Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Selling photos to my employer for a calendar

I'm posting this in the "pro" section since this is about selling photos, but I'm only an amateur enthusiast. I hope this is the right place to ask this question...

The company I work for publishes a yearly calendar for our distributors around the world. My wife, who is a brand manager at the same company, recommended that I submit some of my photos for our 2014 calendar. I've never sold a photo in my life, so I really have nothing to measure this against. I really don't know where to start, how much to charge for each photo. I found out today that this year's photos were provided by another employee's father and he was paid 800€, or roughly $1040 USD, for 12 photos.

I should add that we are not talking a huge number of calendars... probably a few hundred at best, maybe 500 at most. There would be one photo per month, so 12 photos in all. I am able to supply all 12 photos. All have been shot on my K-5 with various lenses I own. I have the original raw files and will provide processed JPEG's as a deliverable. I will also request copyright marking of each photo, either burned in during export or text printed below the photo.

Is 800€ a good price for 12 photos? It's not exclusive and the photos would be licensed only for use in this calendar for one run. I have already created a book in Lightroom with candidate images and exported it as a PDF, 4 photos to a page. I don't really need to "sell" this idea at this point, it's really down to letting our graphic designer select the photos she wants to put into the calendar and of course agreeing on terms and price before I deliver the final full-res images.

Of course, I am already planning to buy my first DA Limited(s) in the near future depending on how much I make from the sale...

10-01-2013, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'd add 15% to what this year's shooter sold them for. If you need to come down then the art director will feel happier and you'll get a fair chunk of money anyway, plus a portfolio entry for your future.

M
10-01-2013, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Given the history of the client (what they paid last year) you are probably limited to $100.00 per image. That is very cheap, but if the precedent has been established it is very hard to break. Is the quality of your images noticeably better than what was used the prior year? If you tried to charge what it is probably worth they would contact the previous photographer.
10-01-2013, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never sold any image so keep that in mind.

That is about 67 Euros per image. With a press run of 500 that works out to about 1.33E each. That is better than you would do on most stock photo sites. I don't imagine they have the budget to pay really pro rates and I do think that would be considered low for a pro.

I personally would give it a go.

10-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback. I think I will add a bit to the last price paid and ask for that. Budget is definitely an issue, our company doesn't have a huge marketing budget for things like this. I work in the marketing department so I should know!
10-02-2013, 01:32 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
For a pro that's very cheap, but you must remember that's a "true" pros only source of income, for you as a hobbyist anything you can get, has got to be a bonus.

Good luck with this.
10-02-2013, 02:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
... for you as a hobbyist anything you can get, has got to be a bonus.
One question: Why should my photos, if on the same level as a professional's both technically and aesthetically, be worth less?

(not trying to provoke you, just think about it)

10-02-2013, 03:12 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
if on the same level as a professionals both technically and aesthetically
I would agree but the big word here is "if", usually that is often not the case.

Taking your thought process to the next stage, you should therefore be charging pro rates and your comment does not stand up "I think I will add a bit to the last price paid and ask for that".

Unfortunately in this instance, you've already stated "Budget is definitely an issue, our company doesn't have a huge marketing budget for things like this" which is why they are looking for or considering "amateur" or "non professional" input in the first place.

Once again good luck, hopefully as result you may well be able to add DA Limited(s) to your lens collection.
10-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I got the deal and sold 12 photos for the calendar, at a better price (for me) than the previous photographer. Happy Dance!

(and new lenses incoming in the near future!)

10-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Get a K-3 with that fund
10-08-2013, 07:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Get a K-3 with that fund
It did cross my mind, but I decided not to for a few reasons:

1. I really need a better quality all-around zoom to replace the kit DA18-55 WR, and I want to start investing in DA Limiteds. I don't find the 16MP in my K-5 limiting as much as having better glass.
2. I want to see a few K-3 reviews first and find out if the AF in particular is going to be much better than K-5 or not. If not, I would probably try to pick up a K-5 IIs at a discount instead.
10-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #12
Pentaxian

With the launch price of the K-3 at $1,299, the K-5 family price will certainly take a huge drop. I'll probably get another K-5 if I can find a bargain.
10-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
I got the deal and sold 12 photos for the calendar, at a better price (for me) than the previous photographer. Happy Dance!

(and new lenses incoming in the near future!)

Congratulations! Here you go. . .

M