Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
how would you feel if Pentax became a hot brand?

I'd feel many things: vindicated, thrilled, wise for getting in early. I'd also be very proud of Ricoh for taking us there.

But hey, we're the downtrodden underdog, often maligned and almost viewed sympathetically by owners of the Big Two (maybe 2½, I still cannot figure out Minolta er Sony ). If we became Big too, would you feel a bit strange? A bit less uniquely interesting?

I bought a first-year Hyundai Santa Fe in '01, and it was part of the fun to be odd, taking the less-traveled road as it were. Then people praised them, more of them joined me on the road - and that feeling was lessened. I hate being perceived as trendy!! If Pentax becomes a new sensation, a bit of me would feel like that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going anywhere - this is a great thing for everyone, old users and new, and I expect more big things from Pentax. It would just feel strange if we saw as many or more of our brand than others at our favorite vacation spots three years from now. Very much OK... but strange!

10-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Doesn't matter what the other guy knows. Matters what I know. I would be satisfied to know I've known since 1977.
10-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

As far as I'm concerned and for the type of photography that I do, especially for the price, Pentax is the only hot brand - I did my research

-Heie
10-07-2013, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If it gets us cheaper lenses/more stores carrying Pentax brand stuff/more frequent sales, I'm all for the mass to embrace the great Lord Pentax.

Last edited by JinDesu; 10-07-2013 at 09:22 AM.
10-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Other than more competition for 'classic' K-mount lenses I don't see a downside, just the loss of my silly underdog status - and I'll get over that easily
10-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Do not worry, even if Pentax really takes off in the next few years they will still be the underdog! Until their product is stacked in piles on the floors of Costco and Sam's Club, we will be viewed as the odd brand(not a bad thing). Not that their products are bad, But you have thousands of sales to people who view it as photographer in a box! Here what I see is much research done, and then a decision is made as to which camera set to use. This is great except it doesn't generate the volume sales needed to compete for the lead!! Again not a problem in my view. So in my view our position as the little will not be harmed by improved products and sales
Joel
10-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

HOT as in <hot potatoes> ?

10-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So, PB&J for lunch every day and 5 twenties in an envelope every week for 13 or so weeks. Then I'll see how I feel about all those other people looking at RICOH on their LCD's, too.
10-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So, PB&J for lunch every day and 5 twenties in an envelope every week for 13 or so weeks. Then I'll see how I feel about all those other people looking at RICOH on their LCD's, too.
Fortunately, in 20 weeks, the MSRP would have dropped by $100 already, so you can go and have steak that same week
10-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I might have to switch to Sigma completely just to stay in the shadows.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Then I'll see how I feel about all those other people looking at RICOH on their LCD's, too.
You did see the picture of K-3 with PENTAX clear as day under the LCD, right? (right here) It appears that it was only RICOH in the prototypes.
10-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
I might have to switch to Sigma completely just to stay in the shadows.

You did see the picture of K-3 with PENTAX clear as day under the LCD, right? (right here) It appears that it was only RICOH in the prototypes.
I read it the other way - Pentax in the pre-production and Ricoh in the production version - but I'll take it either way.
10-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
As far as I'm concerned and for the type of photography that I do, especially for the price, Pentax is the only hot brand - I did my research

-Heie
+1. Me too, Heie.
10-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The only problem is that then I would have to say things like "I was using Pentax before it was cool".
Actually, I think the real problem would be the influx of annoying people. If you go to Canikon forums, you will notice that its a very different community than the Pentax forums. But on the other hand, if the brand becomes more popular, it is easier to get service and accessories, so thats a big plus.
10-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The only problem is that then I would have to say things like "I was using Pentax before it was cool".
Actually, I think the real problem would be the influx of annoying people. If you go to Canikon forums, you will notice that its a very different community than the Pentax forums. But on the other hand, if the brand becomes more popular, it is easier to get service and accessories, so thats a big plus.
And the nagging worry that Pentax will just disappear will be gone. I wouldn't mind that in the least.
10-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
on the other hand, if the brand becomes more popular, it is easier to get service and accessories, so thats a big plus.
Global Installed Base of K-mounts means a lot as far as peripherals is concerned.