Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #1

Gray Market, does it matter??

LT Pentax user Spotmatic, ME, LX), first post here. I just received a new K 5II from Emmy, sent by Amazon. I was concerned about it being gray market and called Pentax, was told that as long as I had a receipt it was warrantied. I wanted something in writing so went to live chat and had this conversation:

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
All agents are currently busy. Please stand by.
An agent will be with you in a moment. Thank you for your patience.
You have been connected to Randall S.
Randall S: Thank you for contacting RICOH IMAGING chat support Stuart, how may I help you?
Stuart: Just received new K 5 II, no warranty card in box and I am concerned that I have a gray market item not covered by warranty here in the US, serial # 4721628
Randall S: Any new K-5ll bought from a dealer is going to be covered under warranty in the US. Our cameras don't come with warranty cards.
Randall S: just make sure you keep your sales receipt showing the date of purchase.
Stuart: So there are no so-called gray market or parallel import models that are NOT covered?
Randall S: technically gray market cameras are no covered under warranty but since the K-5 series cameras were released the same world-wide they are covered in the US as long as appropriate documentation from dealer is provided.... meaning a dated sales receipt or order confirmation.
Stuart: Thank you
Randall S: Thank you for contacting RICOH IMAGING chat support Stuart, have a great day!

So it looks like as long as it was new and I have the recipt, I am covered. This was not the very cheapest, but sent my Amazon very quickly and everything looks fine.

Stuartf

09-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

To summarize, it sounds like grey market does matter in general, but by design, there isn't a grey market for the K-5 series.
09-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #3

I don't know about the US, but I was able to register my K5 online. I'll check later if mine had a warranty card.
09-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I bought my K-30 from Electronics Boutique through Amazon and I think that makes my camera a grey market unit. There were no problems registering the camera online. I also bought an additional 1 year warranty.

Personally, I don't think Pentax is too picky. They're probably just happy to have another K-mount user out there!

09-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #5

Just checked an mine does have a warranty card.
09-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I've never seen a Pentax warranty card despite a plague of Pentax purchases. I have seen, in the US, a card including some warranty instructions and the serial number of the camera or lens. The card is not proof of purchase or a warranty requirement; it's simply a reference document for the user to file in the event that the serial number is needed later. The warranty foundation, as noted above, is a receipt or similar document that shows what was purchased and the appropriate date.

The above applies only to my experience with Pentax USA and US-based retailers.
09-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Pentax is great on warranties

Any dslr bought in the usa is covered. I've questioned them (respectfully of course) in as many different ways as I could to make sure there were no run-arounds by the sellers. Even when you don't have the actual receipt, your print out from Amazon or wherever will work too, I even used the email receipt and that worked very well... Pentax has been very flexible.

I'm very satisfied with Pentax in this regards.

09-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
mee
Veteran Member

As an aside.. has anyone contacted Pentax support and got someone BESIDES Randall?