Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Running into a brick wall

Nearly three years ago I bought a K5 thinking that the company was going to go somewhere with their cameras and lenses. I had this rather weird idea that they would rise to the challenge of the big two and that their name would become a serious alternative as suggested by posters here and one or two other sources. But what has happened since?

Err.....!

Yes there have been one or two updates to the camera but where is the full frame model range or even a serious replacement for an ageing design? The K3 may or may not be that camera, who knows, and therein lies my problem. I need to move on from where I am at and at the moment it will mean going Nikon or nowhere (I have no interest in Canon). As much as I love the K5 (despite the mirror flop issues) I just feel that more is expected by my existing and potential customers and Pentax have withdrawn from the race leaving me with my nose flat against that wall. Judging by the complete lack of interest from dealers in taking my kit in PX for a Nikon outfit I really don't think I'm the only one so discomforted.

I fear my next post may well be in the Buy/Sell section.

(not sure that I posted this in the right section)

10-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why do you post this just before the K-3 is released? You have no idea what it's going to look like. But in just a few days, you will. Or do you need to make a decision TODAY?
If it comes out and it's not what you want, then sell the K-5 and move on to whichever company you think will give you what you need.
But as a curiosity, and to make this thread a bit more useful, could you mention what kind of expectations that your customers have, that are not being met by the K-5? Image quality?
10-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Pentax is doomed.. better look somewhere else!!

I hang around because my k-5 works wonders for me, and I am eagerly waiting for their flagship release (highend APS-C or whatever) soon.
10-04-2013, 08:44 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by justinr Quote
Nearly three years ago I bought a K5 thinking that the company was going to go somewhere with their cameras and lenses. I had this rather weird idea that they would rise to the challenge of the big two and that their name would become a serious alternative as suggested by posters here and one or two other sources. But what has happened since?

Err.....!

Yes there have been one or two updates to the camera but where is the full frame model range or even a serious replacement for an ageing design? The K3 may or may not be that camera, who knows, and therein lies my problem. I need to move on from where I am at and at the moment it will mean going Nikon or nowhere (I have no interest in Canon). As much as I love the K5 (despite the mirror flop issues) I just feel that more is expected by my existing and potential customers and Pentax have withdrawn from the race leaving me with my nose flat against that wall. Judging by the complete lack of interest from dealers in taking my kit in PX for a Nikon outfit I really don't think I'm the only one so discomforted.

I'm a happy Pentax user, even though I have never been (or will be) a fanboy. Maybe that is why I can't understand a post like this.

You said that you need to move on. So move on. Where is the problem? Do you consider yourself such an important figure in Pentax community that you need to write all this stuff? Do you believe that you will shock everyone by writing that you are going to change your system? Really, who cares?

Gear is gear. You buy it to get the job done, not to whine about it.

10-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
We really need a FUD forum for this stuff.
10-04-2013, 09:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Pentax is doomed...
...along with Apple...

Cheers,
Cameron
10-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
We really need a FUD forum for this stuff.
+1

This thread is suspiciously looking like a hit and run job... considering its timing (just before the supposed K-3 announcement) it does smell a bit trollish.

10-04-2013, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
I'm a happy Pentax user, even though I have never been (or will be) a fanboy. Maybe that is why I can't understand a post like this.

You said that you need to move on. So move on. Where is the problem? Do you consider yourself such an important figure in Pentax community that you need to write all this stuff? Do you believe that you will shock everyone by writing that you are going to change your system? Really, who cares?

Gear is gear. You buy it to get the job done, not to whine about it.

Quite so, but I have a certain amount invested in Pentax and it seems that I am going to have to throw that away along with any notion I had of sticking with a brand I had come to like for its colours, low light level performance and compactness.

I, in turn, am rather puzzled as to why you should accuse me of self aggrandisement, This is a Pentax forum where Pentax enthusiasts come to talk about the cameras. My post is an expression of leaving the general community of Pentax users in sorrow, but I guess there is a cultural divide somewhere here and you obviously think otherwise. Anyway, Isn't such a denouncement an expression of self importance itself?
10-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Speaking of mirror flop... I recently bought the K5II and was pleasantly surprised at how smooth it was. I had a K20 and P30 before, both of which had flop or shutter slap, but that's all gone in the K5II. Low light performance has improved 8 fold compared to the K20, 2x frame rate, and focusing has much improved too... HD Video, etc. etc.

