Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #1
Forum Member

Best Body For Low Light?

I currently have a K20 that is crashing....won't keep the battery charged. Instead of sending it in for repair AGAIN, I'm thinking of upgrading. I have gotten out of photography as a profession, however I still want to take quality family portraits, so I'm thinking of a new body. I've noticed the models I've used have lack in quality portraits in low light, even with a 1.8 lens. Is there a Pentax that does well in low light? I will not be able to buy new lenses, so the new body has to be compatible with DA lenses. My main portrait lens is a DA 50-135, low light being the fixed 1.8.

Thanks for the suggestions!

10-13-2013, 07:09 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I use a Pentax K-1 and it excels in low light. Have not tried low light portraits, but landscapes are phenomenal. That being said, the K-5 has the same sensor as the K-01. My 2 cents.
10-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Gotta take a look at the K-01, but at first glance, it looks pretty "basic".
10-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
First thing on the "cons" of the review..."Poor low-light and video AF"

10-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd go for the K-5 II or K-5 depending on how much money you have to spend.
10-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The K-5 II is a couple stops better for low light focus. If that's your concern, that's where to look.
10-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
K-5 II no noise reduction function? Does that seem to effect image quality?

10-13-2013, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is user selectable, on or off, ie. a good thing.
10-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by strictlypentax Quote
K-5 II no noise reduction function? Does that seem to effect image quality?
The K-5II (as well as the original K-5 and some other models) has *two* noise reduction functions. Even with both of them turned off the K-5II gives good results in low light.

If you want optimum low light results, shoot in raw mode. That gives you the flexibility of applying additional noise reduction via software to get the image you want. This tip applies to any camera from any manufacturer.
10-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The K-5II (as well as the original K-5 and some other models) has *two* noise reduction functions. Even with both of them turned off the K-5II gives good results in low light.

If you want optimum low light results, shoot in raw mode. That gives you the flexibility of applying additional noise reduction via software to get the image you want. This tip applies to any camera from any manufacturer.

Thanks for the opinion. I ALWAYS shoot RAW. I have still had a lot of trouble with noise on my high iso/low fstop shots. Even with shake reduction on, I simply can't get good focus with low shutter speed hand held. Like I said, I don't do this professionally any more, but if I'm going to buy a new camera, I want to have the option to get back into it should I desire. Garbage in = garbage out, so I'd rather produce images that don't require a lot of extra editing to clean up.
10-13-2013, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

From what I understand noise reduction is a built in function, but I could be wrong. If you were to select an ISO you use regularly I'm sure you could find some sample images that would answer your question.
10-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I'd go for the K-5II, both for it's improved (-3EV, virtually pitch-black) low-light AF, as well as it's improved low-light sensor performance.
Or any of the K-30/K-50/K-01/K-5 family just for the improved sensor performance.

Pic related, from dxomark.com
Attached Images

10-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Before you dump your K20D, you might want to evaluate the health of your battery. Lithium cells have a limited lifespan. At some point, they all get old and are unable to accept a charge. A fresh battery might be all that your camera needs.

Steve
10-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Before you dump your K20D, you might want to evaluate the health of your battery. Lithium cells have a limited lifespan. At some point, they all get old and are unable to accept a charge. A fresh battery might be all that your camera needs.

Steve
There's a thought. I had no idea. What is the expected lifespan? Mine are all around 3-4 years old. That doesn't seem ancient to me.
10-13-2013, 09:17 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by strictlypentax Quote
That doesn't seem ancient to me.
Depends how often they are used, how many charge cycles etc. But yeah, I'd say 3-4 years is pretty old.

Get a few cheapies off eBay and see if they breath new life into your K20D.