Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2013, 04:53 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Funny how the comments are on the marketing effort, not on the information presented.... which is in itself interesting... because it highlights Pentax's niche. Those who don't appreciate Pentax's niche of course are critical, and those of us who do, think, "well isn't that interesting." You can almost tell if you should own Pentax equipment by how you respond to this ad.

QuoteQuote:
I don't know, but only a sucker would buy them! According to the website, those brands have nothing good to offer
Holy ka zolie... you want Pentax marketing to tell you what brand A and brand B have to offer? Really? Because brand A and brand B spend so much of thier marketing dollars telling everyone how great Pentax is, right? Is that what you're thinking? It's an advertisement. It's reason for being is to sell Pentax product. Brand A and Brand B do their own marketing.

Have another cup of coffee and maybe rethink that.

Last edited by normhead; 09-07-2013 at 05:02 AM.
09-07-2013, 04:55 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Here it comes.

On the good news side it appears they are developing a cohesive marketing strategy centered on the five key factors that distinguish Pentax from the others. The idea is to be an alternative to CaNikony, not another CaNikony. Pop Photography ad, some on-the-street surprises coming in the US this fall, some early attempts a Deal-bundling (aspirational bundles) - at least there is movement.

On the not-so-good side -- this is what they got? 1. WR 2. More APSc lenses 3. Pancakes (we now know why they repainted and raised the prices) 4. Colors???? 5. IBIS. They haven't addressed (yet - perhaps in a new body?) any of the big operational shortfalls we know hold them back competitively with the others - AF, Flash Sync, LCD, Mp, etc.

I am waiting with bated breath to see the "professional" camera recently hinted at because this marketing effort is aimed just a wee bit lower.

Are we seeing Ricoh's Plan?
I think their ad is great, having little interest in FF anyway. It seems often to be the kind of fixation where those afflicted are best attended to by large, gentle men in white coats with a nice comfortable ambulance waiting.

interesting that they don't mention ergonomics and that satisfying heft of well-made gear, often all-metal gear too. That is a highly attractive feature of Pentax to me. Instead they've gone for the many colours option. Fair enough, but it's a pretty downmarket selling point when looking at higher-end lenses costing hundred or thousands of bucks. So it's great to see but the message is a little conflicted, bearing in mind Ricoh's recent talk about Pentax and "professional": are you buying into a system you can grow with up to the higher end, perhaps starting on the lower rungs of it, or aren't you? The ad does not answer that question.

Last edited by mecrox; 09-07-2013 at 05:03 AM.
09-07-2013, 04:55 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

On the not-so-good side -- this is what they got? 1. WR 2. More APSc lenses 3. Pancakes (we now know why they repainted and raised the prices) 4. Colors???? 5. IBIS. They haven't addressed (yet - perhaps in a new body?) any of the big operational shortfalls we know hold them back competitively with the others - AF, Flash Sync, LCD, Mp, etc.
They're playing on their strengths, not on their weaknesses; I see no reason to complain. The alternative would be no marketing at all, until they would surpass the competition in every possible way...

Maybe with the next camera they would be able to do a Panasonic:
"The fastest AF ever!!!111oneoneone (with one specific lens, in our testing conditions)
09-07-2013, 05:01 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I find it interesting that the picture for number 1 is what appears to be a K-5(II) type body, but the name of the camera itself has been removed from the body for whatever reason...

09-07-2013, 05:03 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I think they really need to push reasons 1, 3 and 5.
The colours are hit and miss, but has proved popular more in the Asian market.
They should also promote the menu layout, which I reckon is the best out there.
And the green button and Tav on some cameras.
09-07-2013, 05:04 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
I find it interesting that the picture for number 1 is what appears to be a K-5(II) type body, but the name of the camera itself has been removed from the body for whatever reason...
They didn't want to link "tough construction" with a specific Pentax model?
09-07-2013, 05:05 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
I think their ad is great, having little interest in FF anyway. It seems often to be the kind of fixation best attended to by large, gentle men in white coats with a nice comfortable ambulance waiting.
I edited the post because I can see the tone is wrong. Ia gree the ad is good and Ricoh seems to be developing a consistent marketing theme. I've said right along they will rebuild the brand over a long period. They seem to have chosen the "talking points" they will build their campaign around, at least for the K-50 level camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
interesting that they don't mention ergonomics and that satisfying heft of well-made gear, often all-metal gear too. That is a highly attractive feature of Pentax to me. Instead they've gone for the many colours option. Fair enough, but it's a pretty downmarket selling point when looking at higher-end lenses costing hundred or thousands of bucks. So it's great to see but the message is a little conflicted, bearing in mind Ricoh's recent talk about Pentax and "professional": are you buying into a system you can grow with up to the higher end, perhaps starting on the lower rungs of it, or aren't you? The ad does not answer that question.
Many members here seem to want professional features - at least an aspirational attempt to justify Pentax. Maybe there is another marketing layer coming, since K-50 is a mid-range camera, when the K-5II/s replacement is revealed..

