Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #196
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jb0501 Quote
Not all orders got cancelled. I ordered one (1) 50mm lens it did get cancelled. I just bought the K-30 a few weeks before to bad it wouldn't qualify as a bundle. I saw a listing for a sale at a fair price and placed an order. Pentax chose to step on me and cancel the order.

My problem with this is that I asked the manager Jason to get an owner to contact me. I am still waiting for that contact. Now that is not how to run a business.
The Pentax Webstore is a SureSOURCE store.

Look at the entire SureSOURCE website, including all the tabs on the left side of each page. I'm not entirely certain the PentaxWebstore isn't entirely independent of RIAC. I'm not entirely certain SureSOURCE isn't a Dealer themselves - they certainly claim to forecast and maintain their own inventory - I'm not certain SureSOURCE didn't make up (and bung up) the K5/Lens co-merchandising idea all by itself - they brag about their skill at that kind of thing. It was certainly their Customer Service Rep who gave you all such stellar responses and service.

So which "Owner" isn't returning your call - Pentax, or the Owners of SureSOURCE, a privately held company?

SURESOURCE LLC link:

Why SoureSource
"We create and manage the official online stores of recognized, global brands who choose to remain focused on their core competencies of product development, manufacturing, and distribution of product through retail channels. These partners appreciate that every consumer interaction impacts overall brand perception, and trust SureSource to provide their online shoppers with a premium customer experience.

Leveraging our significant investments in infrastructure, human capital and vendor relationships allows us to build and manage online stores more efficiently and provide a higher level of customer experience than any one company would be able to achieve on its own. And our unique business model negates the need for monthly or annual fees as we are compensated through the retail margin on the product we sell." So if there was a bait and switch, who did it?
What We Do:
"We operate independent online stores, each dedicated to selling a brand’s full product line directly to their consumers, complementing that brand’s current efforts of selling through traditional retail channels. We build and manage these stores on our industry-leading ecommerce platform; our development, design, and merchandising teams focus on reinforcing the partner’s brand across all touch points. Our inventory forecasting team ensures that we always maintain adequate stock in our climate-controlled distribution center. Our marketing group drives new customer acquisition by promoting our partners' products in new channels, and our knowledgeable customer care representatives field inquiries and place orders with professionalism and courtesy."
Go read the rest of the story.

09-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #197
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The Pentax Webstore is a SureSOURCE store.

Look at the entire SureSOURCE website, including all the tabs on the left side of each page. I'm not entirely certain the PentaxWebstore isn't entirely independent of RIAC. I'm not entirely certain SureSOURCE isn't a Dealer themselves - they certainly claim to forecast and maintain their own inventory - I'm not certain SureSOURCE didn't make up (and bung up) the K5/Lens co-merchandising idea all by itself - they brag about their skill at that kind of thing. It was certainly their Customer Service Rep who gave you all such stellar responses and service.

So which "Owner" isn't returning your call - Pentax, or the Owners of SureSOURCE, a privately held company?

SURESOURCE LLC link:

Why SoureSource
"We create and manage the official online stores of recognized, global brands who choose to remain focused on their core competencies of product development, manufacturing, and distribution of product through retail channels. These partners appreciate that every consumer interaction impacts overall brand perception, and trust SureSource to provide their online shoppers with a premium customer experience.

Leveraging our significant investments in infrastructure, human capital and vendor relationships allows us to build and manage online stores more efficiently and provide a higher level of customer experience than any one company would be able to achieve on its own. And our unique business model negates the need for monthly or annual fees as we are compensated through the retail margin on the product we sell." So if there was a bait and switch, who did it?
What We Do:
"We operate independent online stores, each dedicated to selling a brand’s full product line directly to their consumers, complementing that brand’s current efforts of selling through traditional retail channels. We build and manage these stores on our industry-leading ecommerce platform; our development, design, and merchandising teams focus on reinforcing the partner’s brand across all touch points. Our inventory forecasting team ensures that we always maintain adequate stock in our climate-controlled distribution center. Our marketing group drives new customer acquisition by promoting our partners' products in new channels, and our knowledgeable customer care representatives field inquiries and place orders with professionalism and courtesy."
Go read the rest of the story.
Monochrome, I understand where you're going with this but by all indications SureSource are a contractor for Ricoh, not an independent distributor. If they were an independent distributor, they are falsely portraying themselves as part of Ricoh which clearly Ricoh wouldn't allow. I see no reason to think the prices being offered are anything but what Ricoh directed -- even if they are a clear mistake. Just my two cents.
09-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #198

