoned out, instead of socializing with each other and enjoying a good meal together.

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Bah, who cares about civil rights as long as folks can share their cat photos on <insert latest social media fad here>.
Exactly!

I have an ordinary cell phone, and intend to stick with that type of mobile communication. Should there come a time when the only option is the smrat phon I may just forsake cellular phones all together. I still have a land line at home, as the cell service there is nonexistent, and the land line is the only way to get internet at home (ADSL).

Oh, and you know, there are 101 uses for a dead cat.

08-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Sadly, Apple would need to have a near monopoly on handheld recording devices to press an advantage there...
They're working on that.

08-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Oh, and you know, there are 101 uses for a dead cat.
LOL...I have that book on my bookshelf alongside the follow up......101 uses for a dead human.

Re. the phone at concerts suggestion I could actually see that coming in to play at some of the bigger events. I do however find it a bit disconcerting that you can buy a device that the manufacture can then alter at their whim and you have no control over.

Makes me rather glad that I have managed to go this long without owning any form of cell phone.
08-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
I guess all of us with smart phones fall into that "stupid" category. Most of the apps on my phone (even core functionality) are cloud-dependent, meaning that elements of data and logic are on a remote server somewhere with access gated by the existence of a current and valid data plan from the phone provider.

We own the device, but its functionality is pay-per-service.

Steve
08-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I guess all of us with smart phones fall into that "stupid" category. Most of the apps on my phone (even core functionality) are cloud-dependent, meaning that elements of data and logic are on a remote server somewhere with access gated by the existence of a current and valid data plan from the phone provider.

We own the device, but its functionality is pay-per-service.

Steve
Well, I'm actually in the same category as Tako Kichi. I didn't dare to mention that I abandoned my phone several years ago because of privacy reasons, because everybody would laugh at me. But now it's actually the other way around, with the NSA snooping on all of us.
08-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
But as soon as they do, the negative PR towards Apple will be overwhelming. It wouldn't be worth it for Apple to make a few bucks at concerts to piss off their whole user base. After all, people mostly just want to take pics/videos of themselves and their friends at events...
08-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
But as soon as they do, the negative PR towards Apple will be overwhelming. It wouldn't be worth it for Apple to make a few bucks at concerts to piss off their whole user base. After all, people mostly just want to take pics/videos of themselves and their friends at events...
It a feature designed to protect the user from lawsuit

Steve
08-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It a feature designed to protect the user from lawsuit
That put a different spin on it!
08-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Bottom-line is that it is a feature NO user will want. So if it became ubiquitous, i.e. all devices would not work (not just Apple), then it might because one of those things people are willing to suffer. But just for Apple -- a prized patented feature they must protect? Makes no sense from the user perspective unless it is somehow going to allow Apple to secure content that will not be available anywhere else...