Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2013, 04:44 AM   #1
Forum Member

So....Sony vs Ricoh

Regarding the new Sony 7 cameras
They appear to be very good

Ricoh (if they are serious in the imaging business - which they appear to be) won't take this lying down

Goodbye Canikon

Give us (pentaxians) some more good glass (Ricoh please buy out Sigma)

And we'll be there in spades

10-28-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Ricoh buying Sigma might trigger consequences many of us don't want. Prices for k-mount lenses would probably increase after PentaxRicoh and SigmaRicoh stop competing with each other.
10-28-2013, 05:44 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why goodbye Canikon? The K3 is a great camera for it's class/pricerange but it won't be for long. It's the nature of technology, wait 3 months and something better from the competition comes out. People arn't just going to sell all their lenses to join Pentax cause of the K3. It'll alway sbe a up hill battle to gain market share even if they did come out with the best camera cause of that reason.
10-28-2013, 05:45 AM   #4

not sony vs ricoh, sony + ricoh... sony just borrowed our glass, all of it, you think ricoh gave them all that glass real estate for free??

10-28-2013, 05:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Katmandude Quote
not sony vs ricoh, sony + ricoh... sony just borrowed our glass, all of it, you think ricoh gave them all that glass real estate for free??
it may have been paid for by access to Sony's "latest" 24mp sensor rights
10-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

methinks that as long as Sony has a stronghold on sensor production and distribution, all other brands including Pentax are at varying degree of disadvantages. Then they come out with a camera with FF sensor that can take my K and M mount lenses with adapters . . . .
10-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In what way did Sony borrow Pentax glass? Can't we mount our Pentax glass to just about ANY mirrorless camera around?

Now if Sony enable Pentax lenses to be mounted whilst retaining AF, then I would think there was some sort of deal between the two. But not now, now it's just a matter of Sony saying: "Well Pentax, if you're not gonna do it yourself then what's stopping us?!"

10-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
In what way did Sony borrow Pentax glass? Can't we mount our Pentax glass to just about ANY mirrorless camera around?

Now if Sony enable Pentax lenses to be mounted whilst retaining AF, then I would think there was some sort of deal between the two. But not now, now it's just a matter of Sony saying: "Well Pentax, if you're not gonna do it yourself then what's stopping us?!"

Well I think so. But this is the first one with FF sensor that I can mount my FA ltds and M mount lenses. It is interesting as well as practical if I were to consider purchasing another body, not that I need it. LoL

Yes what you are saying is very true in regards to AF. But for me I rarely use AF. So again this makes it interesting for me.
10-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Katmandude Quote
you think ricoh gave them all that glass real estate for free?
Does Ricoh have any legal ability (patents, perhaps) to stop Sony from making adapters?
10-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Does Ricoh have any legal ability (patents, perhaps) to stop Sony from making adapters?
I don't think Sony is making adapters, third parties are i.e. Novoflex
10-31-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Ricoh buying Sigma might trigger consequences many of us don't want. Prices for k-mount lenses would probably increase after PentaxRicoh and SigmaRicoh stop competing with each other.
True, plus Sigma has a history of making great but HUGE lenses, while Pentax offers small and great lenses. Not quite compatible...
10-31-2013, 10:21 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sigma is a private company and isn't for sale. That makes it kind of hard to buy...
11-01-2013, 05:12 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Sigma is a private company and isn't for sale. That makes it kind of hard to buy...
"Hello, Mr. Sigma, I've got x million yens and want to purchase your beautiful company. Let's discuss it over lunch. My treat."

Everything can be "for sale" if the price is right.
11-01-2013, 05:18 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Of course not. The whole of China is making all possible adapters you can think of as it is now. Pentax lenses have been adapter to all kinds of other brands for years and years. Why would they suddenly try to stop Sony from doing it?