Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #1

New Nikon DF Full Frame

I've often wondered back in the day why someone (Nikon, Canon, Pentax, et. al.) couldn't have made a full frame sensor package which simply dropped into the space occupied by a roll of film in a standard old school film camera--the sensor section would have to be thin--perhaps achieved by removing the film pressure plate on the donor camera, or even by replacing the entire back door, but most of the functions of the original camera would be retained--even frame advance via a mechanical link to the film advance/rewind spindles while delivering a digital, full frame image shot with legacy, full frame lenses. OK, just a weird, impractical dream.... But with the growing bulk and complexity of modern digital slr's, those of us who still shoot "real" film with our LX's, FM2N's, M-6's, etc. are constantly reminded of all the "crap" tacked on to a contemporary SLR that is not only redundant, but also intrusive for many of us into the photography experience as a whole.

Now comes the Nikon DF, which promises to return us to those halcyon days of yore where one had to think before pushing the shutter button, etc., etc. Not sure if anyone else out there shares even a whit of enthusiasm for what I've said above, but I, for one, think Nikon's foray into this largely uncharted water is a game changer, the kind of event to which we will all look back 5 years from now and say "Gosh, how come Pentax, or for that matter Canon, Olympus, et. al. didn't think of that?" For those who haven't been following this, the DF is supposedly a full-frame, +/- 16 mp, pentaprismed, no bells and whistles camera built along the lines of the old Nikon FE, FM bodies which will use all their legacy lenses to deliver the goods in an old school, user friendly way. Hmmmm, is Nikon on to something everyone else has been missing? If the new (body only?) comes in at a grand or less, I think they'll have a real winner and possible game changer on their hands. What do you think??

10-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TaxMan Quote
I've often wondered back in the day why someone (Nikon, Canon, Pentax, et. al.) couldn't have made a full frame sensor package which simply dropped into the space occupied by a roll of film in a standard old school film camera--the sensor section would have to be thin--perhaps achieved by removing the film pressure plate on the donor camera, or even by replacing the entire back door, but most of the functions of the original camera would be retained--even frame advance via a mechanical link to the film advance/rewind spindles while delivering a digital, full frame image shot with legacy, full frame lenses. OK, just a weird, impractical dream.... But with the growing bulk and complexity of modern digital slr's, those of us who still shoot "real" film with our LX's, FM2N's, M-6's, etc. are constantly reminded of all the "crap" tacked on to a contemporary SLR that is not only redundant, but also intrusive for many of us into the photography experience as a whole.

Now comes the Nikon DF, which promises to return us to those halcyon days of yore where one had to think before pushing the shutter button, etc., etc. Not sure if anyone else out there shares even a whit of enthusiasm for what I've said above, but I, for one, think Nikon's foray into this largely uncharted water is a game changer, the kind of event to which we will all look back 5 years from now and say "Gosh, how come Pentax, or for that matter Canon, Olympus, et. al. didn't think of that?" For those who haven't been following this, the DF is supposedly a full-frame, +/- 16 mp, pentaprismed, no bells and whistles camera built along the lines of the old Nikon FE, FM bodies which will use all their legacy lenses to deliver the goods in an old school, user friendly way. Hmmmm, is Nikon on to something everyone else has been missing? If the new (body only?) comes in at a grand or less, I think they'll have a real winner and possible game changer on their hands. What do you think??
This is a product that Pentax should have released last year, to follow up Fuji and Olympus's success with the retro crowd. I'm sure it will be a big hit, as after all, there are tens of thousands of die-hard Nikon fans out there.

It's not quite official yet, right?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it is a very limited market. Nostalgic film shooters that want to have the same 'experience' they have on their film bodies. Nothing wrong with that, I hope it does great.

I don't think we will see too many younger folks using it. Although, from what I've seen so far, not much info has really been released yet. Might be a modern DSLR in vintage clothes.... And while I'm all for that 'vintage' look, if it has all the bells and whistle of a modern camera with a retro look, well, what have you really gained? I'd rather have an ergonomic body.
10-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is pentax behind? I have a M42 adaptor a little green button on the camera and a 40 year collection of lenses I can use anytime I want. Not full frame but it has worked very nicely for nearly 7 years.

