Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-31-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Advice on "Model Photobook"

I have been asked by a coworker if I can do a photo session for her daughter. Her daughter does part time work as an event hostess (trade shows, special events, etc.), she is applying to local agencies and they require her to turn in a photo book.

I'm at a loss on what kind of photos should be made. Off the top of my head I can think on headshots, full body (with two outfits) and more than one location. She's not a professional model.

Any ideas on how I could approach this? I want to consider if this is something that I can do, or I should pass it to someone else.

Thank you.

10-31-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Even though I am hardly the most qualified person on this forum to give you advice in the area of portrait photography I would nonetheless like to help. To start off may I ask what camera and lenses you are thinking of using as well as lighting equipment (reflectors, flashes, LEDs, etc)? Also do you have a Flickr account or website that I could look at that has some of your work so I can get an overall sense of your style and level of experience? This info will greatly assist me as well as others in advising you.
10-31-2013, 11:53 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shoot a lot of portfolio images for models. Usually agencies want to see examples of commercial looks, some headshots some three quarter length, and a few full length. Some in the studio and some outside is best if that's feasible. High key is always good because it tends to smooth out the skin. Avoid split lighting or other harsh side lighting techniques as it will reveal unwanted textures. If she's building her book, one shot should be done with minimal makeup, just natural clean skin (but I like to cheat on these with some powder and/or foundation) Oh, all images should be in color, except maybe one headshot can be B&W. Above all, think clean images, great tonality, colors that pop, sharp sharp sharp focus on the eyes. And ISO 400, what's that? In other words, you want them to look professionally done. Oh, all 8x10s, it's the only size the models use. Just remember to leave extra negative space at the top and bottom of your frame (in portrait orientation) when shooting so you can crop later. Funny thing is, once she get's accepted, they'll tell her that she needs to redo it. Just go on the website of Ford, or Wilhemina, or Elite, you'll see examples of what you need to shoot.
11-01-2013, 01:39 AM   #4
pdo

Agencies love lifestyle, natural light images.

http://www.pauldophotography.com