Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
09-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Ricoh is appropriating Pentax History now.

It appears that Ricoh is trying to usurp Pentax' history. Take a look at this quote from their own website in the USA.

"The company now known as Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation, was originally founded in 1919, under the name Asahi Optical Joint Stock Co. and launched its first SLR camera in the 1950s under the PENTAX name. Today, Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation continues to produce the heritage-rich, award-winning line of PENTAX DSLR cameras, lenses and sport optics equipment as well as Ricoh’s offering of stylish and compact digital cameras, known for their wide-ranging, rich set of features."

PENTAX - Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation Expands Team with Appointment of Brian McIntosh as Director of Marketing

09-03-2013, 05:14 PM - 4 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

And? This is nitpicking fluff text.
09-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Saw this on Ricehigh first. I laughed then got on with my day. There are more things to talk about... like whats going to be announced in 2 days?!
09-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Saw this on Ricehigh first. I laughed then got on with my day. There are more things to talk about... like whats going to be announced in 2 days?!
Seems rather factual (though the mention of ricoh imaging americas corporation sounds a bit strange in this context). No need to read something that isn't there: Pentax as a company no longer exists, but it's legacy, a product line of cameras branded Pentax, survives as part of Ricoh Imaging. I don't see how this is «appropration» of anything.

09-03-2013, 05:31 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
"The company now known as Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation, was originally founded in 1919, under the name Asahi Optical Joint Stock Co
I read that the other day and I guess my interpretation was the opposite. At least they took the time to KEEP the history they could have dropped all mention of Asahi. I thought it was a logical progression as the company is now called Ricoh Imaging Americas with a clear connection to its past. They are saying this is the same company, just a new name.

They could have simply removed all evidence of Pentax and Asahi from before they bought the company. Personally I think this is a good thing, a connection to the Pentax history and values is more important than any particular product.
09-03-2013, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

The company has been Asahi, Honeywell, Pentax, Hoya and now Ricoh, whats the difference?

One look at the timeline should make it clear the Pentax brand name isnt going anywhere.

Ricoh owns the history now. It is a large chunk of what they purchased and it is very valuable.

RICOH Imaging Timeline
09-03-2013, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #7
bxf
Veteran Member

This may be twisting and stretching things a bit, but at the same time, I take it as an indication that Ricoh is trying to build on Pentax's historic strengths, which is exactly what I think they should do.

09-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
This may be twisting and stretching things a bit, but at the same time, I take it as an indication that Ricoh is trying to build on Pentax's historic strengths, which is exactly what I think they should do.
Agree 100%
09-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I take it as an indication that Ricoh is trying to build on Pentax's historic strengths, which is exactly what I think they should do.
Agreed.
09-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My company was quite literally formed by our much smaller acquirer in 2009 with the specific purpose to acquire and merge us. They've completely replaced our name, systems and management, yet EVEN SO they claim our heritage, which extends to 1820. They were formed in 1934 and were always third-rate, growing by acquisition and leverage.

Ricoh hasn't done that.
09-03-2013, 06:16 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We really have moved up to a whole new level of waiting for news haven't we...
09-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
We really have moved up to a whole new level of waiting for news haven't we...
I am off to Yellowstone tomorrow. No internet for 10 days so you guys are on your own, lol. Going to miss the big news on the 5th, I guess I will be surprised when I get back.
09-03-2013, 07:10 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

People are going to be popping blood vessels when Adam renames this place RicohForums.com!
09-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I am off to Yellowstone tomorrow. No internet for 10 days so you guys are on your own, lol. Going to miss the big news on the 5th, I guess I will be surprised when I get back.
Have an awesome trip, take as many lenses as you can.
09-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I think the claim may be technically correct, since the text refers specifically to the American company (or subsidiary), formerly known as Pentax Imaging. That always was Pentax.

I could be completely wrong about this, but I don't think Ricoh even had its own US-based camera subsidiary. So for Pentax Imaging, it's just a name change, not even really a merger.