Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #1

Adorama Shipping Problem

I'm not sure how Adorama's customer service is rated so high. Maybe I'm just unlucky.

I was very excited to find an FA 50mm f/1.7 for about $120 on Adorama the other day (see the image here: Used Pentax 50/1.7 Smcp Lens *49mm). SUPER excitedly, I unwrapped my package to find an A 50mm f/1.7. I thought, "Adorama has good customer service; they'll correct this." Called them up, was misunderstood by the cs rep., and was sent an email about my "damaged" item. I try again the next day, same run-around. Him: "Just send it back to us and get a refund." Me: "I don't want a refund. I want the lens I ordered. My order should be filled as it was placed." Him: "Okay. I understand. I'm sending you instructions to send it in, and you can pay the difference when you buy the new lens." Frustrated, I tell him Adorama needs to fill my order and fix their mistake. "We can't do that." I thank him for his time and hang up.

Am I expecting too much?

08-16-2013, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nobby2007 Quote
I'm not sure how Adorama's customer service is rated so high. Maybe I'm just unlucky.

I was very excited to find an FA 50mm f/1.7 for about $120 on Adorama the other day (see the image here: Used Pentax 50/1.7 Smcp Lens *49mm). SUPER excitedly, I unwrapped my package to find an A 50mm f/1.7. I thought, "Adorama has good customer service; they'll correct this." Called them up, was misunderstood by the cs rep., and was sent an email about my "damaged" item. I try again the next day, same run-around. Him: "Just send it back to us and get a refund." Me: "I don't want a refund. I want the lens I ordered. My order should be filled as it was placed." Him: "Okay. I understand. I'm sending you instructions to send it in, and you can pay the difference when you buy the new lens." Frustrated, I tell him Adorama needs to fill my order and fix their mistake. "We can't do that." I thank him for his time and hang up.

Am I expecting too much?
The fine print <image does not represent actual item> under the image covers their a**

Typical bait and switch given the fact that they already got a complaint from a customer.
08-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
But, seriously. The image may not represent the actual item, but it should definitely represent the correct model! Goodness.
08-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

But, seriously. The image may not represent the actual item, but it should definitely represent the correct model! Goodness.
Correct for people with common sense. Not sure about Adorama.

Have you seen this thread?

08-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Check your Florida consumer protection laws related to unlawful trade practices. If you are serious about getting what you ordered, then you'll need a lawyer. In some states the vendor (Adorama) pays lawyer fees, which makes it relatively easy to find a consumer protection lawyer to take your case. I don't know anything about Florida law, and I know very little about the remedies available to you. I am not your lawyer.

Personally, I'd send it back for a refund.

Sure, they screwed up and they look like jerks. But they are offering to make you whole (albeit without getting a great deal).

Also, I'm selling an FA 50/1.4 in the marketplace. Be sure to check it out when making your plans. :P
08-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Am I expecting too much?
Email Helen@Adorama.com and let her help you.
08-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I looked at the add as it is still up, shows an fa as he said.
Don't think this site should continue supporting them as it is certainly purposly misleading advertising, not as if the
People there are not experianced or could not find the right picture.
Just because there is a get out of jail free line does not make it honest !
I will never deal with them.

08-16-2013, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
it is certainly purposly misleading advertising, not as if the
People there are not experianced or could not find the right picture.
Just because there is a get out of jail free line does not make it honest !
I will never deal with them.
Big assumption. They sell thousands of items. You think they are purposely screwing up to make 100 dollars despite bad press it would bring. Really?

The "get out of jail free line" it is not so they can sell the wrong model (though it happens to be), but because it was not intended as a photo of the actual single item.

This stuff happens all the time - you'd know if you spend any time on Amazon. Check the shipping weight vs product weight on a few items.

If everyone was perfect, that would be nice.
08-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Yes.
If you go to a restaurant and on the menu it shows steak for 10.00 and the waiter brings you a hotdog then says sorry
But if you want a steak it's ok we have one but it will cost you 20.00, what would you say ?
08-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Big assumption. They sell thousands of items. You think they are purposely screwing up to make 100 dollars despite bad press it would bring. Really?

The "get out of jail free line" it is not so they can sell the wrong model (though it happens to be), but because it was not intended as a photo of the actual single item.

This stuff happens all the time - you'd know if you spend any time on Amazon. Check the shipping weight vs product weight on a few items.

If everyone was perfect, that would be nice.
Agreed that this kind of mistake does happen very often so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. But come on, once a customer made a complaint and you acknowledge the mistake you must take the action right away and correct your mistake.
08-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #11
Adorama Camera Representative

This will be dealt with; but in response to the 'bait & switch' allegations.....we are selling almost 2,000 used items every day. One (or even 2) mistakes, don't mean that they were intentional.

The problem with the initial response is that the OP was calling into the CS team; the person in CS he spoke to SHOULD have referred him on to the used department, but as I am now aware of it, I will make sure it will be dealt with as it should have been, in the first place!

In response to the implied allegation that the incorrect image and description was left there intentionally; it appears that this occurred on a Friday afternoon - when we close early - and there may not have been anyone available to deal with changing the information on the website 'right away'. However, it has been done, now.

I will continue the discussion re how this mistake will be corrected, with the OP directly
08-18-2013, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I believe your second sentence sums up your whole experience. Adorama has had a long standing reputation as a dealer who stands behind what they sell as well as excellent customer service. Their commitment has been demonstrated numerous times on this board by Helen Oster. Instead of others making accusations, I believe we should let this matter rest until Helen has a chance to sort things out instead of jumping to conclusions and making wildly false allegations.
Closed Thread