Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another "someone wants to use my photo" thread

Hi all,

Twice in the last couple weeks I've been contacted by people who are interested in using one of my photos on their website. Aside from being very flattered, I wonder what is a reasonable amount to charge for usage.

I'm most concerned about the second contact. A home furniture/products company in a foreign country is interested in possibly using one of my photos in an advertising "film" on their website. They are inquiring about whether I'd charge, or if I'd just like to be part of the film. I wrote back asking for more information about the film, how long they plan to use the photo, and what size they need. I said I would have to charge since they are a commercial business. I did not indicate how much I would charge.

Based on how they asked, I'm guessing they are not going to pursue it now that they know I'm not giving the photo away. But ... just in case - what would be a fair amount to ask for?

I'd appreciate any guidance. I've obviously never done this before and don't have a clue. lol Thanks!

10-15-2013, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

A quick and simple answer, (which technically there really isn't one because you asked all the right questions) 75-150 for non exclusive rights is about what I charge

for website use (72 dpi), i'll drop it by about 20% sometimes if they give me photo credit
10-16-2013, 07:01 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback, nomadkng! Appreciate it!