Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
09-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
Pentaxian

More PENTAX Advertising -- "It's an addiction, really."

Here's more excellent advertising for PENTAX.

This time by PentaxianThai Neave, a Pentax employee.

Excellent work!

09-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
wow, no kidding. thanks for the link!
09-07-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
This time by PentaxianThai Neave, a Pentax employee.

Excellent work!
Nice, thanks for sharing - some good thoughts there....I especially liked the one about never being lost
09-08-2013, 12:23 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It really IS nice, although I wish there were some branding on there.

09-08-2013, 12:29 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I'm sorry, but I failed to see this as advertising.

First, it's a great video - beautifully done and very artistic. He should absolutely be proud because it really is a superlative creation. I am not a videomaker, but this style is 100% what I would aim for personally.

But, no Pentax banner, intro, watermark, closing, video title ("PENTAX: It's an addiction, really." or "It's an addiction, really." - PENTAX), can't read the camera logo, barely read the strap, and he never once mentioned Pentax.

So, is "Pentax" the addiction, or getting lost? Show this to 100 non Pentax people and I would bet a few DA*'s that 100 of them will say this is an advertisement for travel or Havana itself. Regardless, the point being, they won't cue in to Pentax. But because it's on the Pentax Youtube channel? And how many people click on the actual video as opposed to watching from the embedded video on Facebook? 5%? 10%?

This is a mismanaged and ultimately failed attempt at Pentax advertising. A beautiful work of art nonetheless, but I had to watch it three times to make sure I wasn't the one that missed any Pentax references, and I was looking for them.

-Heie
09-08-2013, 01:34 AM   #6

Lovely video That must be a like typical Pentaxadvertising as I can't see the Pentaxbrand anywhere in this video. There's absolutely nothing in the video that will advertise the Pentaxbrand so it must be ment to be a Pentaxadvertice
09-08-2013, 01:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
LOL! The Pentax branding has been removed from this video as well. Maybe it's hidden somewhere now?

09-08-2013, 04:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I see this as advertising , but not for Pentax , if it was a travel video advertising the city the photog visited then I would say this would pass as an Ad for this beautiful city and it's people , infact after watching this Video I really want to visit the place.
09-08-2013, 04:11 AM   #9
Pentaxian

No brand, no company, no product is specified; and it appears to be a personal (but very well made!) video. I'd guess the author couldn't freely/legally use Ricoh brands/trademarks/logos? Oh well, let's complain about it anyway
09-08-2013, 04:12 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
I'm sorry, but I failed to see this as advertising.
Maybe it wasn't intended as Pentax advertising.

But maybe it was, but deliberately pitched as very subtle advertising.

The clip spoke to me and if I hadn't known the channel already, I would have checked who the author is.

I find such passive advertising more effective than the typical "in your face" waving of straps and what not.

Aren't there more people like me who do not want to be sold a product but be shown something inspirational and then wonder what the author(s) used to create it?
09-08-2013, 04:18 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Think Budweiser Clydesdale "Christmas Card" ads - even they close with the logo.
09-08-2013, 04:22 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Thai Neave makes some really exciting and inspiring videos. I saw this vid on Facebook, official Pentax page.

It was also written
"PENTAXIAN Thai Neave traveled to Cuba with a K-5IIs to report for a television series--but he also came back with this little gem for the PENTAX family. Enjoy!

I believe it is a video about photography and not about selling cameras. I really like the image it gives to Pentax, like Pentax is about photography and not just selling cameras!

Here is another one from Thai Neave that I really liked
. Even though, I like the new one much more.
09-08-2013, 04:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Aren't there more people like me who do not want to be sold a product but be shown something inspirational and then wonder what the author(s) used to create it?
I am like you - I agree 100% with everything you said. It resonates with me as well, and again, I commend him for a beautiful video. Really, I don't have the ability to make something like that.

But, an advertisement is not about me and you -- informed, diligent researchers already accustomed to the Pentax strap you could see for less than 2 seconds in the video -- it's about Joe Schmoe that has never heard of Pentax before. All it needed was a simple closing - "Havana, brought to you by Pentax." or something of the like.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and no beholder outside of us will behold anything attributed to Pentax. And that is the issue.

-Heie
09-08-2013, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
No Name, No Logo

Well, I'm completely on the other side of the fence here.
Why? First off, this wasn't made or intended to be a Pentax ad. It was 'in-house' for employees and friends of.
But, now it's gone public and the hue and cry is deafening..."No name, no logo!"
Perfect. Whether by design or accident, it is absolutely perfect.
In advertising, there is a specific title for this kind of advertising; It's called 'Unbranded' , as opposed to 'Branded'. Also known as 'Implicit' vs. 'Explicit'.
Ford has a very good video titled 'Go Further', an example of unbranded advertising. Check it out.
The advantages of branded ads have certainly been pointed out in this thread, many times over. No need to extend that tiresome subject.
What do unbranded or implicit ads bring to the table?
Viewers are constantly bombarded by logos, slogans, graphics and brands daily. We grow wary, tune out and feel insulted by the simplistic, repetitious drone of companies blasting their brand in our faces. Unknowingly, we resist.
Unbranded advertising uses this suspicion and oversaturation to create involvement and curiosity, a small sense of mystery and discovery. Over time, a series of similar-style unbranded ads develop a following, a loyalty. Particularly if the ads are beautifully done, fun to watch and clearly state the PURPOSE of the product over the BRAND. Photography is fun, a good camera makes it easier and more fun. Gee, I like these ads. But they never say the company name. Who is it?
Some need a brick to make the point. Others use a feather.
Perfect.
JMO, YMMV,
Ron
09-08-2013, 06:02 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
Thai Neave makes some really exciting and inspiring videos. I saw this vid on Facebook, official Pentax page.

It was also written
"PENTAXIAN Thai Neave traveled to Cuba with a K-5IIs to report for a television series--but he also came back with this little gem for the PENTAX family. Enjoy!

I believe it is a video about photography and not about selling cameras. I really like the image it gives to Pentax, like Pentax is about photography and not just selling cameras!

Here is another one from Thai Neave that I really liked PENTAXIAN Thai Neave - Montauk, NY - YouTube . Even though, I like the new one much more.
Now that's a great advert....