Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How much further can Ricoh diminish Pentax?

Let's face it Pentax is history. When Ricoh bough Pentax and renamed their imaging department to Ricoh-Pentax I had some hope that they would have some appreciation for the history behind the Pentax name. Now it appears that they are afraid to use the Pentax name anywhere in their advertising. It is all just Ricoh. They have a google ad running now saying "Pentax is now Ricoh." So there you have it. Pentax is no more. Its now just Ricoh according to their own marketing department.

If you go to the webstore in the united states there is no mention of Pentax anywhere on the site except in the pictures on the cameras themselves. Even the DSLR models are just given model numbers.

PentaxWebstore.com:Official Pentax Online Store | PentaxWebstore.com

Look at the pentaxian1 youtube channel:

RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION - YouTube

Even Hoya wasn't this stupid. On their facebook page the only mention of Pentax is the name of the page, which they can't change really. They don't even use the pentax logo anymore anywhere. It doesn't even exist anymore. I have a strong feeling that new Pentax cameras will eventually say Ricoh somewhere on them in a prominent way. There is a rumor floating around that either the k-3 or newer cameras will have strongde ricoh branding on them. So Pentax is now Ricoh. Its official. RIP Pentax. Their own ad blatantly states just as much. So much for historical value and stewardship of one of the most important names in photography history. What a colossal failure on their behalf to take advantage of a brand name that has meant far more to many people over the years than Ricoh ever did. Sure go ahead and say I'm overreacting. I know I'm not the only one who feels bitter about this. Face it. Pentax is gone. Its just Ricoh. Its time to change this website to ricohforums.com. Anyone want to take bets on how long it will take them to go all the way and just start stamping Ricoh on the pentaprism?

And yeah I'm just venting. At the end of the day I'd be happy if Ricoh just keeps the Pentax DNA and gestalt alive. Time will tell of course. I just honestly don't know who possibly thought it was a great branding decision to diminish Pentax to the point where it doesn't even have a logo anymore. It deserves more than that IMO. They shoud have just left it as a subsidiary. American companies buy each other all the time, but rarely are they foolish enough to toss away cherished brand names. Take Kellogs for instance. Or Kraft. Or Cadillac. Or Hasselblad even. Look at Voigtlander. It has changed ownership over the years many times, but they always maintained the name because it has recognition. I really don't know what Ricoh is thinking.

Attached Images

09-26-2013, 11:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

let bashing them. and ask a lot question about this to their management thru Adam!

start a campaign!

"Pentax is Pentax"

09-26-2013, 11:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You're right. Who's Ricoh anyway? Miami Vice?

It's if or when they dump the K-Mount I'll know I shouldn't have signed up.
09-26-2013, 11:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I am in the camp of people that doesn't care about the name.

As long as they keep making stuff for K mount, they can call it whatever they want.

That being said, it would be nice if someone out there with the knowledge gave a hint as to what their overall strategy is.

09-26-2013, 11:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Pretty likely its a rather well known marketing tactic to start off with introducing the new name (ie. Ricoh) as small print together with the old name (ie. Pentax).
Then slowly, through a few product cycles, the old name gets smaller (moved to the back or bottom, etc) and eventually removed.

If anyone cares about the tag on their cameras, do consider jumping ship.
And selling their lenses for cheap here on BnS, since they won't be worth much in the future on a Ricoh branded camera.
09-26-2013, 11:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Australia differentiate

www.pentax.com.au
09-27-2013, 12:07 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by zosxavius Quote
Let's face it Pentax is history. When Ricoh bough Pentax and renamed their imaging department to Ricoh-Pentax I had some hope that they would have some appreciation for the history behind the Pentax name. Now it appears that they are afraid to use the Pentax name anywhere in their advertising. It is all just Ricoh. They have a google ad running now saying "Pentax is now Ricoh." So there you have it. Pentax is no more. Its now just Ricoh according to their own marketing department.

If you go to the webstore in the united states there is no mention of Pentax anywhere on the site except in the pictures on the cameras themselves. Even the DSLR models are just given model numbers.

