Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-20-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

How much influence does Sony have on Ricoh

Years ago i was a copier repair technician. At that time my company dealt with such brands as Canon, Konica, Minolta, Ricoh, Kodak, Samsung and Sharp. Xerox were our competitors.
I recall many of the Ricoh and Konica Copiers using the some of same parts and a couple had the same designs. i always figured they were connected somehow Like Canon and HP used same part numbers. Later in the mid 90's Konica bought out Eastman Kodak and took over control of the Color Copier production. A few more years later and Konica acquired Minolta. Then of course as everyone knows Sony bought out Konica.
After learning that Sony makes the Sensors for some, if not all Ricoh Pentax DSLRs, i was reminded of those old copier repair days and i wonder Just how much influence or connection does Sony have with Ricoh today.

10-21-2013, 06:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Like autos..... many suppliers service more than one car maker, and some parts are similar or the same. I doubt this has a huge influence on design or corporate direction, because there is almost always more than one option available. Sony sensors put it in a good position, but it is obvious it does not lead to market control or they would be the only camera out there.

Regards!
10-21-2013, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
After learning that Sony makes the Sensors for some, if not all Ricoh Pentax DSLRs, i was reminded of those old copier repair days and i wonder Just how much influence or connection does Sony have with Ricoh today.
I'm more curious to know how much influence Ricoh has over Sony!! Pentax did a fine job in helping Sony tune their sensors.
10-21-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Years ago i was a copier repair technician. At that time my company dealt with such brands as Canon, Konica, Minolta, Ricoh, Kodak, Samsung and Sharp. Xerox were our competitors.
I recall many of the Ricoh and Konica Copiers using the some of same parts and a couple had the same designs. i always figured they were connected somehow Like Canon and HP used same part numbers. Later in the mid 90's Konica bought out Eastman Kodak and took over control of the Color Copier production. A few more years later and Konica acquired Minolta. Then of course as everyone knows Sony bought out Konica.
And most Nikons were using Sony sensors too, but I doubt Sony was pulling the strings with Nikon. Though maybe that's why the D7000 and D600 had oil probs And also maybe why Nikon is using Toshiba chips in some of their newer cams....

10-21-2013, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Like Canon and HP used same part numbers.
Many many companies license parts for thier machines from others, then put some kind of twist on it to make it their own. For instance, in the 60's and 70's nearly every lens manufacturer licensed at least parts of the coatings application process Pentax patented for the SMC multi coating.
  1. In the 80's and 90's HP licensed from Canon the patented Laser Printer and copier imaging engine (anaolg at the time) which meant HP were making licensed parts. All those wonderful HP Laser Printers sent a stream of revenue to Canon that helped Canon build the diversified company.
  2. Sony only bought the camera operations from Konica Minolta. The name and all the office machine patents stayed with the existing company.
10-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
And most Nikons were using Sony sensors too, but I doubt Sony was pulling the strings with Nikon. Though maybe that's why the D7000 and D600 had oil probs And also maybe why Nikon is using Toshiba chips in some of their newer cams....
Did Sony supply sensors to Nikon with oil spots on them ?
10-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Yep
Yep
Yep

10-25-2013, 12:11 AM   #8
Pentaxian

No.
They did supply stained sensors to Pentax, though.
10-25-2013, 05:34 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
No.
They did supply stained sensors to Pentax, though.
Nikon has had stained sensor problems same as Pentax. It is thought excess lubricant was thrown from the shutters in both cases.
10-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Sorry, but that's incorrect.
Nikon indeed had oil on the sensor - obviously from moving lubricated mechanisms (shutter/mirror). That's not Sony's fault. The oil was cleanable and that was their "fix" - just clean it up until it stops appearing (same for the dusty D600)

Pentax had a different issue - impurities under the AA filter which resulted in spots appearing when the sensor warmed up. It wasn't oil, and being under the AA filter it couldn't be cleaned up - the sensor had to be exchanged (my first K-5 was replaced because of this).
Sony's fault, it appears.