Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Priest Stops A Wedding To Yell At Photographer

Can't believe the bride and groom let him do that.

OMG Priest Stops A Wedding To Yell At Photographer | The Knot Blog – Wedding Dresses, Shoes, & Hairstyle News & Ideas

09-19-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Let's not blame the priest!

Well, having shot a few weddings in the past both professionally and as a favor for friends, I can't believe that apparently neither the photographer nor the bride and groom had the sense and courtesy to ask the priest or minister his or her feelings on photography during the ceremony. When I shot weddings I tried to be as unobtrusive as possible during the ceremony, shooting from a distance and without flash if, that is, shooting during the ceremony was permitted. This bozo of a videographer looks to have been breathing down the priest's neck; I can't blame the priest for being irritated. Really, folks, its the bride and groom's day, not the photographer's. This sort of c*** gives all of us a black eye.

When I've shot weddings as a spectator and there was a pro on the scene, I always introduced myself to him or her and asked if I could help, and how I could best stay out of the way. Just good manners and consideration. We really don't want to be like those idiots jumping in the way with cellphones blazing.

Thus endeth THE RANT.
09-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A marriage in the Catholic faith is a sacrament and a very religious ceremony. What they were doing was about the same as hopping onto the altar or in the pulpit.

The priest should have been asked what the rules were before the start of the service.
09-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #4

I've photographed many weddings in my time, in and outdoor, and once even on a ship. Never did I offend the priest because I always talked with him (or her) first, and in every instance they told me what the boundaries were beforehand and in every case, they respected me for asking and one gave me full access as long as I remained a discreet distance away for the times that he was speaking his words.

Perhaps the priest should have said what I heard in a ceremony... "Please do not come up onto the altar to take photos...this now-common practise of paparazzi-like photography is disrespectful. Please keep in mind that you are in the house of the lord and respect his house. And please refrain from taking flash photos until I pronounce them man and wife and they walk towards you. you will also have ample opportunity just outside the church."

And, not meaning to get too heavy into doctrine, but by biblical definition, wherever 2 or more are gathered in "his" name, it is the house of the lord. Didn't matter that it was an outdoor wedding - the altar is still sacred.

09-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Normally the photographer would attend the rehearsal and or scout the church just to know the layout of the church (assume never shot there) as well as a feel for the flow of the ceremony, as well as potential lighting issues in advance That is theopportunity for the photographer to ask or get instructions from the priest / minister etc...

I don't care what religion it is, that does not matter, what the photographer did showed a total lack of respect.
09-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have a look at some of the comments on the website. While many agree with us, there are some incredibly rude and thoughtless people making fools of themselves in "public," using obscene language and showing total disrespect for the priest and the religion of the couple. I am not a believer, but I would never act in such a manner in the midst of any religious ceremony, whether in a house of worship or in a field. Some of the posters on the site need a stern talking to.
09-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The title is a bit misleading - the priest never raised his voice, and was fairly reasonable. Still an iffy call, though.

09-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Wow, the photographer was obviously out of line, but then really showed what a bonehead he is by not immediately heeding the request of the officiant. That to me was truly disrespectful for him to apparently question whether he really needed to move. Gee, what a loser! I have been to enough human weddings to know that often there are restrictions and a photographer had better learn what they are beforehand.
09-19-2013, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So if the photographer doesn't move he'll stop the ceremony... seems like he did that when he turned around. Looks like a pre-wedding communications breakdown.

I was in a friends wedding many eons ago and the Pastor asked that there be no cameras during the ceremony. Well my wife didn't get the memo on that and at one point I look out from where the wedding party was standing at the front of the church and there's a red flashing LED from a camcorder... our camcorder. My wife is rolling away. Nothing was said, so no harm, no foul. The silver lining to the thing was my wife got footage of the brides brother playing the sax at the beginning of the ceremony and it's the only record of it since the people at the church dropped the ball and didn't get an audio recording of the wedding as they had promised.

Last edited by OrangeKx; 09-19-2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Added text.
09-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Yeah.... The photographer screwed up. The officiant could have done a better job by saying something before they started, like while they were setting up, but the photographer should have known better. They make long glass for a reason, and it appears that the venue was large enough that the togs could have setup far enough away to to not cause any problems and still do their job.

Apparently the photographer didn't attend the rehearsal, or wasn't paid to attend. A lot of people don't want to pay for the extra day, but this is exactly what it is for.
09-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Yeah, failure to communicate. And there must have been at least a couple of them, because he says "sirs", & is looking to the side. Maybe all the clicking & beeping was distracting him.
Reminds me of that guy I ranted about last month who took over a concert as if it was being held for him to photograph. Wish someone had told him to 'leave or else'. Some photographers think that because they have a ****load of gear, that they can horn in anywhere.
09-19-2013, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

The photographer and videographer were both way out of position. Standing directly behind the priest, shooting the back of his head? Seriously? Hey, why not ask the priest to wear a Go Pro strapped to his forehead, right? And then to stand there arguing?! Wow.
09-19-2013, 09:33 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

wow, surprise many here think is the photographer fault...

Like the photographer, this religious guy is also hire to do his job, the photographer did not touch him or ask him to stand in certain place to make for a good photo shot.
DO YOUR OWN JOB! This is about the couple and how you give the couple a good memory, not screw it up because you think other (who also happen to be hired by the couple, like you) don't respect your religion so you decide you can mess up the couple wedding (see the couple reaction!) ! Now if the photographer climb on a cross to get a shot I would say it is over the top, and the religious guy have every right to stop them... but hey, they just shooting from a good perspective!

I hope he don't get hire anymore. Well, he probably don't care, his religion feed him enough.

I don't hear the photographer "arguing"??
09-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
wow, surprise many here think is the photographer fault...

Like the photographer, this religious guy is also hire to do his job, the photographer did not touch him or ask him to stand in certain place to make for a good photo shot.
DO YOUR OWN JOB! This is about the couple and how you give the couple a good memory, not screw it up because you think other (who also happen to be hired by the couple, like you) don't respect your religion so you decide you can mess up the couple wedding (see the couple reaction!) ! Now if the photographer climb on a cross to get a shot I would say it is over the top, and the religious guy have every right to stop them... but hey, they just shooting from a good perspective!

I hope he don't get hire anymore. Well, he probably don't care, his religion feed him enough.

I don't hear the photographer "arguing"??
It is not a simple as hire a few guys to do different parts of a job for the day, I am sorry to say, but unfortunately this may be more a case of its all about US, where the "US" is the bride and groom. They may have honestly hired this guy to do what he was doing, who knows. Weddings are big business and people get all caught up in the hype and try to immortalized the perfect day etc...... But weddings, if chosen to be done in a church, with a priest imply a selection by the bride and groom to conduct their life with a certain set of core beliefs, and follow the rules of the church. While there may be churches that simply "rent" their facilities, including the priest, there are equally as many that only do so for those in their Parrish and who are members of that church

At the end of the day, the photographers job is to document the day not to be part of it.
09-20-2013, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Frankly there were plenty of mistakes made at this ceremony by many many people...

Part of the underlying problem here can be easily solved by taking one simple step. Turn the wedding party around and have the officiant as the person with their back to the congregation. I've seen it done this way a couple of times and it is much nicer to be able to see the faces of the bride and groom as the ceremony unfolds. Who wants to see the face of the minister and the backs of the B&G's heads?

Turning the ceremony around makes for more enjoyment of the wedding party, all of the attendees and definitely makes the photographer's job easier.