Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-08-2013, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Ed from photouniverse is back :D

The man is back and speaks out - Like always.

Big fan for being so outspoken and saying the way things are.

09-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Like it or not, this guy knows what he is talking about. We hear it here every day. The problem always seems to be the same, no one is listening at Pentax.
09-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Moved to proper area.
09-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very interesting - I made similar points 09/01

Key points:
  • Pentax announcements (Theta) get over-hyped because we are starved for releases
  • Pentax went out of business. That's why it is just a brand now.
  • Pentax has always been a "Hail Mary Pass" company - one big shot that would save everything
    • They never really built the foundation to make a lasting legacy
  • But every 5 years or so they came up with some Milestone, groundbreaking idea
    • But then they failed to exploit it
  • Pentax hasn't been a player since the 60's
  • Pentax is the "Missed Opportunity" company
  • This is what I like.
    • Traditional lenses on dslr body.
  • If K-3 is the K-mount camera that finally fixes the Flash sync and AF issues (for instance) , then OK
    • If it really is the rumored "A" mount then the User base is gone.
  • We'll know who is really running Pentax (Pentax or Ricoh) in a few weeks

09-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So, when just plain old PF members say these things they're whiners, but when Ed from photouniverse says the same stuff he's a genius?

My point is equal to that of Ed from photouniverse: the "whiners" have a point.

Last edited by Clavius; 09-08-2013 at 01:53 PM.
09-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
The thing is videos get more visibility. Our meager text seems to disappear amidst forums. (My perspective).

BTW to add Pentax is atleast two to three years behind in video technology (I could care less though).

Ages behind in terms of strategic pricing, R&D, product and market research etc. I mean if it continues this way, I see Pentax dying the same death as Kodak.

Again, purely my perspective. I could be wrong and I can just hope I am wrong.

Cheers!
09-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Deedee Quote
I mean if it continues this way, I see Pentax dying the same death as Kodak.
Pentax is not burdened with retiree pensions 3x its active employees, nor is Pentax dependent on repeat sales of a purse product to generate the cash flow necessary to support the Pensioners.

Digital movie cameras were the final blow for Kodak.

09-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
So, when just plain old PF members say these things they're whiners, but when Ed from photouniverse says the same stuff he's a genius?

Everyone has a point. The problem is when people are continuously negative, it tends to blow up their credibility.

None of us knows Pentax's future. Ed doesn't know it either. But even optomistic people admit that they need some movement to continue to stay in operation. That said, I choose to remain optomistic -- there is no particular benefit to seeing the glass as half empty, even if it is true.
09-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Digital movie cameras were the final blow for Kodak.
Accepted however you would agree that the pricing of the Pentax lenses has gone crazy. I believe the ROI for the Pentax lens is absolutely not worth it atleast the current line of lenses. Atleast sigma was kind enough to come up with 18-35 1.8 lens for Pentax mount.

I mean lets say R&D took 6 months to 1 year to come up with a legendary product and not the tweaking of the existing product like K-5II. Lets say after 2 months of rigorous testing of the proto-type, 6 months more for production to release the final product into the market. We are still lagging behind.

A lost market share is a lost market share. Have we ever heard of ok I will go BACK to my old product because NOW they have a great product - It seldom happens.

The number customers Pentax is loosing - I don't mean the loyal cult followers - But the new followers. How long are the cult followers expected to keep upgrading their models / cameras so that they can keep the brand afloat.

The new Canon camera has the flexibility of focusing using the touch screen. It has been designed for absolute novice users, one can decide what kind of bokeh he wants. Just touch of a screen and it does it. Mind you I do understand those are gimmicks, but many many new / potential buyers go for those gimmicks.

Cheers!
P.S. I think I got carried away sorry about that. (I guess reading all the pentax forums I would say I am gaining momentum )
09-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Some may agree with me, more may not, but I just can't stand listening to that guy. I've tried, I really have, but he can't keep me interested in what he's talking about. It's a shame, I'm sure he has quite a wealth of information.
09-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Everyone has a point. The problem is when people are continuously negative, it tends to blow up their credibility.
That goes for relentless optimists even more so.
09-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Which one is the MZ-X he refers to?
09-25-2014, 11:03 PM   #13

Once again: PHOTOUNIVERSE is back! And back with Pentax!!!
10-01-2015, 03:13 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I think Ed does a nice job. A little long winded at time but that's okay. Tell us your thoughts on the DA55-300mm Ed!
10-01-2015, 05:44 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The man needs an editor in the worst way. Nice fireplace, coffee table and couch, though.