Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Camera Bags - decent manufacturers?

I already have a fair sized Crumpler bag that can hold a lot of kit, but Im looking for something that I can use for single days out that is a bit smaller
Im thinking a shoulder bag, that would hold my K30 and 2 lenses total, so a day kit for when Im out and about.
Size is key, as if it is too big, I wont carry it that much

What brands besides Crumpler and Lowe Pro are there that are considered good?

08-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Tamrac and LowePro are popular ones.

I have a medium and large Tamrac, a large Quantaray I don't use anymore (strap issue), and a smallish Quantaray that I can squeeze 4 Limiteds and a 10-17 on the K5, or various other 2-lens combos (or the 70-200 by itself), into. And another small one.

Although I bought the Tamracs on line, I suggest buying in person as you want to check out the zippers and pockets, etc.
08-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

LowePro Event Messenger
Think Tank Retrospective

Last edited by audiobomber; 08-16-2013 at 03:32 PM.
08-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For a kit that size, it's pretty hard to go wrong, actually. You could probably go for whatever from a major/decent brand that you like the style of.

(I might like a Domke, myself, or something that just looks like/doubles as a handbag. )

(Oh, and this thread'll end up moved to Camera and Field Accessories, I'm sure. I think there's probably lots of bag reviews there that might help. )

08-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've tried many brands. Unlike many (most?), Domke bags are simple, well-made and easy (and fast) to work from.
Have a look at their F-3, F-10 and F-5 series shoulder bags.

Chris
08-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote

(Oh, and this thread'll end up moved to Camera and Field Accessories, I'm sure. I think there's probably lots of bag reviews there that might help. )
Damn, missed that one - will have a read, but thanks for the suggestions, gives me some more to look into..
08-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Think Tank Retrospective

08-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I really like the Think Tank products.
08-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ACPRO650 Standard DSLR Holster - Ape Case - Camera Cases and Accessories

I use one of these particularly because it is small and will accommodate a K-5 with the OEM grip and a 200mm lens. I string a couple other lenses in neoprene pouches off the lugs if I want to take more lenses along.
08-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #10
JPT
Pentaxian

I can recommend the Artisan & Artist bags. They are without doubt expensive, but they are very well made, minimalist and the one I have is extremely flexible in its layout. Mine is brown and I was lucky enough to find it at a 30% discount.

Artisan&Artist* Bags
08-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have 3 Tamracs, of different sizes, backpack, big bag and small sling (camera/lens +1 extra thing). I rate them as well-built and engineered. I'm not carrying them every day, so I can't give you lots of durability feedback.
08-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I'm using Crumpler and Lowepro bags as well as Pelican cases on a daily basis, they all serve me well for different jobs.
08-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Choices?

Hello edgedemon,
There's lots of choices in that size, most of them have been mentioned already. I have several different sized bags, and my favorite 'small' bag (camera with lens, two more lenses, accessories) is the LowePro Adventura 170. This is a sturdy black, boxy or square design, very well-padded inside and a zipper pouch in the front for small accessories. It's also got small stretchy side pouches, but overall it's a minimalist design and size.
Right now, mine is loaded and ready to go; K10D with OEM grip + DA 16-45mm mounted in the center compartment (facing straight down, holster-style), smc A 135mm f/2.8 in one inside compartment, Miranda 24mm f/2.8 and all hoods in the other. Cable release, lens-cleaning stuff, a medium plastic bag and small notepad/pen in the zipper pouch, filter pouch (CPL's in 49mm, 52mm, 58mm and 62mm) in one side pouch. Last, my Pentax Optio I-10 in the other side pouch.
If I put the Optio in my pocket, I can carry a water bottle in the side pouch instead. Both hands free!
Just another idea for you!
Ron
08-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
LowePro Event Messenger
+1, this has quickly become my go-to small-kit bag: the 150 model holds a camera body, two large lenses (say, 200/2.8 and 50-135/2.8) off-camera and one large lens (say, 16-50/2.8) on-camera...and an iPad

I rarely schlep those lenses along, though, tend to stick a handful of limited lenses in there instead -- but still with the iPad
08-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I like the bags from Clik Elite. Well thought out bags, mainly bags for outdoor type of photographers, but they also have some nice shoulder bags.
I myself like the Clik Elite trekker, it is a waist pack and shoulder bag in one.