Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2014, 06:54 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this a scandal? Does anyone really care?

01-12-2014, 09:02 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's kinda like your family history being altered by someone your sister married.. but hey if you don't care why bother posting at all?

PS: I'm not making a big deal out of this, only having a chat about it, so maybe you should chill a bit.
01-12-2014, 11:36 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
It's kinda like your family history being altered by someone your sister married.. but hey if you don't care why bother posting at all?

PS: I'm not making a big deal out of this, only having a chat about it, so maybe you should chill a bit.
Certainly doesn't look like you were/are chating.
01-13-2014, 05:09 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Certainly doesn't look like you were/are chating.
You can't be serious, surely? I just checked my initial statement (where I simply made a report that included my opinion) and my subsequent posts (one being a statement about Batman movies and the other a quote from Wiki stating the actual date of Ricoh's creation) and I find no over-the-top or unfriendly comments at all.

I think your reaction to anything I posted has nothing to do with me at all, but is more a reflection of your own perceptions and the way text over the internet works

01-13-2014, 05:35 PM   #50
Pentaxian

I agree with you. I've never quite seen an organization 'blend' and revise their company history...in this way.
01-14-2014, 08:12 AM   #51
Pentaxian

You can't be serious, surely? I just checked my initial statement (where I simply made a report that included my opinion) and my subsequent posts (one being a statement about Batman movies and the other a quote from Wiki stating the actual date of Ricoh's creation) and I find no over-the-top or unfriendly comments at all.

I think your reaction to anything I posted has nothing to do with me at all, but is more a reflection of your own perceptions and the way text over the internet works
Mmm I may not have been clear. If so, I'm sorry about that.
I didn't mean you were aggressive or unfriendly to anyone here. You were not and are not AFAICT.
You're reaction though, I mean in the first post, is aggressive (towards Ricoh).
It's not a question of form I was refering to but of content which is, IMHO, frankly over the top though I admit lesmore49 (I quote) 'revision of history' is pushing it even further.
That's not serious, is it?

We like it or we don't but the company (as far as camera and lenses are concerned) previously named 'Pentax' is indeed Ricoh Imaging. They may have been more verbose (aquisition blabla) but would anyone mention on the professional card their company has just been aquired and reorganized?
Who would do that? That'd be shooting it its foot.

Well, anyway that's my take on all this (IMHO of course)
01-14-2014, 08:19 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I agree with you. I've never quite seen an organization 'blend' and revise their company history...in this way.
Indeed, they would usually try and destroy all the traces of the acquired company.
Somehow, that appears to be preferable to Ricoh Imaging admitting they're mostly Pentax with new ownership...

01-14-2014, 08:25 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Bring out your torches and pitchforks, is time to set Ricoh on fire...
Anyway, relax... is just text...
01-14-2014, 02:38 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
for some reason this thread won't let me read beyond page 2.

Ominous.
That is because it is of two minds.

When the true history of Ricoh Imaging is told, we will discover the company has always had a dual personality disorder. One part of it thought of itself as Asahi Pentax, the innovator and IT camera of the Mod era, purveyors to the Beatles, masters of the screw mount, constructor of the K mount. At other times, the company thought it was Ricoh, that low cost quality rip off business with the good lenses and excellent cameras. The two personalities knew of each other, but as completely separate beings, and often engaged in mortal combat in the marketplace.

That the two were slowly becoming reconciled is shown by the following gradual rappoachments: The first K mount Ricoh was made by Asahi Pentax under agreement with Ricoh (i.e. the two did not recognize themselves as being the same entity, but at least worked together)... Ricoh took on more of the old Pentax innovation (solar camera, autofocus p&s) as time went on, and it seemed Pentax was also taking on characteristics of the old Ricoh.

Eventually, the two, in order to maintain the illusion of separation, minimized their competition by focusing on somewhat different market niches. Through the corporate therapy provided by several investment banks, the corporation has finally reconciled and merged its two personalities. However, what's missing now is the acknowledgement of the true history of this personage, i.e. the newly integrated personality believes itself to be heir to the original Asahi Pentax, and has almost completely suppressed the great 35 year struggle for dominance between 'Pentax' and 'Ricoh' that started in the late 60s.
01-14-2014, 03:34 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well said Nesster.
01-15-2014, 12:58 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Well said Nesster.
This is completely ridiculous but well... I think you all got my point and I got yours so there's no need to go on like this.
Have a happy day
01-15-2014, 03:58 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, same to you mate