Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ideal distance to view printed photographs?

I'm always been told not to hang too large photos unless you are able to step back and view it from a suitable distance. But is there a more concrete rule for this. A way to calculate the suitable viewing distance from the size of the printed images? Or wise verse, given a maximum viewing distance, what is the larges size one should hang there? Links would be great, or reference to some book.

This has come up at work where they want to hang 100x70cm prints in a rather narrow corridor. We have had posters there from scientific conferences, but while they are of a comparable size, they always consists of multiple smaller images, diagrams and text-boxes, so you actually have to stand rather close to them to view them (read them). Now I'm afraid that one wont be able to apprechiate the images completely even with the back pressed against the opposite wall...

10-15-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it depends on the resolution. A high-resolution poster can be viewed up close. But if the resolution is not that high, a close up examination will reveal a lack of detail and blockyness.
If you have the resolution, it depends on your "artistic" vision. You can make a large high resolution print to make the viewer feel immersed. Or you can make a small print that will impact the viewer from across the room, like a window into another world. So, ask for the resolution of the image and the printer (one of them will limit the other)

But I think there is a general rule, which has to do with diagonals. You need to be a certain number of diagonal lengths of the print away from it. If you do that, even a relatively low print resolution will look okay, and the photo will look generally like the artist intended. I forget the exact formula, but Im sure someone will mention it.

Hm, though, with modern cameras and print methods, its pretty amazing how good even low-res photos can look up close. And the other thing is that most viewers will skim over the photo, they wont look up close and search for mistakes and faults. Viewers who are not photographers tend to focus on the content more than the medium itself.
10-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
But I think there is a general rule, which has to do with diagonals. You need to be a certain number of diagonal lengths of the print away from it. If you do that, even a relatively low print resolution will look okay, and the photo will look generally like the artist intended. I forget the exact formula, but Im sure someone will mention it.
It is something like that I am looking for.
About resolution...there must be some limit there too. If you are too close, even if you still see details, you only see details in part of the picture, and miss out the whole picture. A bit like not seeing the forest for the trees...
10-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Speak with a curator at a local museum or gallery. They deal with these issues all the time.

M

10-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
But is there a more concrete rule for this. A way to calculate the suitable viewing distance from the size of the printed images?
In film days it was focal length x degree of enlargement. The crop factor may make it x 1.5 these days.
10-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Viewing distance?

Eh, there's the rub. So much depends on viewing distance. By convention, it is based on the FOV, sensor size, and final image size. Here is a link to a phone app (both iPhone and Android, courtesy of Argonne National Lab) that will do the calculation for you.

PVDcalc: A Free Utility for Calculating Correct Photograph Viewing Distances

For some perspective on the issue, simply Google "viewing distance for photograph" to read the varied opinions on the subject.

Steve
10-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

So if I take an image of a small bird on my porch with my 400mm lens and display it on a screen with a width of 14 inches, the correct viewing distance is 21 feet? I think the concept needs a little work.

10-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

...or just take 1.5x the length of the print diagonal...

Steve

...many thanks to NorthLight Images... Resolution for print viewing distance
10-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
In film days it was focal length x degree of enlargement. The crop factor may make it x 1.5 these days.
I don't get this. The degree of enlargement should be the print size divided by the sensor size...so isn't the crop factor already taken into account in the degree of enlargement?
10-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...or just take 1.5x the length of the print diagonal...

Steve

...many thanks to NorthLight Images... Resolution for print viewing distance
That sounds like it could work... in that it's based on the distance at which the eye can cover both ends of the print as, opposed to something more obscure.
10-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
I don't get this. The degree of enlargement should be the print size divided by the sensor size...so isn't the crop factor already taken into account in the degree of enlargement?
I think you are right. Focal length x degree of enlargement is the formula for the correct perspective. It sounds logical and right.