Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2013, 02:01 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
OK, that is clear enough.
Thanks for the help .... I will start shopping arund for "good deals".
Do you have any suggestion(s) ?

Thanks!

JP
Unfortunately I can't give any solid suggestions - my host is Australian-based, so you should at least find a host that's North American based (which should be pretty easy, haha).

For domain name registrars, look for one that keeps the whois information anonymous - that way the registrant information doesn't contain your name and where you live (essentially).

Hopefully someone here can give you some solid recommendations on who!

11-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I did check WordPress and that confuses me:
I thought it was all "free" but then once you go on the site, you are being asked to "grab a domain" (which is not free).
There is indeed a free "crippled" one as shown here: https://signup.wordpress.com/signup/?
and I have no idea what is the upload limit for pictures though.
They want $109.00 per year and then there is also a clikable part where it shows a choice of .com, .org, ... etc. for $20- to $27/year.
That really adds up !

Nonetheless, it seems to be quite a good place.

I thought of Google also: seems OK, just that: ... "OK".

Not quite sure what to do now.

JP
I'd suggest you just sign up for the free Wordpress.com and try it out, even if just to poke around at Wordpress. It might be enough for what you're trying to do and it's free so there's really nothing to lose. You can always look to moving to a custom site afterwards.

The free storage limit is something like 3GB I believe. That should give you several years worth of blogging web sized pictures. I believe you can't upload videos or audio files without an upgrade.

Your url will have 'wordpress' in it, like 'www.savenature.wordpress.com'. Pay to get a custom url without 'wordpress' in it.

You won't have access to all of the customizations available on a Wordpress site you host on your own, but for a basic blog you might not even miss them.

If you do go for a self hosted site, I've been using DavesNetwork (from Ottawa) as a cheap shared hosting option, $3 a month for 1GB web space and 20GB monthly bandwidth limit but that's lots if you aren't putting up big files and don't have piles of traffic. They've been pretty reliable so far after a year. They can also do the domain registration for you, but it's usually cheaper to go to someone else, I went with NameCheap and saved ~ $8/per year (in retrospect- hardly worth it). Both sites were recommended at RedFlagDeals, I'm pretty much a rookie at this stuff.

Good luck!
11-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You can get a domain name for about $10 or so, but signing up for one online can be a bit tricky. The companies that provide them don't give a clear and easy way to simply purchase a domain. You are given all sorts of options to sign up for stuff you don't really want or need. Probably best if you use a registrar that provides inexpensive domain names *and* has a toll free number. Call them and tell them you *only* want the domain name, and don't let them upsell you. I have an account with Web Hosting, Domain Name Registration! - Affordable Web Hosting and Domain Name Search. Their website is a truly terrible place for a first time domain purchaser, but the pricing is good, and once you get signed up their control panel is straightforward. Just get a domain name--don't buy hosting or anything else!

Next step is to find hosting. I can recommend this company: Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, and Domain Registration by Varial Hosting I used them for a number of years. Their least expensive plan will be more than adequate for your needs.

Once you have hosting, you need to log into your domain name registrar's control panel and set your name server to the hosting company.

Next is to install wordpress. A lot of hosting companies have it as a free service on their control panels--you just push a button and a script does the installation. Once wordpress is installed you log in and start posting.
11-17-2013, 06:55 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jp - if you want to go with something like wordpress, here is exactly what you would need. I will also mention that getting your own web host gives you tons of flexibilty along with having your own email address with your domain name etc. It is all a little confusing at first. I've had my own web hosting service for over 10 years now.

First you will need a webhost - here is the one that I use which has had little of no down time and excellent customer service. If I have a question or problem my inquiry is usually answered within 20 minutes;

Web Hosting | Shared cPanel Web Hosting - HostGator

I'm sure there are cheaper hosts out there, but I use what has worked well for me in the past. In that page, you would only need their smallest "hatchling" plan.

Then you need a domain name which you choose yourself - like "jpblog.com" or whatever. HostGator also does this - makes it a lot easier to have your domain name and web host through the same company.

https://register.hostgator.com/

Then you would be ready to go. Another nice feature with this company is they have a bunch of software like wordpress that they will install for you free of charge with one click of a mouse button. Then once you have wordress loaded, it is just a matter of learning how to configure it to your liking. Again, a bit of a learning curve but this has to be one of the easiest to learn with lots of help text and videos.

