Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
11-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
late to the party, but beautiful shots.
Really happy to hear that the show went well for you.

there's something about those train pictures that really gets to me, i just love 'em!
Thanks!

11-24-2013, 07:29 PM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Woo Hoo Lauren!! Way to tell 'em! I'm really happy you had a good show.

Good stuff is coming - I promise.
11-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Woo Hoo Lauren!! Way to tell 'em! I'm really happy you had a good show.

Good stuff is coming - I promise.
Yeah, it was a GREAT show.

They even had judges too, but because I was sharing the tent with "slacker-boy-wanna-bee" they took off points because of him.

The judges - several of them - were like "These images are beautiful! So "old school classic". Things like "So refreshing to see technique over HDR or special processing".
They even told me they were "Sorry because of who I was sharing the space with".

It was an amazing day/weekend with all the photographers coming over to see.
Lots of folks took my cards and gave me theirs.

I think one of the coolest moments of the weekend, was a guy, was kinda walking quickly, when he went past the booth.
He was wearing sunglasses.
He stopped and veered into the tent to look at the images.
He then took off his sunglasses and put his reading glasses on.
Then, as he got closer to the images, he took out cleaning cloth, and wiped the glasses clean.
He stood there for minutes looking at all the detail of the K5 and my images.
Silently he studied the images.

As I watched him, he realized that I was, and gave me a smile, to which I said "Sunglasses, then reading glasses, and then you cleaned them? I'm good for the rest of the day. You had me at Reading Glasses!"

11-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ya know the photography is the passion, and I've got heaps of that.
There is that something extra, something so unbelievably satisfying to say "Pentax" when they think the world revolves around Canikony.

I don't say it nasty or condescending. Just matter of fact.

It's so much fun. It really, really is.

11-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I suppose this thread is moving into "shooting at night" - but it's still a win for Pentax because of the extra power that is built into the K5.
No other Pentax camera, not even the 645D accepts two batteries.

I love the challenge of being tired, hot, cold, wet, scared or emotional when I am taking pictures.

Shooting in the cold/night is also one of my favorite things to do, but living in Florida really limits that.
There is a special experience when you leave your warm winter house, to go outside to take pictures in the winter night.
The silence and clear air. The crunching of the frozen ground.
The fact that not many critters or people are moving about at night - preferring to be inside warm and cozy.

When the environment is hostile, it takes special effort to keep a creative fire burning.
As a human, we want to be safe and secure, and it's a wonderful rush to be taking pictures and using a different part of your brain against the primal urges that tell you to stop!

As more and more iPhotography folks overrun the industry, folks who take their "ancient" DSLR cameras into these kind of situations will become rare and the images taken will transcend anything you can put an Instagram filter on.

Tell me how a smart phone can get star-trails behind a barren frozen tree on a moonless night in freezing temps, with a 90 second exposure and shallow depth of field?

Sounds like another win for Pentax.
Just love this post! Great job Lauren