Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-20-2013, 11:45 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have Crumpler, Billingham and Think Tank - the Think Tank Retrospective is the most comfortable and easiest to use in the field by far

08-21-2013, 12:33 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
The lowe pro messenger will be too big, I have a bag that can do a body + 3 lenses. I came across another lowe pro though when I was looking for my next dose of LBA related madness, the toploader pro 75 can do a zoom and a couple of small primes so that might be the way to go.
08-21-2013, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by edgedemon Quote
The lowe pro messenger will be too big, I have a bag that can do a body + 3 lenses. I came across another lowe pro though when I was looking for my next dose of LBA related madness, the toploader pro 75 can do a zoom and a couple of small primes so that might be the way to go.
Are you sure you're looking at the right bags? The Toploader Pro 75 is larger than the Event Messenger 150:

Toploader Pro 75 Internal Dimensions: 17 x 17 x 29 cm (6.69 x 6.69 x 11.42 in) = 512 cu. in.
Event Messenger 150 Internal Dimensions: 29.5 x 10 x 21.8 cm (11.61 x 3.94 x 8.58 in) = 394 cu. in.

The cubic inch total of the toploader is overstated because of the tapered shape, but it is not a smaller bag. The thickness is what I would be most concerned with; 6.7" vs. 4" is a big difference when it's on your hip. That toploader is made for a full-frame body with grip. Definitely oversized for a Pentax.

Isn't there a store or two you can visit? I like to feel the bag on my shoulder, see how my stuff fits, how easy it is to get at the gear, see bags I may not have considered, check pricing. I recommended Think Tank Retrospective and LowePro Event Messenger to you. They are both messenger style shoulder bags, but quite different in some ways (material, shape, ancillary storage). The Retrospective bag in Pinestone is quite soft, which I love. The black Retrospective is not as limp, but softer than the Event Messenger, which is quite stiff. It's impossible to get a fix on how they will suit you by looking at a web page. Construction is something you need to feel to really evaluate. Think Tank bags exude quality, but at a price.

My day bag is the Event Messenger 150. I usually pack my K20D with 18-135mm and hood mounted. I will also carry two or three primes or a prime + 55-300mm, or prime + flash, along with ancillaries (cleaning cloths, memory, tools, batteries). This seems similar to what you want to pack. The bag is just deep enough to carry the DA 55-300 with hood, which is ideal for me. Cost was a factor, the LowePro is quite inexpensive.
08-21-2013, 06:05 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Are you sure you're looking at the right bags? The Toploader Pro 75 is larger than the Event Messenger 150:

Toploader Pro 75 Internal Dimensions: 17 x 17 x 29 cm (6.69 x 6.69 x 11.42 in) = 512 cu. in.
Event Messenger 150 Internal Dimensions: 29.5 x 10 x 21.8 cm (11.61 x 3.94 x 8.58 in) = 394 cu. in.

The cubic inch total of the toploader is overstated because of the tapered shape, but it is not a smaller bag. The thickness is what I would be most concerned with, 6.7" vs. 4" is a big difference when it's on your hip. That toploader is made for a full-frame body with grip. Definitely oversized for a Pentax.

Isn't there a store or two you can visit? I like to feel the bag on my shoulder, see how my stuff fits, how easy it is to get at the gear, see bags I may not have considered, check pricing. I recommended Think Tank Retrospective and LowePro Event Messenger to you. They are both messenger style shoulder bags, but quite different in some ways (material, shape, ancillary storage). The Retrospective bag in Pinestone is quite soft, which I love. The black Retrospective is not as limp, but softer than the Event Messenger, which is quite stiff. It's impossible to get a fix on how they will suit you by looking at a web page. Construction is something you need to feel to really evaluate. Think Tank bags exude quality, but at a price.

My day bag is the Event Messenger 150. I usually pack my K20D with 18-135mm and hood mounted. I will also carry two or three primes or a prime + 55-300mm, or prime + flash, along with ancillaries (cleaning cloths, memory, tools, batteries). This seems similar to what you want to pack. The bag is just deep enough to carry the DA 55-300 with hood, which is ideal for me. Cost was a factor, the LowePro is quite inexpensive.
There's also the Event Messenger 100, even smaller (but, doesn't take a tablet)...

Either way, I think that audiobomber is right that the toploader is bigger than the Event Messenger 150. The toploader is nice, though, but I let go of mine as it was a little less easy to organize and access gear in it (essentially, it became pile-up...).

08-21-2013, 06:19 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
audiobomber/tclausen - you are both right, I need to find a shop and have a look for myself
08-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #21

Photos: Gallery
Vanguard makes excellent bags. My Heralder feels bulletproof!