Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #121

I never received one word from the Pentax web store about my order or it's cancellation, even though I sent them a nice email inquiry as soon as I found out about my PayPal cancellation....that's a pretty bad way to run a business...well, it's a pretty good way to run a business, into the ground, that is!

I work part time for an internet/mail order high end audio dealer and we certainly would not be in a good position with our customers if we pulled a stunt like this....reputation is everything....

08-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
...or a ceiling fan.
It was really a DA 35 and not a ceiling fan in the box that arrived. A small handful of shots confirm it's a sharp lens.
08-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #123
Forum Member

I am happy for you.

Now how can we use your good fortune to say to Ricoh what about us?
08-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #124

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
It was really a DA 35 and not a ceiling fan in the box that arrived. A small handful of shots confirm it's a sharp lens.
Good for you!! Mine should be here Tuesday from B&H. My lens hood is due here tomorrow

08-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #125

I'm glad that PentaxStore honored at least one of their contracts! Hope you enjoy the new lens.

Even though the corporate response left a sour taste in my mouth, I can't get angry at my new k30. I love it! Maybe they can get some of their engineers to moonlight in customer service.
08-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #126
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow, I remember seeing the deal (but ultimately passed, since I have lovely M-series versions of these lenses). While I agree the communication (as usual) has been bad, and I think it a bad move for customer confidence in the brand to cancel the orders (especially when they would still be making money on them), I did want to add what I think might be the reason they did so. That is MAP. Perhaps they were concerned that if they violated their own MAP (even for a short time and in a claimed accident), they would anger the other retailers, whom they have saddled with MAP. Hence in choosing between angering a some customers and angering their retailers, they chose the former. The reason for taking a few days to cancel the orders (i.e., debate honouring the price) would make more sense this way than if it was a simple bean-counting exercise. I cannot help but wonder if, were there no MAP, they would have been much more prone to honouring the orders.
08-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #127
mee
Veteran Member

After all the upsettedness and general anger... the pitchforks and torches have dispersed and all is calm in Pentax land again..

08-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #128

Oh no sir, I'm still very upset In fact, from now on if I buy Pentax lenses I'll only buy used.
08-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #129
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
After all the upsettedness and general anger... the pitchforks and torches have dispersed and all is calm in Pentax land again..
All is calm...and Pentax has diminished the loyalty of its users. I don't how many of us there were, but I'm pretty sure some of us will spending money elsewhere in the future. I'll be using a borrowed Canon 50mm on my 60D rather than a new DA50 on my K20D & K-x.
08-27-2013, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #130
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Didn't buy from that site before, so they are not losing my business. Probably would not have lost my business over this if I was a customer, though. Mix-ups happen; I seriously doubt there was any malice. The people I felt bad for were the ones who had money unfairly tied up. This thread screams 'entitlement' more than anything to me, although I am not a long-time member of the community and do not know many of the personalities. It's always cool to stumble across a super nice deal, but from what I've seen more often than not something goes wrong with those great deals.

Hopefully the news of the new lenses and flashes is at least showing Pentax is alive and still kicking somewhat.

I'm looking forward to shooting a lot more pics with my Pentax gear.
08-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #131

QuoteOriginally posted by BlackTalon Quote
This thread screams 'entitlement' more than anything to me
Maybe you're right. I keep thinking I'm entitled to some respect when I spend my money on a business, and the way they handled the mistake, IMO, showed none. Not a huge deal, but I'll just spend elsewhere.
08-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #132
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Contrary to what most people believe, hate is not the opposite of love. Indifference is the true opposite of love and that is what I feel for the web store at the current moment. Their not getting my money was there loss.
08-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #133

False.

I haven't forgotten the ridiculous behavior, and am still hoping that Ricoh will come through with an offer to make this right, or an announcement that they're ditching SureSource.

I'm still thinking about driving to Ricoh USA corporate HQ and seeing who the highest level person I can talk to is.

Also, I was planning on buying a new camera soon, and had been planning to get a K-30 if they're still available when I'm ready. Now I'm really reconsidering. There might be another Sony in my future instead.

This isn't just about SureSource's mistake. It isn't just about Ricoh not doing anything to make it right.

It's about Ricoh's cavalier attitude toward their customers, and their belief that they can freely charge twice as much as Canon or Nikon and bleed their loyal customers dry.
08-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #134

QuoteOriginally posted by thornburg Quote
There might be another Sony in my future instead.
The truth is, without that incident I wouldn't have done more research on other brands and stumbled upon the Metabones SpeedBooster for NEX. Now I have to resist the thought of going that route just so I can enjoy my K-01 a bit longer
08-28-2013, 06:30 AM   #135

QuoteOriginally posted by prime.partisan Quote
The truth is, without that incident I wouldn't have done more research on other brands and stumbled upon the Metabones SpeedBooster for NEX. Now I have to resist the thought of going that route just so I can enjoy my K-01 a bit longer
Did you know Sony just announced a new NEX, and the new "a3000" which is sort of a DSLR shaped NEX? Or maybe you'd call it an E-mount SLT? 20MP for $400 with kit lens.