Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2013, 12:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Now That We Didn't Get All We Wanted With The K-3...

what do you want for the K-1/LX-D? Large sensor,12-14 FPS, 38 MP's...or more, High-Point finder like the Nikon F3 w/100% & magnification, Focus Peaking that changes color as image comes into view, integral WiFi, AF in video mode, auto in-camera lens calibration, manual override of horizontal level if askew. That's about it.

10-22-2013, 12:49 AM - 4 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

I want it to stop.... just stop...
10-22-2013, 12:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
I want it to stop.... just stop...
What do you want to stop? The waiting for Pentax to catch up? Or the users demanding FF whenever possible? There's a solution for both.
10-22-2013, 01:27 AM - 9 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

...the dissatisfaction, the incessant wanting (demanding) for more..more..more...
And who laid down the rule that Pentax has to play some sort of 'catch up' ? Where's the race? How trivial.
Really, if you or anyone are so dissatisfied with how P/R are managing their business - why not find one who does - it's quite simple isn't it?

10-22-2013, 01:48 AM   #5

I'm with you sledger.
10-22-2013, 01:49 AM - 1 Like   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good answer. And most of us cannot utilise the current tools to the best of their ability before asking for something more. FF sounds like something we all want (well a lot of us anyway) and yet just about all that we shoot can be just as effectively done on APS-C. I once craved for a Pentax FF, but now haven't looked any further than the K-5 II that I already have. And I'd say even the majority of pros could do what they do with a K-5 II or K-3.
10-22-2013, 02:07 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sledger, I am sure there are many members here who think they way you do (including myself) but never bothered to put it into words, you did and for that I salute you.

Greetings

10-22-2013, 02:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

...the dissatisfaction, the incessant wanting (demanding) for more..more..more...
And who laid down the rule that Pentax has to play some sort of 'catch up' ? Where's the race? How trivial.
Really, if you or anyone are so dissatisfied with how P/R are managing their business - why not find one who does - it's quite simple isn't it?
I'm not dissatisfied with Pentax at all. I need a good APS-C system just as wel as I need a good FF sytem. I even need smaller sensor format then APS-C, so I have that too. I use all kinds of brands and formats, and even more lenses. That indeed is very simple. If only everybody was able to do that.

But you have to understand the other side of the medal too. Not everybody has the ability to add whatever system, or to switch to whatever system, they want. They bought into a system, sink cash into proprietary accessories like lenses and flashes, and then can't afford and/or can't justify to switch when they want to. That's less simple. All they can do is wait in frustration. Of course they're going to be verbal about that.

Why do you read their complaints if you're so tired of reading them? There's little to no of those in the more photography related sections.
10-22-2013, 02:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

It'd be nice if the FF-wishing threads stayed in the FF sub-forum or something...

Logically, people who are dissatisfied with the K-3 wouldn't go to the K-3 sub-forum and post their wishes for a FF.

It's the same idea/argument as people who don't care about FF-wishers who don't go looking in those threads and sub-forums.
10-22-2013, 03:26 AM   #10

200% agree man!

K-3 has not even being released...
10-22-2013, 03:31 AM   #11

Photos: Albums
We, is not me, nor is it the majority of Pentax users. I am sick of the FF devotees demanding a Pentax FF camera in nearly every thread. Give the rest of us a break and keep your FF demands in the Full Frame Forum.
10-22-2013, 03:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

And who laid down the rule that Pentax has to play some sort of 'catch up' ?
The specific wanting in my case is for an AF system that's good for fast moving subjects like aerobatting aircraft and birds. In that respect, Pentax is playing catch-up, there's simply no getting away from it.

I know I could switch brands, but that would be expensive, since I have significant investment in Pentax lenses and flash. So I've been holding off for a long time in the hope that Pentax would bring out something that will meet my specific requirement.

I don't subscribe to the argument that one should get the best out of the equipment one has before upgrading - if that was sensible advice then I'd still be using my ME Super.

The bottom line is, I don't have the time to acquire the skill to get the best out of my equipment, so if newer equipment arrives that means I can get better results in the specific types of photography I do, with less skill, then upgrading is still a sensible thing to do.

I do agree that speculating about the K-3 successor is rather premature, at least in this forum!!
10-22-2013, 04:08 AM   #13

Trying to get a positive spin on the OP's question. If you read the post about suggesting using the sensor shift to have a switchable AA filter and realise it was suggested on this forum about 2 years before it happened. Perhaps we as a forum should express our wishes and hope that the powers that be in Ricoh read this forum. Who knows, perhaps it will trigger something that they can incorporate. Pentax needs to have an innovation and perhaps we can help them.
Integral Wi-Fi and user-calibration of level are on my wish list (and not too difficult). Also some way of programming the range of shutter speed, iso and aperture dependent on the lens. Improving the visibility of the display inside the viewfinder (I have difficulty seeing it in the bright sunlight).

The above is not to say I am dissatisfied with my K5 or unhappy with the K3. In fact, the K3 is once again a system that I can brag about. However, for Pentax to remain viable, they need to innovate. In some areas Pentax are ahead of the game. In other areas (flash system) they need to play catch-up.
10-22-2013, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Why do you read their complaints if you're so tired of reading them? .
Well the catch22 there is that first I must read the post to know it's one to avoid..
10-22-2013, 04:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Well the catch22 there is that first I must read the post to know it's one to avoid..
All gear-related threads in PF will eventually turn into FF threads. It's the elephant in the room. (I hope that expression translates.)