If you look at one release to the other then things may seem incremental but you would have to be seriously burning through cameras to be buying a new one on each release.

If you look at the big two by themselves, they don't look like they have excelled in creative new releases either when you compare to the existing lineup. Look at the 5D... mark I, II, III. Not a lot of change there.

With Ricoh buying pentax, things can be expected to change but new development takes at least a couple of years so one has to be patient.
10-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
+1

This thread is suspiciously looking like a hit and run job... considering its timing (just before the supposed K-3 announcement) it does smell a bit trollish.
Troll is a grossly overused word in the online world, indicative of the users prejudices and own personal agenda as much of the victims intentions, I tend to ignore it nowdays.

Anyway, I will admit to not realising that the release of the K3 is imminent, but when exactly?
10-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

You didn't, as it is neither news nor rumor; just another "Farewell, goodbye, I'm leaving Pentax." thread.
Moved from News and Rumors to General Photography and Industry.
10-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #12

Err.....!

it was nice ride, farewell
10-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Troll is a grossly overused word in the online world, indicative of the users prejudices and own personal agenda as much of the victims intentions, I tend to ignore it nowdays.

Anyway, I will admit to not realising that the release of the K3 is imminent, but when exactly?
Touche!
10-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

OP may just be onto something, I myself have always been a diehard fen of Pentax, but I too have noticed that Pentax really aint going nowhere, for all we know these new cameras are just rebranded Ricohs. However I will most likely never get rid of my Pentax gear, I really enjoy using my K-5 and my K-X, but I am starting to look into the Nikon world for my full frame interests.
It is rather disheartening going into any camera store and seeing nothing Pentax, if I want a Pentax anything, I most likely will have to order it online sight unseen, I cannot do that any longer.
Pentax had their moment in the sun, now it is time for others who are willing to step up to the plate and take over the camera world.
When it comes to APSC nothing beats a Pentax and that is why I will be keeping all my APSC equipment in Pentax as long as they are in business, but it is looking more and more like I will be using a two system approach when I start using FF, Ya Pentax just might come out with a FF, but I really dont see them doing anything good with it, they need customer support, marketing, and advertising. Canikon companies now have experience developing, designing, and manufacturing FFs, common sense tells me to go with one of them especially if your work becomes professional level.
I'm not bashing Pentax, I'm just stating the obvious, I have used Pentax all my life but even a die hard user has to know when to throw in the towel and move on.
I refuse to go Canon, but have used Nikon in the past and have been happy with the results, if I have to, I WILL go Nikon, but that is a ways down the road because I dont see the need to go FF just yet, gotta work on my skilzs first.

Last edited by Parallax; 10-04-2013 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Foul language
10-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gbeaton Quote
Speaking of mirror flop... I recently bought the K5II and was pleasantly surprised at how smooth it was. I had a K20 and P30 before, both of which had flop or shutter slap, but that's all gone in the K5II. Low light performance has improved 8 fold compared to the K20, 2x frame rate, and focusing has much improved too... HD Video, etc. etc.

If you look at one release to the other then things may seem incremental but you would have to be seriously burning through cameras to be buying a new one on each release.

If you look at the big two by themselves, they don't look like they have excelled in creative new releases either when you compare to the existing lineup. Look at the 5D... mark I, II, III. Not a lot of change there.

With Ricoh buying pentax, things can be expected to change but new development takes at least a couple of years so one has to be patient.
Thank you for the sensible reply.

I'm no fan of Canon, bin there, dun that and got out, so I have taken little notice of what they have or have not been up to. What has prompted my musings is the image quality that I have seen associated with FF Nikons. As far as dSLR's are concerned I think they are setting the bar at the moment and I need to get closer than the K5 can take me, and there is also the question of lens choice and quality.

I used to shoot weddings on Bronicas and the K5 will produce better images than the old MF film, but that on its own is not good enough nowdays.
Closed Thread