Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As a former K20D user I'd say you're not going to be able to compare the low light performance of a K20D to a K-5 or K-5 II. I dumped my K-20 D after my wife and I started comparing sunset images taken side by side. The DR and low light capability of the K20D almost made it a no brainer to buy another K-5. The K-5 II is better in low light and focuses better in low light than my K-5 did. You can futz around with batteries etc. but a new battery won't turn a K20D into a a K-5 series.

10-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
I just ordered a new battery. Though I would LOVE a new camera, I will be extremely relieved if this solves my problem. Though the K20 does not perform as I would like, it will keep peace in my home if I do not spend an extra $800 for a new camera right now.
10-13-2013, 09:35 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by strictlypentax Quote
I just ordered a new battery. Though I would LOVE a new camera, I will be extremely relieved if this solves my problem. Though the K20 does not perform as I would like, it will keep peace in my home if I do not spend an extra $800 for a new camera right now.
Peace in your home is a very important thing, never to be undervalued.
10-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
As a former K20D user I'd say you're not going to be able to compare the low light performance of a K20D to a K-5 or K-5 II. I dumped my K-20 D after my wife and I started comparing sunset images taken side by side. The DR and low light capability of the K20D almost made it a no brainer to buy another K-5. The K-5 II is better in low light and focuses better in low light than my K-5 did. You can futz around with batteries etc. but a new battery won't turn a K20D into a a K-5 series.
I agree Norm. I had that K-5II pulled up and in the cart....then I read about the battery and decided getting along with my husband is more important right now than quality low light images. IF this doesn't work, I'm going to order a K-5 II and we'll have to work through the problems that will result from my lack of frugality.

10-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by strictlypentax Quote
Even with shake reduction on, I simply can't get good focus with low shutter speed hand held.
You should seriously consider using a tripod for your low-light portraiture.
10-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Isn't the K30/50/500 superior in focus ability?
10-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The K-5II (as well as the original K-5 and some other models) has *two* noise reduction functions.
Excuse me, what do you mean by this? I only see one in the menu (K-5II).
10-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
You should seriously consider using a tripod for your low-light portraiture.

That would be nice. I've done that before, just can't get good angles with a tripod in the way. Thanks for the suggestion!

10-14-2013, 07:45 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Excuse me, what do you mean by this? I only see one in the menu (K-5II).
High ISO NR applies more noise reduction as ISO increases. Slow Shutter Speed NR activates at very slow shutter speeds by taking a second photo with the shutter closed to analyze and subtract noise.
10-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
High ISO NR applies more noise reduction as ISO increases. Slow Shutter Speed NR activates at very slow shutter speeds by taking a second photo with the shutter closed to analyze and subtract noise.
Ah yes, of course.