10-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Since I haven't seen the camera, its official specs or a review of it, I can only speculate how successful it will be. I don't expect many new, only knows digital, crowd will find it that interesting.
10-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It's an old idea, but it comes as a surprise that Nikon picks this up. As an owner of the original FM2 myself I'm almost sure this camera will be a disappointment for the minimalists among us. I can't imagine they abandon auto-focus and the LCD screen, power it from AA batteries, an give it a full metal body. However, NikonRumors syas that it will have 'physical controls and excellent build quality' so, who knows.
10-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Is pentax behind? I have a M42 adaptor a little green button on the camera and a 40 year collection of lenses I can use anytime I want. Not full frame but it has worked very nicely for nearly 7 years.
+1 I think Pentax was actually ahead of the game since they have always thought in terms of backwards compatibility. I mean they kept the same lens distance formula from m42 to k and were never tempted to dump all and go some other direction. YEAH US!! And I do so love shape of my K100d. And I can do it all in manual mode!
10-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's not quite official yet, right?
It is a lot closer to official than Pentax's first full frame digital camera.

10-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
It is a lot closer to official than Pentax's first full frame digital camera.
Lol, perhaps we'll see it in the coming week.

I hope that when Pentax releases their alleged full-frame at the end of next year, it won't be too late!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #10
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
While the K20d was not a lteral copy of the older (non AF) film camera models I found it very nearly the film camera experience--this coming from alpa9d/pentax spotmatic/nikon FM2/nikonos III [of which I still use all but the alpa---it has not aged well--unlike the others that are pretty timeless in use/function].

In fact I was amazed at the comfort level w/ the K20d, compared to any other dslr that I had tried in the store. And it continues to handle significantly better (for me) than the later pentax dslrs. Retro is all fine--but likely the dslr does not/should not literally translate to the older film camera design. Anyway it remains to be seen what Nikon is doing.
10-28-2013, 04:51 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

[/sarcasm] I hear that the retro Nikon digital has a removable sensor and no USB port. You mail the sensor to Nikon, they print the photos, then mail it back to you.
10-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
[/sarcasm] I hear that the retro Nikon digital has a removable sensor and no USB port. You mail the sensor to Nikon, they print the photos, then mail it back to you.

Will they give double prints and mat finish?
10-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #13
Ole
Administrator

I've often wondered back in the day why someone (Nikon, Canon, Pentax, et. al.) couldn't have made a full frame sensor package which simply dropped into the space occupied by a roll of film in a standard old school film camera--the sensor section would have to be thin--perhaps achieved by removing the film pressure plate on the donor camera, or even by replacing the entire back door, but most of the functions of the original camera would be retained--...
The first attempt by Pentax was close to that. They took the MZ-S, dubbed it MZ-D, added a "grip" to hold the electronics and battery, and put in a 6 MP full-frame sensor. Unfortunately, they could not get the image quality they wanted from that sensor and the camera never hit the streets.
Attached Images

10-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
The first attempt by Pentax was close to that. They took the MZ-S, dubbed it MZ-D, added a "grip" to hold the electronics and battery, and put in a 6 MP full-frame sensor. Unfortunately, they could not get the image quality they wanted from that sensor and the camera never hit the streets.
EEEEEKK!! If I saw thing like that pointed at me, I'd raise the shields and arm the photon torpedoes!!!
10-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I've often wondered back in the day why someone (Nikon, Canon, Pentax, et. al.) couldn't have made a full frame sensor package which simply dropped into the space occupied by a roll of film in a standard old school film camera
You mean like Hasselblad?

Digital Backs

"the unique CFV 50 digital back. It is the only digital back that can be used on all lens shutter or focal plane shutter based V System cameras produced from 1957 onwards."