Last edited by monochrome; 09-07-2013 at 05:20 AM.
09-07-2013, 05:12 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
They're playing on their strengths, not on their weaknesses; I see no reason to complain. The alternative would be no marketing at all, until they would surpass the competition in every possible way...

Maybe with the next camera they would be able to do a Panasonic:
"The fastest AF ever!!!111oneoneone (with one specific lens, in our testing conditions)
Indeed - they have to market their strengths. These are not the strong points enthusiast members and pros here want. Perhaps the entire plan isn't rolled out yet - there remains the hinted professional camera (or the reveal that 645 is the professional line) and we'll need to see what they've been doing with AF, Flash Sync and the like.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-07-2013 at 05:21 AM.
09-07-2013, 05:16 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
Reason no. 6 for me would be compatibility with the millions of Pentax M42 and K-mount lenses made since the 1950s.
Yeah, I would have to say I consider that a much more compelling reason than being able to buy a rainbow or vomit-hued DSLR.
09-07-2013, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #25
Banned

Everything a company does is marketing, starting from how a receptionist answers the phone, how the product box looks like, how the strap feels and smells, where buttons are positioned on a camera, what representatives talk and promise, etc.
This feature on the web page is the Pentax advantage, or Pentax strengths, perhaps started its life as an internal material first, as a part of the SWOT matrix for current situation analysis and future strategy. This may be even evolved picture of the S field (Strengths), which some 3 years ago didn't have a section about colour thoroughly developed, and which was positioned in the O field (Opportunities).
Undoubtedly, it would be interesting to see the complete list for their W (Weaknesses) and T (Threats) fields, and how fast they move towards the S, or morph into O.

The good news is that marketing takes an hour to learn.The bad news is that it takes a lifetime to master.
– Philip Kotler

Last edited by Uluru; 09-07-2013 at 05:42 AM.
09-07-2013, 05:30 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Yeah, I would have to say I consider that a much more compelling reason than being able to buy a rainbow or vomit-hued DSLR.
Lol
Those colors are purely intended to attract newcomers and expand the userbase for more revenue. Fine by me, as long as the high-end APS-c comes in a standard black or black/silver version I couldn`t care less.
09-07-2013, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

I'm just glad to see Pentax actually making an effort to market something. Apparently the summer interns were busy in the marketing dept.

One advantage that Pentax has now that the retro look is coming back strong. Pentax never modernized it lenses to start with, so they have been going retro for the past 20 years. The FA Limited lenses would look great on a new retro FF body.

Last edited by Winder; 09-07-2013 at 05:37 AM.
09-07-2013, 05:32 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Indeed - they have to market their strengths. These are not the strong points enthusiast members and pros here want. The entire plan isn't rolled out yet - there remains the hinted professional camera (or the reveal that 645 is the professional line) and we'll need to see what they've been doing with AF, Flash Sync and the like.
They should update the marketing message as necessary, with each major milestone. But AF and Flash Sync are way too specific to be included in the reasons list.
Anyway, we have this this, we have the advertising in Popular Photography - things are looking better

QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Lol
Those colors are purely intended to attract newcomers and expand the userbase for more revenue. Fine by me, as long as the high-end APS-c comes in a standard black or black/silver version I couldn`t care less.
Yep, I see no issue with the way they're doing it. Although I could live with some elegant off-black parts on my cameras, e.g. a dark brown grip rubber.
09-07-2013, 05:42 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just think it's positive for Ricoh to be marketing the brand with whatever talking points they choose. Think about how little marketing occurred in years past. Now to see the marketing hit the stores, magazines, web ads/banners....

It would have been nice to list the backwards compatability and the sturdy build more, but they had stated the aps-c optimized, lightweight lenses as a strength. It would be a bit confusing for the intended market (intro DSLR buyers) to then read about the sturdy (read heavy) build quality and old, non-optimized lenses that aren't weather sealed. Not to mention, they want to sell more new lenses, not have intro buyers going to that auction site or elsewhere.

I'm with monochrome...there will most likely be a different layer of marketing that brings out these types of points for the enthusiast/pro buyer.
09-07-2013, 05:49 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Rules APS-C!

P.S., Colors, Schmolors! # 4 should be Ergonomics.