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
even if they are a clear mistake
Which they clearly were, if you'd agree that it's clearly a mistake for a Pentax lens to cost about the same as one of other clearly inferior brands.
09-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #199
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
If they were an independent distributor, they are falsely portraying themselves as part of Ricoh which clearly Ricoh wouldn't allow
Do you mean the store is designed to look like it is Ricoh's Pentax Store? Yeah, maybe. Pentax probably signed some sort of special Dealer Agreement with them, so we're both partly correct. Believe me, I know Pentax has plenty of skin in this mess but we should all understand (as well as we can) where the fault lies before we start casting aspersions. Since long before you were a member I have been critical of the way Hoya outsourced virtually all of the traditional corporate functions to contractors.

By all indications they are an independent distributor - a totally separate, private company. Their entire business model is to provide a turnkey webstore that looks like it is a corporate store. They design the webpages, the artwork and the product shoots, handle the marketing and the deals, etc. They even keep the inventory and make their profit by selling at a markup. They say such right on their corporate webpage. Can't be any more clear than that. That's what they sell your company and what you contract to let them be - a Dealer. Their marketing hook is to let you go about the business of distributing your product through your regular business channels.

Pentax is featured on their front page right next to Budweiser as one of their premier clients.

Some on this thread have said they have no problem outsourcing this function is SS can do a better job for less money - and OK, I'll buy that. Of course, when they bung it up the brand owner takes the heat, not SureSOURCE.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-16-2013 at 05:05 PM.
09-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #200
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Do you mean the store is designed to look like it is Ricoh's Pentax Store? Yeah, maybe. Pentax probably signed some sort of special Dealer Agreement with them, so we're both partly correct. Believe me, I know Pentax has plenty of skin in this mess but we should all understand (as well as we can) where the fault lies before we start casting aspersions. Since long before you were a member I have been critical of the way Hoya outsourced virtually all of the traditional corporate functions to contractors.

By all indications they are an independent distributor - a totally separate, private company. Their entire business model is to provide a turnkey webstore that looks like it is a corporate store. They design the webpages, the artwork and the product shoots, handle the marketing and the deals, etc. They even keep the inventory and make their profit by selling at a markup. They say such right on their corporate webpage. Can't be any more clear than that. That's what they sell your company and what you contract to let them be - a Dealer. Their marketing hook is to let you go about the business of distributing your product through your regular business channels.

Pentax is featured on their front page right next to Budweiser as one of their premier clients.

Some on this thread have said they have no problem outsourcing this function is SS can do a better job for less money - and OK, I'll buy that. Of course, when they bung it up the brand owner takes the heat, not SureSOURCE.
Fair enough. However, only those privy to the dirty details know who messed up the pricing.
10-01-2013, 05:48 AM   #201

Sorry to rez this thread, but look at how another company handles errors like this:

Verizon brought back unlimited data plans?but it was an accident | Ars Technica

Verizon Wireless customers who are 'grandfathered' in unlimited plans are not supposed to be able to upgrade their phone (with subsidy) and keep the unlimited plan. But, this weekend, there was a computer glitch, and people where able to do just that.

Verizon fixed the bug quickly, and honored the orders that got through.

Compare with Ricoh (through SureSource), who took several days to fix a "pricing error", and refused to honor the sales that were made during that time. They also falsely charged some customers, and did nothing to accelerate the release of the hold placed on those orders.
12-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #202
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another company honors its pricing mistake, unlike Ricoh/Pentax:

Delta to honor extremely cheap fares glitch.

12-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #203
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
Another company honors its pricing mistake, unlike Ricoh/Pentax:

Delta to honor extremely cheap fares glitch.
At 6:30 this morning as I watched the news I wondered how long it would take for this thread to come back to life.

Single Ticket per passenger, incremental revenue to Delta, plane flies anyway.

Not buying 50 lenses at a clearly mistaken price for resale on eBay.

These errors are never good for a company. Their choices are limited to all or nothing - they cannot pick winners.

We've been over this ground. The horse is dead. Beating it again won't change anything.
12-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #204
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
12-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #205
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why are they wearing ties? Were they going to lynch the poor horse as well?