Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2013, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I saw my first Pentax product display!

I paid a visit to Gordon's Photo Service in Carson City, NV and Reno, NV and I was thrilled beyond words to see Pentax products prominently displayed right next to Canon and Nikon equivalents! This was my first time since I was a boy that I saw Pentax front and forward like this. I stood in front of the display case and soaked it in. What a sight for this small town rural Nevada Boy! I can only imagine what you big city slicker folks must see in your big metropolitan shopping areas!

I joined the shop's Buyer Club for $20 and bought some sorely needed lens hoods and caps for my manual lenses. It's a drop in the bucket but if it helps keep the shop alive and Pentax products on display then all the better.

OK, joyful expression done.

09-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No photo?

A real live Pentax Display in a Store in the US and you did not get a picture of it????
09-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We need photographic evidence of this or else I'm not gonna believe it.

That's great to hear, though... Pentax making an effort to get their products out there.
09-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I paid a visit to Gordon's Photo Service in Carson City, NV and Reno, NV and I was thrilled beyond words to see Pentax products prominently displayed right next to Canon and Nikon equivalents!
Fantastic!

Four years ago I went to Gordon's Photo in Reno to shop for my first DSLR. A friend had advised me that both the Canon and Nikon would take great pictures, so just pick out the one that felt and handled the best in my hands.

I checked out the entry Canon and Nikon models. Then the sales gal handed me a K200D. The rest is history, as they say.

It wasn't long before Pentax support for small B&M dealers disappeared, and Gordon's stopped stocking Pentax. A couple of years ago I stopped in and asked if they could get me a DA40 limited. The sales person said they didn't carry Pentax point and shoot cameras any longer. Ouch.

That Pentax is back at Gordon's, a local photo shop in a not very big market area, is huge. I honestly thought that never could happen. Behind the scenes things are happening. I will be paying Gordon's a visit.

Last edited by cfraz; 09-08-2013 at 07:11 PM.
09-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
We need photographic evidence of this or else I'm not gonna believe it.

That's great to hear, though... Pentax making an effort to get their products out there.
Fair enough. When I go back to the shop this coming Friday I'll gather your "evidence"!
09-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I paid Gordon's Photo Service in Carson City a visit yesterday to gather my "proof"! Here it is.

and ...

All this for a small city of 50,000!
09-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dang, I live in a county of 1 million+, and I can't find a Pentax dealer less than 3 or 4 hours' drive away! Very jealous.

09-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Our only Mom & Pop store quit selling photography equipment all together. Said they couldn't compete with the internet. But the BIG PENTAX sign is still there even thought they moved to a new location.
09-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #9

That's really nice to see.
09-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I paid Gordon's Photo Service in Carson City a visit yesterday to gather my "proof"! Here it is.
Is that a full frame Pentax under the K-30 !?!
09-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #11

In phoenix, 1 retailer it's an authorized dealer, but they don't carry any stock nor have anything on display.

09-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Is that a full frame Pentax under the K-30 !?!
Looks like a old K1000,,, new old stock ?
09-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Looks like a old K1000,,, new old stock ?
Very much so.

I went there yesterday to buy a hood and a cap. The sales associate said that the shop signed a confidentiality agreement with their Pentax rep. Something big is coming, I was told... And I will like it! Honestly, I have no clue what it is. There are more than enough forum threads here with people guessing and I'll leave the speculation there.

There was a pretty cool Q7 color swatch on the counter too. It showed the Q7 in every single possible combination. Pretty cool!
09-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Very much so.

I went there yesterday to buy a hood and a cap. The sales associate said that the shop signed a confidentiality agreement with their Pentax rep. Something big is coming, I was told... And I will like it! Honestly, I have no clue what it is. There are more than enough forum threads here with people guessing and I'll leave the speculation there.

There was a pretty cool Q7 color swatch on the counter too. It showed the Q7 in every single possible combination. Pretty cool!
Something big is coming?... sshhhhhush, if the nay sayers get a hold of that there will be so much whining and bitching in here they'll ruin the thread. No little bit of Pentax joy is unworthy, no matter how insignificant, of being squashed.

Last edited by normhead; 09-21-2013 at 08:50 AM.
09-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Something BIG? As in, "Don't sell any legacy lenses?"

There. Started it.