Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I was to switch to wedding photography.

I have known a couple of really successful ones, so here goes.

People skills are really important. If you don't like talking to people don't bother.

If you're going to use a Pentax use a 645D. Other wise use the biggest badest looking camera you can afford. I'd even use a Canon 5D. When you are shooting a wedding, you probably have 5 potential customers in the room. People are impressed by big stuff, bigger than they would use stuff. If your stuff is really big, it makes you more credible. I'm not saying it's right... it's just part of your advertising shtick.

Every successful as in incomes over 80k a year wedding photog I've known has been comfortable in a Tux. Dress for the big boys. It may be a cheap wedding you're shooting, but there might be a rich uncle with an unwed daughter in the audience.

Wedding photography is about finding work. You are your own walking advertisement. Everything has to have pizzaz, while staying within the bounds of conservative values.

Personally, while I like the wedding photographers I know, I wouldn't want to be one. It's like photography with a whole set of social expectations on top of it. But the guys I've known that are successful, really enjoyed their work. And get paid well, but the job is way more than just photography.

I now cede the floor to any real wedding photographers who might want to weigh in.

10-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used to be in the Wedding business on the music and lighting side until recently.

Brides really like it when everything is color coordinated, so I thought wedding photogs could offer to shoot with color coordinated DSLRs.

Charge the bride an extra $1000 to shoot with a camera that matches the decor, and optionally let the couple keep the camera as a gift after the wedding.

10-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Charge the bride an extra $1000 to shoot with a camera that matches the decor, and optionally let the couple keep the camera as a gift after the wedding.
ROFLMAO! Best idea of the day!

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If I was to switch to wedding photography.
All good points Norm. Professionalism (in the eyes of potential customers) is what you are selling. Very few people will know the difference between an old Canon Rebel and a 645d except from the size. How you dress, act and talk to bride/groom, guests and others shows you are a pro, not uncle Joe with a camera. Things like going over a shot list with them prior to the event, making sure you get what they want. Making sure you have talked to the preacher/priest/officiator prior and discussed ground rules.
10-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
when I scroll that picture up and down quickly on my monitor, the effect is freaky.
just sayin'.
nothing more to add.

10-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
when I scroll that picture up and down quickly on my monitor, the effect is freaky.
just sayin'.
nothing more to add.
That is freaky.
10-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Every successful as in incomes over 80k a year wedding photog I've known has been comfortable in a Tux. Dress for the big boys. It may be a cheap wedding you're shooting, but there might be a rich uncle with an unwed daughter in the audience.
The only thing I wouldn't like is having to wear a dress when I shoot. I hate wearing dresses and getting dressed up, period. I don't even wear makeup.
10-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ASheffield Quote
The only thing I wouldn't like is having to wear a dress when I shoot. I hate wearing dresses and getting dressed up, period. I don't even wear makeup.
You'd be a good Quaker or Mennonite. Makeup is vanity. I don't know any Quaker or Mennonite wedding photographers though. I agree with you, I like people, I can be bubbly and outgoing, I hate dressing up.

10-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Mennonite wedding photographers
I've shot a few Mennonite weddings "back in the day"--and they were my favorites. No drinking, no dancing, the receptions ended early in the evening allowing me to have a Saturday night out with my friends rather than waiting around till midnight for the "going away" shots.
10-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Of the few weddings I have shot, none of the clients asked me what brand of camera I used or how big it was. They all did, however, look at the work I produced before with my Pentax gear. I have shot weddings with cameras ranging from the *ist D to the K-5.
10-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Of the few weddings I have shot, none of the clients asked me what brand of camera I used or how big it was. They all did, however, look at the work I produced before with my Pentax gear. I have shot weddings with cameras ranging from the *ist D to the K-5.
You had smart clients.....
10-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
just sayin'.
nothing more to add.
You are right, but why did you even do that? I only did it because you pointed it out.

Very good points Normhead.
10-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The last wedding I attended had a photographer who had all the photo gear, but who wore shorts and comfortable shoes. The ceremony was on the verandah of an old stately home, with everyone in their finest. He looked like a computer nerd who had switched on to camera gear. Admittedly, his shorts and polo shirt were black, which probably counts if you double as the DJ, but the goatee was the real give-away. If I was a rich uncle, I would have written him off on the spot.

For the record, I took my Q, which was unobtrusive, but attracted its own small set of admirers and curious onlookers.
10-05-2013, 02:35 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

1. Most clients only see your portfolio and 99% don't know enough to ask what camera you are using.
2. There has been a big revival of MF film for wedding work in my market.
3. Dress varies, but typically it is business casual. Last wedding I did was at the beach and I didn't even wear shoes.
4. You have to have 2 or more shooters to really do it right.
5. $3,000 per wedding and if you do it right you can charge another $1,000 for photo-books and prints..... And that is still not enough money.
10-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Interesting points. Distant cousin-in-laws have asked me if I would shoot their wedding and family photo's next summer. It's a small wedding and will be a JP not a church. While I am faltered , I am not sure I will do it. I 'do' photography for fun. Part of me would welcome the challenge part of me says stay away. I am going to talk to the bride and groom and see what's up. If it turns out money is an issue I will likely be more inclined to do it. Either way I would not charge them much, we'll see what happens. I always swore you could not pay me enough to do a wedding but I guess never say never.
10-05-2013, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

My cousin got married a few months ago. The whole ceremony was very, very casual. Very much a "country" wedding where both bride and groom wore jeans. They asked me to do the photos. I was hesitant as i am new to photography.

But they could not justify the cost of a pro when they were not even dressing up. So I agreed.

Here's the results for those interested... http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0090009/photos/92419471@N04/sets/72157633642813315/

I had help from a friend as a 2nd. She turns up with a canikon full frame camera, straps, belt and bags. She looked the part, and everyone thought she was the real photographer. Which is the OP's point.

And her photos were pretty average. I was happy with the way mine turned out even though I missed a few shots I wanted.