Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I took a commission a few weeks ago with a local restaurant......

Pentax won a huge fan in this local artist and he's already talking about sending more assignments my way. (oh joy. I prefer being a hermit )

Note: The images here are not the full resolution images I showed to the client...but you get the idea!
Great stuff! Thanks for sharing Lauren.

08-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Great stuff! Thanks for sharing Lauren.
Thanks!

08-31-2013, 11:45 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Crazy stuff over this project. It appears some of the locals who have seen the proofs, have gone gaga. I can't explain it, but I suppose folks really love our little town, and love images of it.

The time of day/night and aesthetic of the images seem to be very popular. It's surreal how many people are contacting me over them.

Today, I was at the restaurant for lunch, and the owner came up to me and said he wanted to open a booth/tent in front of his restaurant during the upcoming art show.

He wants me to sell the images that are going to hang in his restaurant and whatever other images I want from my collections.

Huh? Kinda flattering.

As for the booth/tent? It's not easy to get a space. They are pretty expensive for the art show and sell out.
The owner of the restaurant is using his clout to get a space, and he's going to pay for it.
The restaurant is on the main drag for the show, and is prime real-estate, so for the owner to pay for the tent, and place it in front of his restaurant, is a huge coup for Pentax and my work.

In Florida, there is NO Pentax presence. All the local Photography snobs are all about Canikon.

I so wish I had a Pentax banner of some sort.

Alas, we know how Pentax works.
08-31-2013, 12:23 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Great story, great images!

08-31-2013, 12:24 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Great story, great images!
Thanks!
08-31-2013, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lauren in this time of trolling Listing errors and paint colors and trim rings and strobist angst it SO refreshing to hear something positive from a member about work with Pentax gear! Congratulations - and keep us posted on your progress. No one deserves the acclaim more!
08-31-2013, 12:57 PM   #52
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Great job done I would say.

08-31-2013, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Lauren in this time of trolling Listing errors and paint colors and trim rings and strobist angst it SO refreshing to hear something positive from a member about work with Pentax gear! Congratulations - and keep us posted on your progress. No one deserves the acclaim more!
Thanks!

I really don't know what is going on.

What I *think* is going on, is the era of iPhone cameras, GoPro and Instagram has created a void.

Real, honest images, printed and framed are in CRAZY demand these days. Kinda a throwback to a "classical aesthetic".

Depth of field, detail and control and other technical factors are absent from the phone-cam crowd and it shows.

The K5 and FA limiteds along with the DA* zooms are KILLERS!!!!!

I think if Pentax can keep their act together, and still make "tools" like the K5 and 645D, then it can only get better for serious photographers.

Ironically, all this attention was NOT what I wanted when I started this project. I'm in it for the images and photography. When I have been asked about buying prints - and this is even before the final showing later this month - I kind of deflect.

It's an interesting time, or maybe just a local phenomenon but people WANT to buy original images that they can hang on their walls.

Again, what makes this a win for Pentax, is that some people remember Pentax and they seem to nod their heads when they find I am using Pentax gear - as if to say "of course of course". So in a weird way, using Pentax and producing, is kinda a cool retro hipster - aw heck I dunno, it's just plain weird.
08-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's awesome, Lauren! You have done a wonderful job and such work is being rewarded the way it deserves. Honestly, so often you see crappy photos on the walls of restaurants, it is refreshing to see really well done shots in such a place.

Congratulations!
08-31-2013, 02:47 PM   #55
Veteran Member

for the owner to pay for the tent, and place it in front of his restaurant, is a huge coup for Pentax and my work
It's great that Pentax tools helped you achieve all of this, but you certainly deserve the lion's share of the credit. Having said that, I also freakin' love what my Pentax gear does for me. This was one of the first shots I took with my Q the other day. I wouldn't agree that it is "point and shoot quality," and I'd be surprised if most people thought it was from a point and shoot.

(Sorry if I hijacked the thread for a second...I only meant to illustrate your point about the quality of the tools)...
08-31-2013, 03:19 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
That's awesome, Lauren! You have done a wonderful job and such work is being rewarded the way it deserves. Honestly, so often you see crappy photos on the walls of restaurants, it is refreshing to see really well done shots in such a place.

Congratulations!
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
It's great that Pentax tools helped you achieve all of this, but you certainly deserve the lion's share of the credit. Having said that, I also freakin' love what my Pentax gear does for me. This was one of the first shots I took with my Q the other day. I wouldn't agree that it is "point and shoot quality," and I'd be surprised if most people thought it was from a point and shoot.

(Sorry if I hijacked the thread for a second...I only meant to illustrate your point about the quality of the tools)...
That is a beautiful shot!

I love my Q as much as the next, but as a tool, for an assignment like this, the use of *my* Q would have been the wrong tool as battery power, dynamic range and poster sized enlargements would highlight it's shortcomings.

I shoot with a Q, K-01 and of course my two K5 cameras often. It's not uncommon for me to have ALL of them out with me at the same time!

I'd LOVE to have a 645D, but when I need a tool like the 645D, I go with my film 645.

I think Pentax has a very affordable and complete toolset when you take the Q,K-01 and K5 together.

The coming months will be a very interesting time for what tools Pentax introduces.

(I just can't begin to say things like "When Ricoh introduces", so bear with me).

09-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

(I just can't begin to say things like "When Ricoh introduces", so bear with me).
I have to agree with you there!
(With BMW owning Rolls Royce, it would be the same as saying "When BMW introduces", and I'm not about to start referring to my Landrover as a Tata 4x4! Tata owns both Landrover and Jaguar)
09-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Tata owns both Landrover and Jaguar
If the Indian economy continues on its current path maybe not for long.
09-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #59

The theater reminds me a lot of our local theater:

Not my image.

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE:
In Florida, there is NO Pentax presence. All the local Photography snobs are all about Canikon.

I so wish I had a Pentax banner of some sort.

Alas, we know how Pentax works.
Have you contacted anyone from Ricoh/Pentax? It couldn't hurt to ask, and they would probably jump on the free publicity. Good luck.
09-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by npridgeon Quote
The theater reminds me a lot of our local theater:

Have you contacted anyone from Ricoh/Pentax? It couldn't hurt to ask, and they would probably jump on the free publicity. Good luck.
That is an awesome Theatre!
Hmm...maybe a theme?

I did contact someone at Ricoh/Pentax, but I have low expectations since I am one of the vocal folks that can't stand Ricoh right now - and they know it.

I'd rather be free to voice my displeasure than to be "bought out" or "sell out" just because they (Ricoh) give me something.

On the flip side, this has been a good week as we now have 2 new flashes and a DA limited makeover, but I'm still looking for wins for Pentax and not necessarily Ricoh.

The last thing I want is "Ricoh" promotional material.

I'd love some of the good 'ol "Pentax" in bright red letters!