PentaxWebstore.com:Official Pentax Online Store | PentaxWebstore.com

Look at the pentaxian1 youtube channel:

RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION - YouTube

Even Hoya wasn't this stupid. On their facebook page the only mention of Pentax is the name of the page, which they can't change really. They don't even use the pentax logo anymore anywhere. It doesn't even exist anymore. I have a strong feeling that new Pentax cameras will eventually say Ricoh somewhere on them in a prominent way. There is a rumor floating around that either the k-3 or newer cameras will have strongde ricoh branding on them. So Pentax is now Ricoh. Its official. RIP Pentax. Their own ad blatantly states just as much. So much for historical value and stewardship of one of the most important names in photography history. What a colossal failure on their behalf to take advantage of a brand name that has meant far more to many people over the years than Ricoh ever did. Sure go ahead and say I'm overreacting. I know I'm not the only one who feels bitter about this. Face it. Pentax is gone. Its just Ricoh. Its time to change this website to ricohforums.com. Anyone want to take bets on how long it will take them to go all the way and just start stamping Ricoh on the pentaprism?

And yeah I'm just venting. At the end of the day I'd be happy if Ricoh just keeps the Pentax DNA and gestalt alive. Time will tell of course. I just honestly don't know who possibly thought it was a great branding decision to diminish Pentax to the point where it doesn't even have a logo anymore. It deserves more than that IMO. They shoud have just left it as a subsidiary. American companies buy each other all the time, but rarely are they foolish enough to toss away cherished brand names. Take Kellogs for instance. Or Kraft. Or Cadillac. Or Hasselblad even. Look at Voigtlander. It has changed ownership over the years many times, but they always maintained the name because it has recognition. I really don't know what Ricoh is thinking.
It's silly, but the Pentax product line will never go away.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-27-2013, 12:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I hate to say I told you so, but... Ahw no, I love it! For tenth time now: Pentax is not a company nor a brand name anymore. Ricoh has diminished it to a product-line now. Canon EOS, Fuji Finepix, Ricoh Pentax. A simple product line that is free for its master to continue or discontinue. The next step is slowly dissolving the Pentax line of products to a Ricoh one. Which is EXACTLY what their current campain states: "Pentax is now Ricoh".

Question only is: why? Maybe Ricoh is very aware of the already diminished brand name of Pentax? We all know the strange looks, frowns and rotating eyeballs we get when Canison shooters see that we shoot Pentax, even though some Pentax products rank right up there with some pro gear. It's not the Pentax gear that's lacking, it's the market's impression of the name Pentax. Maybe Ricoh wants to solve that by replacing the name?
09-27-2013, 12:18 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

As long as within the next six months they give me a Ricoh K-mount full frame . . . all will be well.

That is all.
09-27-2013, 12:20 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I hate to say I told you so, but... Ahw no, I love it! For tenth time now: Pentax is not a company nor a brand name anymore. Ricoh has diminished it to a product-line now. Canon EOS, Fuji Finepix, Ricoh Pentax. A simple product line that is free for its master to continue or discontinue. The next step is slowly dissolving the Pentax line of products to a Ricoh one. Which is EXACTLY what their current campain states: "Pentax is now Ricoh".

Question only is: why? Maybe Ricoh is very aware of the already diminished brand name of Pentax? We all know the strange looks, frowns and rotating eyeballs we get when Canison shooters see that we shoot Pentax, even though some Pentax products rank right up there with some pro gear. It's not the Pentax gear that's lacking, it's the market's impression of the name Pentax. Maybe Ricoh wants to solve that by replacing the name?
Oh, please can we stop this **** ?
09-27-2013, 12:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

At the end of the day I'd be happy if Ricoh just keeps the Pentax DNA and gestalt alive. Time will tell of course.
Time already did. Ricoh dumped the K-mount already once in history. Fool me once...
09-27-2013, 12:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Time already did. Ricoh dumped the K-mount already once in history. Fool me once...
Now I'm 5 hitting myself.
09-27-2013, 12:44 AM   #13
Pentaxian

The lack of display of the Pentax name seems relatively unique to the American Pentax store. The Japanese sites feature the PENTAX name everywhere:

??? | RICOH IMAGING
PENTAX ????????/????????? | RICOH IMAGING
09-27-2013, 12:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Boring!

I love my pentaxs
09-27-2013, 12:54 AM   #15
Banned

I bet you never whined about letters Asahi above letters Pentax, engraved in millions of pentaprisms on cameras sold from late 1950s till early 2000s.
Asahi is now Ricoh, technically, and at least they are not engraving Ricoh above Pentax on current cameras.
So enjoy fun until Ricoh gets bored with Pentax, and sells it to Donut King. Then your Pentax camera may become a holy relic, for Pentax product range may have a mandatory donut hovering above every viewfinder.