Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2013, 03:31 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax 35mm/50mm pricing mixup discussion

Please use this thread to discuss the 35mm and 50mm pricing mixup originally brought up in this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/234196-pentax-35mm-150...ml#post2484860

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow. Tough spot for a new marketing guy. But if he thinks this is going to resolve the issues...
08-20-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For Australians, the 35mm is A$194 (US$175) from Pentax Australia, so, in comparison, we are doing alright.

The 50mm isn't listed.
08-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for forwarding the info, Adam.

I have not received a cancellation e-mail. Its there anyone else who has not?

A far as the response is concerned....they are obviously not trying very hard to provide the best consumer experience, or to earn our trust. There was no need for him to bother saying those things.

08-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, they don't "have" to do anything. Could have been, "Sorry Dudes and Dudettes - Listing Errors happen all the time."

Looks to me like thay've found a middle ground that offers buyers something, keeps their leading dealers happy, admits they erred, promises to do better (they were going to do that anyway) and extends their mea culpa to more lenses.

I personally think this is very fair.
08-20-2013, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

This off topic, but why did we need a separate thread for this?
08-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Actually, why bother pulling punches? I'd have to give Brian a grade of "D" or "F" for this communication. He did not apologize, accept responsibility, or list the steps they would be taking in order to rectify the situation for those of us who made purchases. He mostly just told us how we could give them more money for the same products.

I did appreciate that he addressed us directly, and claimed he appreciates or loyalty. His actions seem to indicate that those were just words, though.
08-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonakG Quote
This off topic, but why did we need a separate thread for this?
I think Adam just didn't want the response from Pentax buried after several more posts get made there and the page numbers increase. Now you can easily find the letter from Pentax.

08-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
Actually, why bother pulling punches? I'd have to give Brian a grade of "D" or "F" for this communication. He did not apologize, accept responsibility, or list the steps they would be taking in order to rectify the situation for those of us who made purchases. He mostly just told us how we could give them more money for the same products.

I did appreciate that he addressed us directly, and claimed he appreciates or loyalty. His actions seem to indicate that those were just words, though.
While agreeing with your sentiment, it's possible that this is all he was ABLE to do. We don't know what went on internally. And even if there ultimately were plans to move to a different vendor, they couldn't do that overnight, given contractual and operational issues.

I'm also underwhelmed by the offer. We may just have to wait to see if/what any changes are made for the longer term.
08-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I didn't necessarily mean a new offer...I mean he literally did not say anything like "all orders have been canceled and all money will be refunded."
08-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #11

I received an email today after emailing them back on why the charge is still pending and when will the items ship. This was the response:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your recent email. We do not physically charge the card until the product ships. The lens are on a pre-order back order for 2-3 weeks.

Thank You
Jennifer
Pentax Webstore

On the web store page it says oder in process for my transaction.
08-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I didn't necessarily mean a new offer...I mean he literally did not say anything like "all orders have been canceled and all money will be refunded."
Good point. So everyone who had been getting conflicting information is left in limbo...
08-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #13
Banned

Fair response.
It would be good if forum members extend a thank you letter and reassure Mr McIntosh and RI USA we are all on the same boat, we are all hit by the same waves.
08-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Takumar55 Quote
While agreeing with your sentiment, it's possible that this is all he was ABLE to do. We don't know what went on internally. And even if there ultimately were plans to move to a different vendor, they couldn't do that overnight, given contractual and operational issues.

I'm also underwhelmed by the offer. We may just have to wait to see if/what any changes are made for the longer term.
This is pure speculation - I know nothing and don't claim to, but I tihnk we should view Brian's letter to PENTAXForums members - note that this specifically singles us out as distinct from just regiular webstore customers - as a step in a corrective process. There are many, many stakeholders in this decision beyond just us, many of whom we cannot and will not ever know of. A stakeholder is someone who is affected by a decision but has no vote in the decision.

Here's my last post on the other thread
, which explains what I mean. The letter to us explains Step 2. Step 3 is much harder because each order is unique. I don't think RicohIAC can just write unilaterally, "Here's what we're going to do."
08-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #15
Forum Member

Anybody remember the Firestone (American) tire problem on the Ford Explorers of the mid 1990's? Well Bridgestone Tire (Japanese) had just purchased Firestone a few months earlier. Long story short Bridgestone did not complain or fight the multi millions of dollars paid out in claims. They fixed Firestones way of storing their materials and moved on. I was running three tire stores at the time and Bridgestone paid all of my adjustments and replacements in a timely manner with no questions asked. Myself I blame Ford for the tire problem in most cases.

Personally I feel Ricoh should honor the Webstore sale and move on. If not who knows how many will jump ship by not supporting us.