Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2013, 05:15 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax is doomed!

Trying to keep up on the news and rumors section isn't easy. The following are examples of so called news or rumors:

Pentax's market share is too small = Pentax is doomed.
Pentax can't catch up to Canikon = Pentax is doomed.
Ricoh is going to sell the rest of Pentax = Pentax is doomed.
Pentax lenses is too expensive = Pentax is doomed.
Pentax doesn't have enough lenses = Pentax is doomed.
Sony has introduces the A7 = Pentax is doomed.
Pentax might introduce the most innovative FF on the market in 2014 = Pentax is doomed.
Pentax is bringing to market the most innovative APS-C to date. = Pentax is doomed.

Is this really news or rumors?

It's like a never ending story. Regardless of what Ricoh/Pentax are doing, it seems like Pentax is doomed.

I propose a new category under Genereal Pentax forums: "Doom-mongers and naysayers"

Let the doom-mongers and naysayers have their own spot, and have it removed from the News and Rumors section.

10-25-2013, 05:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

This thread is doomed
10-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

We're all doomed, DOOMED Capt Mainwaring!
10-25-2013, 05:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by troenaas Quote
I propose a new category under Genereal Pentax forums: "Doom-mongers and naysayers"
I want to second this but then realize it will probably end up the same as the FF topic

"Pentax is doomed" is as old as the brand itself, and likewise... the idea that we should stop saying Pentax is doomed.

I think people need to learn to enjoy the doomed messages, like watching apocalypse preacher on the street. Read RH's blog with some wine and chill out

10-25-2013, 05:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Doom mongers and nay sayers, crave attention.... it's no fun sitting around predicting doom and saying "nay" all by yourself. Like many FF proponents, they believe that holding the beliefs they hold somehow confers them some kind of status. Which it does. It gets them on ignore lists. I mean, that is status of a kind.

We could make them a prison, or send them all to an island.... but there'd be a prison break, or an escape from Alcatraz.
The only thing that motivates doom and gloomer and nay sayer more than their negative perception of the world is being alone and having no one to spread their gospel to. It's kind of like Jehovahs Witnesses that way. If you don't convert a lot of people to your doom and gloom attitudes, you don't go to doom and gloom heaven, as bizarre as that might seem to the rest of us.
Even the worst of them comes up with a gem every now and then. I think that's defined as "Redeeming social importance,"

I know I know, Redeeming social importance " is the hollywood doctrine that says if a woman has sex with the hero of a movie, she has to die before the end of the movie. Because the moral that any woman who has sex out of wedlock will die a premature death is apparently "social important". But we can co-opt the term here, Hollywood won't mind.

God knows, one day one of them might even post a picture.

Which reminds me of a joke.

Australian customs agent. "Are you bringing any goods into the country or do you have a criminal record."
Passenger: "Criminal record? Is that still necessary?"

Last edited by normhead; 10-25-2013 at 06:31 AM.
10-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Ricoh is advertising = Pentax must be doomed...

Found this today. ephotozine, I think Pentax is really doomed and so now they are advertising!
Attached Images

10-25-2013, 06:09 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by theperception2008 Quote
Found this today. ephotozine, I think Pentax is really doomed and so now they are advertising!
Oh no! I went to ephotozine and was met by this frightening splash screen! Clearly Ricoh is desperate to make a last minute marketing attempt before fire selling Pentax!

10-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Oh no! I went to ephotozine and was met by this frightening splash screen! Clearly Ricoh is desperate to make a last minute marketing attempt before fire selling Pentax!
Lol, and after giving up all hope in this world of pain you'll find that Pentax's engineers have given you a handy, cost-effective way of ending it all, combining value, quality engineering and innovation. Rocks in the backpack and into the river or that neckstrap from the rafters. The choice is yours!
10-25-2013, 06:23 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And yet, amongst the doom and gloom, many continue to make terrific photos with their Pentax gear.

I think we need to distinguish between the humorous tongue-in-cheek doomsayers and those who actually believe Pentax will expire soon or those who try to agitate. To wit, the tongue-in-cheek: "We can take terrific photos with our Pentax gear. Oh no, Pentax must be doomed..."

- Craig
10-25-2013, 06:33 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In 13 The Beast is rising.
The Fenchman did surmise.
Through earthquakes and starvation,
The Warlord will arise.
Terror, death, destruction,
Pour from the Eastern sands
But the truth of all predictions
Is always in your hands.
10-25-2013, 06:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I'm just so glad I bought my Ds back years ago at Fox Photo. The salesman there tried to discourage me, saying it would be the last Pentax camera ever made.
Now that the last one is going to be the K3, I am going to save so much money in the future by not having to worry about a new model! Unless, of course, Pentax spoils it by making a FF and I can't resist, although I need a FF like I need a wart on my nose.

Regards!
10-25-2013, 06:55 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

598 Years ago today Henry V was doomed!! - Agincourt

The battle of Agincourt took place on Friday, October 25, 1415 (Saint Crispin’s Day) in northern France. You can read all about it here

There has to be a metaphor for Pentax vs. Nikon&Canon in there somewhere. If not, enjoy the break while you read some interesting history.

And if you are really a nerdy English Major (), get down your copy of the Works of Shakespeare and re-read Henry V.
10-25-2013, 07:03 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The battle of Agincourt took place on Friday, October 25, 1415 (Saint Crispin’s Day) in northern France. You can read all about it here

There has to be a metaphor for Pentax vs. Nikon in there somewhere. If not, enjoy the break while you read some interesting history.

And if you are really a nerdy English Major (), get down your copy of the Works of Shakespeare and re-read Henry V.
Give us dimwits the short version please, I've just seen the series Band of Brothers...got something to do with that?
10-25-2013, 07:13 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by troenaas Quote
Trying to keep up on the news and rumors section isn't easy. The following are examples of so called news or rumors:

Pentax lenses is too expensive = Pentax is doomed.
Pentax doesn't have enough lenses = Pentax is doomed.
Sony has introduces the A7 = Pentax is doomed.

ridiculous it's 'ARE' too expensive not 'is'
Plus it is 'has introduced' or 'introduces' but not 'has introduces'

what an ill conceived piece.

But I do like the John Lawrie - Captain Mainwaring bit. "We're all doomed!!"
10-25-2013, 07:18 AM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
This thread is doomed
Very Perceptive. Thread Moved!