Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
My recent visit to central Australia - there was a pentax X5 on sale at the news agent at Uluru (Ayres Rock) and quite a bit of pentax camera gear on sale in Alice Springs at the camera shop. I wasn't alone after all.
Yes indeed, in Alice springs there are actually a surprising amount of Pentax shooters, and both of the camera shops in Alice supply a rather generous amount of Pentax gear!

09-04-2013, 01:23 AM   #17
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd like to add my surprise after a recent visit to the Post Office in the Mt Ommaney Shopping Mall, which inevitably involved standing in a queue for quite some time.

As I got towards the front of the queue I locked eyes on an X5 in a display case directly ahead of the queue and underneath where customers stand to do their business. The place I was served at was further along the counter and out of view of people in the queue. That display case had Fuji and Canon P&S cameras. It's good to see Pentax not only on display in the Post Office, but having a prominent position compared to other cameras being sold there.
09-04-2013, 03:36 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
good things are coming
This phrase must be straight from their play book - I've heard it at least 10 times from various sources.
09-04-2013, 04:21 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
This phrase must be straight from their play book - I've heard it at least 10 times from various sources.
Well, yes it is. So are the things.

09-04-2013, 05:09 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was in a store in the Minneapolis area (National) about a year ago. At the time, they didn't have much on display, but the staff seemed very Pentax-friendly (everyone knew what a 40 Limited was), and expressed frustration at not being able to get products to sell.
09-04-2013, 06:24 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In St. Louis Pentax has at least been on display throughout all the changes, though ownership of our flagship chain changed and Pentax display diminished. Pentax remains on their website. I'll have to stop in a few stores to see if anything has changed back recently.
09-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #22

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I was in a store in the Minneapolis area (National) about a year ago. At the time, they didn't have much on display, but the staff seemed very Pentax-friendly (everyone knew what a 40 Limited was), and expressed frustration at not being able to get products to sell.
That’s where I was too, they of course had some old Pentax SLR’s but just the K-50 for display – they weren’t planning on getting any K-500’s (I asked).

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Just to clarify, the new DA L version of the 18-55 is WR - it was announced with the K-50. So if he is referring to the DA L WR version of the lens (if you can, go back and look closely), then he is in fact correct. It is the same lens as the DA L (no quickshift, no lens hood, plastic mount (?)), but it is WR. A great move in my opinion since those buying this camera for the 18-55 kit (for the most part) aren't enthusiasts and never use hoods or quick shift.

That aside, what I find most surprising is the clerk's enthusiasm about showing off the "New Pentax's" - that is something you don't hear about too often. Don't underestimate the spirit of something, and I concur that this bodes very well for the future

-Heie
That’s what I meant, the clerk knew the DAL’s were WR, but assumed the AL II (see link) on the demo was too (I just let him finish his pitch). At any rate, great to see them nudging people to the Pentax display, I think they'll attract some people, especially in MN w/ the condensation in going from in/outdoors during MN winters. My guess is someone like a Target would get the K-500?

09-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In St. Louis Pentax has at least been on display throughout all the changes, though ownership of our flagship chain changed and Pentax display diminished. Pentax remains on their website. I'll have to stop in a few stores to see if anything has changed back recently.
I can't remember the last time I was in Creve Coeur Camera, the one on Olive, or any other camera store.
It used to be my second home.
Bought my Super Program there, as a step up from a K1000, and later my SF1.
Loved the used gadget area.
09-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I can't remember the last time I was in Creve Coeur Camera, the one on Olive, or any other camera store.
It used to be my second home.
Bought my Super Program there, as a step up from a K1000, and later my SF1.
Loved the used gadget area.
I go to South County and Crestwood - better Used Case and friendlier (within cnotext of a camera store). Ladue and Creve Couer are soccer mom heaven now and unpleasant. Schiller's is pro/wedding and big dollar Canon. All about fast talk and hosting KEH buy days.

I must say the reason I buy from B&H is to avoid the BS at the sales counter but I don't showroom them either. Same reason I price cars online before I visit the dealer. I always feel like I need a shower after I leave a camera store and a car dealer.
09-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Here's the Pentax display at my local camera store. Unfortunately their stock is rather out dated.

Nice used selection. I see a boxed Autorobo flash on the left, those are on the rare side.

Phil.
09-07-2013, 11:58 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Beijing Pentax at WuKeSong

Hi.

Here in Beijing "my" Pentax dealer always has a lot on display, everything from the 645D system (drools...), to the Q's, and the P&S. They also show the whole Ricoh setup, incl. the GR.
Today my friends bought 1 MX-1 (black), and 1 WG-10. Totally I have "helped" the store to sell: 6 K-30 kits, 3 MX-1, and 1 WG-10. I myself bought 1 K-5, and a lot of lenses from them. Now I always get a very big discount for me and my friends.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Eye-witness report of Pentax back in a local B&M photo shop in Northern Nevada, USA after a long absence:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-industry/236504-i-saw...t-display.html

I thought it impossible that Pentax would ever come back to my local photo store. Good things are happening behind the scenes.
09-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
the camera museum at michaels is not exactly the pentax display..
Busted!

But seriously, it's great to hear that Pentax may be coming back to retail! When the only remaining photo shop here in town puts some Pentax gear in its display cases (or even in the back room) it will be an occasion for great rejoicing.