Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #1

Another Adorama Shipping problem

Well, add me to the list... the envelope was not broken, but this is no way to package a lens for shipment. Just a padded envelope.

Helen, if you are reading this, I've sent you an email.

Attached Images

08-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #2

Original Poster
Even Adorama's return policy says to pack in a box:

"Securely package the product you wish to return within an outer box. Do not write or place shipping labels or stickers on the manufacturer's packaging."
08-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Seems like a trend? Or a continuation of one?
08-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah. Seems like Adorama must have bought stock in the padded envelope company. This happened to me once a few years ago. I'll never order anything from them again.

08-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't buy much from Adorama but I may start. 80% of the time when i buy from B&H the original mfg packaging is damaged. Most of the time it's a dent in one or more corners. This annoys the crap out of me. And one lens (DFA 100mm macro) was defective out of the box.
08-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

In defence of Adorama I've placed three orders with them since the end of May and my packaging has always been very good. Everything came in boxes with more than enough of those 'air pillows' to stop things moving around.

It does seem like things are a bit hit and miss though with several reports now of lenses arriving in padded bags.
08-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Takumar55 Quote
Well, add me to the list... the envelope was not broken, but this is no way to package a lens for shipment. Just a padded envelope.
Does the padded envelope have the Adorama shipping label on it, or could it be another repackaging job by the shipping company, as brought out in this post?

08-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
Does the padded envelope have the Adorama shipping label on it, or could it be another repackaging job by the shipping company, as brought out in this post?
This is the original Adorama envelope. I didn't post a picture, because it has my personal information very predominantly on a couple labels. And to be clear and fair, the envelope was not damaged. I just expected more, especially given the comments from Helen in this thread about packing procedures

They have responded very quickly and are taking care of me. But I would like to know if this is their normal procedure or not. It's possible the lens is fine, but I'm personally not comfortable with this shipping method, and I would not have ordered had I known.

And BTW, I am 1 for 2 with lenses from them. First one was packed in a box.
08-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #9

Original Poster
Reporting back with some more info I received. Adorama's shipping policy is to use envelopes if the lens is on the smaller side. They say the lenses are padded well enough from the manufacturer and they have not had many complaints. But if you do order from them and want a box, contact a salesperson there, and they can flag the item for special packing.

I feel a little like I've made a mountain out of a molehill, so wanted to pass that on.
08-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Yeah. Seems like Adorama must have bought stock in the padded envelope company. This happened to me once a few years ago. I'll never order anything from them again.

They really must have. They shipped my 2 year warranty in one. LOL. That could have come in a legal envelope with no problem. At least they are consistent.
08-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #11

Original Poster
Another update, this time with some good news! Helen followed up on my situation and has told me that they are going to change their shipping policy. Anything over $250 will be flagged to be packed in a box. Hopefully this will capture all the delicate items anyone orders from Adorama. I suppose we still always have the option to contact them directly and request box shipping, too.
08-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Takumar55 Quote
Another update, this time with some good news! Helen followed up on my situation and has told me that they are going to change their shipping policy. Anything over $250 will be flagged to be packed in a box. Hopefully this will capture all the delicate items anyone orders from Adorama. I suppose we still always have the option to contact them directly and request box shipping, too.
This still sounds ridiculous to me. I wouldn't have my $200 lens or item to be shipped in a flaky envelop like that.

Their policy should be that anything that requires good protection should be shipped in a box, regardless of the value.
08-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
This still sounds ridiculous to me. I wouldn't have my $200 lens or item to be shipped in a flaky envelop like that.

Their policy should be that anything that requires good protection should be shipped in a box, regardless of the value.
If they can flag for a dollar value I would think they could also flag for an item 'type'. Therefore any order that contained a 'lens' of some sort could be flagged as requiring special packaging.

It shouldn't be too difficult to implement knowing how databases work and you can bet their inventory/store/shipping dept. is on some sort of database system.
08-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
If they can flag for a dollar value I would think they could also flag for an item 'type'. Therefore any order that contained a 'lens' of some sort could be flagged as requiring special packaging.

It shouldn't be too difficult to implement knowing how databases work and you can bet their inventory/store/shipping dept. is on some sort of database system.
I think they are trying to save few quarters here at the expense of loosing business.
08-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #15

Original Poster
Those are good suggestions. I just emailed them about the type indicator.

I'd be willing to give up free shipping if I knew my choice was envelope vs. box. I think the point is to ship properly first, then let the customer decide on price. The reason I was so bent out of shape to begin with is that I assumed for a high value, delicate item, it would be in a box. If I were selling a used lens on ebay, I wouldn't think of using an envelope. Just seems like common sense to me.