Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How to explain thing to people who don't speak photography.

My dad keeps asking me to explain the difference between some of the different Pentaxes. He thinks the K in the name makes it the same camera. When I tell him that one is better than the other, he asks why. I should add that he asked me why the K-30 was better than the X-5. So, how do I explain this to someone who doesn't know the difference between point and shoots and DSLRs?

10-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For once I'm speechless. OK, not quite... In that case, tell him K is better than X. After all what's better? Special K, or brand X ?
10-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Use what he is into as a parallel.
Maybe he is into cars and you can compare a tiny economy compact to a large luxury car or a sports car or a racing car, etc.
Have him explain what makes those things different in his view, and use parallels to photography topics such as interchangeable lenses, frames per second, sensor sizes, degree of control by the photographer, etc.
Cars all get you from A to Z, and cameras all make pictures, right?
10-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Better is relative - based on the value of various features. What might be better for you might not be for him.

Framed in sales speak: "features and benefits". What does he care about WR bodies and lenses if he doesn't chase kids around the soccer pitch? Who cares about backwards compatibility if the user will never have any other lens than the kit zoom.

I'm sure you can appreciate some of his needs and discuss with him features that would've of value to him.

10-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A lot of things become apparent when your father actually goes out to test drive these cameras.
10-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With my dad I just tell him I'm not smart enough to explain it so he just has to trust me.
10-04-2013, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
With my dad I just tell him I'm not smart enough to explain it so he just has to trust me.
If my son ever says something to me like that I'll slap him silly.

10-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
After all what's better? Special K, or brand X ?
SpecialK :-)

Tell him the bigger sensor will not be so grainy in lower light. Interchangeable lenses allow different looks. Some bodies can shoot faster than others.

Leave it at that.
10-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If my son ever says something to me like that I'll slap him silly.
Physical discipline!!!! Actually it's my children telling me I'm smarter than I look!!(not really a compliment) Then I usually threaten to rip their lips off!
10-04-2013, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote

Tell him the bigger sensor will not be so grainy in lower light. Interchangeable lenses allow different looks. Some bodies can shoot faster than others.

Leave it at that.
Because bigger is always better.... wise words

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Physical discipline!!!! Actually it's my children telling me I'm smarter than I look!!(not really a compliment) Then I usually threaten to rip their lips off!
Mark Twain : When i was 15 I couldn't believe how dumb my father was, when I was 21 I couldn't believe how much he'd learned in just 6 years.
10-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mark Twain : When i was 15 I couldn't believe how dumb my father was, when I was 21 I couldn't believe how much he'd learned in just 6 years.
Words to live by. My dad is 85 now and I think I might be catching up to him as I think he's slowed down a bit the last couple of years.....
10-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ASheffield Quote
My dad keeps asking me to explain the difference between some of the different Pentaxes. He thinks the K in the name makes it the same camera. When I tell him that one is better than the other, he asks why. I should add that he asked me why the K-30 was better than the X-5. So, how do I explain this to someone who doesn't know the difference between point and shoots and DSLRs?
Show him the X-5 vs K-30 @6400iso .
click here to view
10-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Doctors at my local hospital told me SpecialK is the name on the street for the drug ketamine.
10-06-2013, 02:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ASheffield Quote
When I tell him that one is better than the other, he asks why.
Your Dad is a wise man.

"Better" for what purpose?
After all a chain saw is not necessarily "better" than a scalpel nor is my K5 better than my Canon S95 only different for a different purpose.

Last edited by wildman; 10-06-2013 at 03:04 AM.
10-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Doctors at my local hospital told me SpecialK is the name on the street for the drug ketamine.
Doctors, what do they know bout Pentax cameras?