Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adapting lenses, results!

So I setup a lil test with a few cameras to see what happens when I adapt lenses to different cameras. I need to setup front/back focus on my K5, so the K5 shot here is omitted, as is the Q shot as I plan to do a Q vs Q7 shoot out this weekend.

OMD EM5 with D-FA 50mm Macro @ f2.8 using Fotidox adapter

1:1 crop

D800 with D-FA 50mm Macro @ f2.8 using Fotidox adapter

1:1: crop

The D800 has an additional element to allow infinity focusing. In reality, this does cause some degredation and I just don't use the adapter if I can at all help it. I've noticed an increased in PF and CA with the adapter, as well as reduced flare control (which I find odd...) it also is hard to focus with them. not a forgiving setup that is for sure. So I just don't use the combo. The Fotidox adapter I purchased has no aperture control ring, so no DA lenses will work properly, but the adapter does feel better than the $30 I paid for it. ie: it does not feel cheap. Its mostly made of metal.

the m4/3 - K adapter from Fotidox has no corrective element, and PK mount lenses work very well on the body. I've experimented a lot with different lenses and have been quite happy mounting them up. In fact with my DA15 Limited I picked up today the first shots I took were on the EM5 instead of my K5... of course the glass performs better on it's native body, but I see no optical quality reasons not to use this adapter. Now this adapter has the aperture adjustment ring, but it has a quarter inch throw from open to closed. The release pin for the lenses is also very flimsy. I'm scared one day the adapter is going to jam and not release a beloved piece of K mount happiness. It also feels quite cheap unlike the F mount version.

Last edited by Wired; 09-13-2013 at 05:18 PM.
09-14-2013, 12:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Wired ... you've given me a few ideas to think over ... J