Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
10-25-2013, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Johndav Quote
ridiculous it's 'ARE' too expensive not 'is'
Plus it is 'has introduced' or 'introduces' but not 'has introduces'
If you really want to put yourself on a high horse and criticize the English grammar of the non native speakers of this site, it might be a good idea to proof read your rants: Your rant lacks some kind of punctuation between "ridiculous" and "it's"!

Just sayin'....

Last edited by gazonk; 10-25-2013 at 08:41 AM.
10-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
If you really want to put yourself on a high horse and criticize the English grammar of the non native speakers of this size, it might be a good idea to proof read your rants: Your rant lacks some kind of punctuation between "ridiculous" and "it's"!

Just sayin'....
you do have a point - plus I edited my rant when I realised I had repeated the word 'the' at one point!
10-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Pentax K-3 does not make pancakes!! Not even coffee!!

Pentax is, ... is just a small company struggling to keep up with three giants. And now, it received some help from Ricoh. Pentax is doomed, Ricoh is nasty.
10-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
If you really want to put yourself on a high horse and criticize the English grammar of the non native speakers of this size
It really gives me something I can't discuss here, if people start giving grammar lessons on forums, they should realize the users are from all over the world and learn to accept it. This superiority complex some native English speakers have, are really annoying...

10-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
It really gives me something I can't discuss here, if people start giving grammar lessons on forums, they should realize the users are from all over the world and learn to accept it. This superiority complex some native English speakers have, are really annoying...
They must be retired English teachers who feel there's a huge hole in their lives because they no longer have papers to mark,
10-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So if Pentax is Eliza, is Nikon Higgins, Canon Pickering, and Sony Alfred Doolittle? And does that actually work... No, Higgins must be Ricoh, maybe Alfred then is Hoya.
10-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Give us dimwits the short version please, I've just seen the series Band of Brothers...got something to do with that?
Short version
  • Hundred Years War
  • Upstart English King Henry V claims right to the French Throne
  • French say, "Bah, Dirtball."
  • Far too late in the season, King and a small army of English and Welsh sail to France, march right past the Dauphin's superior force and set up a surprisingly competent small challenge in a narrow defillade.
  • Overconfident French Forces in Full Armor (led by ransom-hungry nobles) march across the recently-plowed, muddy field, sink to their knees and are easily slain by accurate Welsh archers.
  • Henry himself leads English men-at-arms in light armor to march on the French lines and, surprisingly, prove superior combatants.
  • French reserves coming up from the rear cannot maneuver in the mass of bodies and muddy field.
  • Fearing a counter-attack, Henry "takes no prisoners" (at first) and the French army disperses to save themselves.
  • Henry marches victorious to Calais.
  • England (Henry) executes his inrermediate-term plan to lay claim to parts of France over the next several years, then marries the French King's daughter.
  • Their son, Henry VI, becomes King of France, completing Henry's "ridiculous" claim to the Throne of France.
Draw your own allusions

10-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Short version
  • Hundred Years War
  • Upstart English King Henry V claims right to the French Throne
  • French say, "Bah, Dirtball."
  • Far too late in the season, King and a small army of English and Welsh sail to France, march right past the Dauphin's superior force and set up a surprisingly competent small challenge in a narrow defillade.
  • Overconfident French Forces in Full Armor (led by ransom-hungry nobles) march across the recently-plowed, muddy field, sink to their knees and are easily slain by accurate Welsh archers.
  • Henry himself leads English men-at-arms in light armor to march on the French lines and, surprisingly, prove superior combatants.
  • French reserves coming up from the rear cannot maneuver in the mass of bodies and muddy field.
  • Fearing a counter-attack, Henry "takes no prisoners" (at first) and the French army disperses to save themselves.
  • Henry marches victorious to Calais.
  • England (Henry) executes his inrermediate-term plan to lay claim to parts of France over the next several years, then marries the French King's daughter.
  • Their son, Henry VI, becomes King of France, completing Henry's "ridiculous" claim to the Throne of France.
Draw your own allusions
Thank you kind sir, now that seems to be a very appetizing way of making a long story short, I might even start planning to spend some time reading something again...
10-25-2013, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

#10 is an Iron Maiden fan then....Die with your boots on I believe...
10-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Someone in the Sony forum cracked "look at Pentax" as a poor option for Sony. I was compelled to reply: oh my, did Pentax die? Again? Amazing how many there love the idea of a new mount, few and $$$ native lenses but thousands of non-IS and maybe-AF ones - just to have full frame! Glad I stopped drinking what they drink.
10-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Glad I stopped drinking what they drink
Would that be perhaps Green Tea....?
10-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I feel the need to apologise for any offence my comments may have given, I was not intending to give grammar lessons to anyone - I take my hat off to the skills displayed by the Norwegian contributors here (I always remember a Norwegian football commentator ridiculing England in English after a Norway win
); something no English commentator could do back to Norway.
My initial comment was written very much with my tongue in cheek - along the lines of rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic - avoiding the point of the initial post and instead splitting hairs.
For what it's worth I passed my Higher English this year (got a 'C') aged 50 having failed my Ordinary English at school

Last edited by Johndav; 10-25-2013 at 11:43 AM.
10-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
In 13 The Beast is rising.
The Fenchman did surmise.
Through earthquakes and starvation,
The Warlord will arise.
Terror, death, destruction,
Pour from the Eastern sands
But the truth of all predictions
Is always in your hands.
...Pentax is doomed

...send all your obsolete gear to me!

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-25-2013 at 12:10 PM.
10-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"Pentax is doomed" I've heard that 20 years ago.
10-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lucky-Luc Quote
"Pentax is doomed" I've heard that 20 years ago.
Well I guess in the great scheme of things, we're all doomed. As Jim Morrison said, no one here gets out alive. The universe ends in only a few billion years. The next time Yellowstone blows, we're all goners. The only real question here would be will Pentax be doomed before my demise, and I'm guessing that's pretty unlikely. But it is doomed. The universe is Brahma's dream, and when he wakes, it dissolves into pure energy.