Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
Now, if Chevy would only reissue the 69 Chevelle with modern running gear at a decent price...
They'd sell about a billion of them, wouldn't they?
Cheers
Cameron
No, Sorry. They wouldnt.

It looks cool old, Not Cool new.

Look at the New Mustang, Its selling well because its not the old Mustang.

So much more to things than just a look.

I can guarantee the Sony A7/r will completely outsell this Nikon.

11-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Using a 'retro look' as a primary design driver, it remains to be seen whether the Df's form has followed function well. SLR cameras followed a similar basic physical design and layout for good reasons - dSLRs may not necessarily benefit from a similar concept or form.

For example, the smaller of the two displays seems like an afterthought - it's tiny for the three or four parameters it needs to show. The front view - which I like - reflects the lines of a traditional film Nikon, but the other views (top and rear) are an odd mix - not fully retro, not fully modern. As another example - shutter speed and ISO values are selected by physical analog dials but aperture is selected through a thumbwheel and display.

Has it become unnecessarily complicated with this mix of analog controls (buttons, dials) and digital controls and displays?

- Craig
11-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Amen. Show me something new! Not angst ridden nostalgia for generation I can not relate -- no matter how much disposable income they have to relive their youth.
Once again, I don't believe the Df is being marketed at older people, and one look at the videos should reveal which age-group it's really intended for. If we do get an LX-D, I would hope that the spirit of the LX is what it carries: elegance, functionality and robust versatility, rather than the triumph of style over substance.

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 11-05-2013 at 11:05 PM.
11-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Once again, I don't believe the Df is being marketed at older people, and one look at the videos should reveal which age-group it's really intended for.
The age group which likes to wander into countrysides on foot? just kiddin'

11-05-2013, 11:26 PM   #20
Forum Member

pentex doesn't have in-lens stable system, so in-camera stable system is a must. However to move a full-frame sensor around is not a small deal. It has never been tested by the market and it could be super expensive, and can make the camera very thick, heavy, and vulnerable, and there won't be any profit. So why would pentax bother to make such a full frame camera?
11-06-2013, 12:00 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by feishui Quote
pentex doesn't have in-lens stable system, so in-camera stable system is a must. However to move a full-frame sensor around is not a small deal. It has never been tested by the market and it could be super expensive, and can make the camera very thick, heavy, and vulnerable, and there won't be any profit. So why would pentax bother to make such a full frame camera?
The Sony A99, while it's a monstrous beast of a camera in the hands, certainly has in-body stabilization.
11-06-2013, 01:02 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just by looking at it, the K-01's ergonomics will trump this Nikon monster. Yes, the K-01 is odd-shaped, but it's pocketable, and once held, it's surprisingly hefty, but not to the point of being uncomfortable, and the grip is quite good.

This one is obviously huge and heavy. They should have removed the PASM dial and transferred all the dials in the left side, so it can be used without taking your left hand off the lens. The wheels also took something away from the retro element.

The $3000 tag price seems ridiculous as well. Ridiculous, because if one really wants to burn a lot of cash, look retro, and all, I'll settle for an M9 for a few hundred dollars more, and I'll get the magical red dot to boot!

11-06-2013, 02:29 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
This one is obviously huge and heavy.
At 765g it's lighter than the K-3. Looks bigger, though.
11-06-2013, 02:40 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
That makes me concerned about its build quality.
11-06-2013, 02:50 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Heh.... At least I think Nikon does something to meet the market's demand in whatever way possible.. When there's a product, there are always mistakes and that means there are always room for improvements.

Unlike we-know-who, always turning a deaf ear to her supporter's requests. But of course, can't totally blame we-know-who... It's her supporter's mistake in choosing the wrong side.. ;P
11-06-2013, 02:54 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

11-06-2013, 02:58 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Yup, my bad.

Personally, most modern DSLRs (and this is very true to Pentax) has, I believe, almost perfected the ergonomics, which, I think is very critical in this hobby. This Nikon DF will fail miserably, (just by looking at it) when it comes to handling vis-a-vis a K-5, K-3 or even a K-1. The modern DSLRs have certainly evolved and improved by a lot over the years when compared against these "retros". But, again at the initial price of almost $3,000, an additional $800 wouldn't probably hurt a lot for an M9.

(Maybe, just, maybe, if this doesn't sell a lot for Nikon, wait a year, and it will be on a fire sale at (hopefully) $2,000, then it will be a GREAT camera!)
11-06-2013, 03:18 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
(Maybe, just, maybe, if this doesn't sell a lot for Nikon, wait a year, and it will be on a fire sale at (hopefully) $2,000, then it will be a GREAT camera!)
I'm rather hoping for this myself. On the other hand, Nikon could keep the production volume low and the price high, as befitting a niche product - a bit like the F6. I really like the design, and if this had the functionality of a D800 in that body, or if it was £900 less, I'd be all over it. But then, I am a baby boomer (trans: "old fogey"), so what do I know.

We shall see what we shall see.
11-06-2013, 05:31 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I would rather have a modern "Limited" camera, instead of a DSLR with some old style dials on top.
I think that would be a smarter way to go. A camera along the lines of the 20-40 Limited zoom, in terms of design. Modern, but with a nod to the past. The main thing I want out of any retro camera is the linkage to meter at open aperture with my K and M lenses. But as I look at this new Nikon...and I ask myself if I'd rather have it or a K3 plus a lens or two instead, I have to say that I can live with stopped down metering and modern design for the price.
11-06-2013, 05:50 AM   #30
bxf
Veteran Member

Cameras became fat chunky (and ugly, IMHO) by necessity, not because they look better this way. Give me the look of an M9 any day. The slim shape of yesteryear would not accommodate all the electronics required by a digital camera with many modern features.

Don't assume that just because this is the way cameras look during your generation, it is best in all respects.