With all that said, there is a bit of learning that goes along with all the steps above. Myself, if I were just starting out and wanted a single blog with the ability to add pics, I think I would just use Google Blogger. Super simple!

http://www.blogger.com/home?pli=1

11-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #35
Pentaxian

I've several times attached myself to organizations like CPAWS and Earthroots and participated in hearings as an individual. If you know a specific area, doing so can really add a voice, in that you can address what's on the ground unspecific areas. Iin one case, I did my own presentation to hearings held on the area, co-ordinating with Earthroots. and other organizations so that our research didn't overlap.

You can see my report on the gathering of NGOs hoping to save the Wolf Lake Forest Reserve here, WLG_pg3

And the Ogoki Forest here.
The Ogoki Forest

Both were great exercises and I met a lot of interesting people, but neither of these campaigns led to significant changes in policy, except that the Ontario Government has now cancelled the framework of public review where the public even gets a say. Which in a way was an act of kindness, given that for all our effort our opinions were pretty much ignored.

I hate to be over pessimistic, I have a friend who has a degree in Evrironmental Science and has fought more than a few of these battle through public hearings etc.. and to be honest with you, every government over the last 10 years have taken legislative steps to ensure people like yourself don't have a forum to speak. So while my pages have provided many Canadian students with ideas for school projects, they have not produced any meaningful response from the Government. People still write me updating me on recent developments in the above areas, ( because they mistakenly believe I'm 'In the loop' and can actually accomplish something) and because youd think because all this development would be in direct violation of Canadian Law and government policy. The environmental NGO that takes on legal challenges is pretty much overwhelmed by the attack on wilderness, and really has to pick and choose, their cases. People say they want to preserve the environment, but they don't want to contribute to campaigns to do that. They find it easier to buy into government propaganda that tells the public what a great job they are doing.

So, my advice would be, find as many locals as you can that support your point of view. I know where I live, hunters have a disproportionate say. because they are loud, noisy and aggressive (and drink too much beer at the hunt camps). But there are lots in the community who would be happier if they were more restricted. These things usually break down into a really nasty legal battles between factions. My friend had her place trashed when one of her opponents favouring wetland development phoned the local bi-law enforcement and "anonymously" (they knew exactly who phoned and why she was phoning, and were pretty much part of her faction) complained she had thirty illegal asian immigrants living in her basement. They apparently had to trash the house looking for immigrants.

But don't go sticking your nose in there thinking this is going to be a short fight, or a clean fight… if the law is really on your side, you may be able to get something done.

I originally put my pages up on Apple's idisk.. they have been transferred to HostPapa (and lost some functionality in the transfer.) , I have several domain names registered there. None of my pages are being maintained, I keep them there reference, and when relevant send the links off to politicians etc.

By they way, just to end on a positive note, my friend was on the executive of STORM, (Save the Oak Ridges Morraine) and the work of herself and many others led to the creation of the Toronto green belt that now covers much of the moraine. I won't say people in these efforts always lose… but it always takes one heck of an effort, usually by a lot of people. Politicians like numbers, and support.

Last edited by normhead; 11-17-2013 at 08:17 AM.
11-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I have 3 blogs at wordpress getting 3-4000hits/month w/o doing anything to push the sites other than linking onto my facebook page for my friends to see.

As you start out just sign up for a completely free blog with .wordpress.com in the name. This will allow you to build up content at no cost. At a later time you can decide if you want to pay $10-20/yr to get rid of the .wordpress.com in your domain name but your blog stays the same (just the name changes). It's a little more complicated to setup webhosting but they are set up to transfer your old blog posts.

I host all of my photos on flickr and then link them from a URL so I don't run into any of the space limits. I'm a little concerned that the formatting of each post could get out of whack if I change to hosted site.

You will definitely have to publicize it to get any worthwhile views. After awhile you might get google search results (my waterfall guide does pretty well with this) but initially you will have to drive traffic to your site. I disagree with the person that recommended making a daily post to get subscribers. That works for other website models but this is a reference site and people going to the site and subscribing to the site don't want to wade through mountains of crap that have been generated in this manner. My waterfall guide has zero posts but is still fairly popular (and liked by people I later meet). One huge thing to increase traffic is to start a facebook group of people that are also concerned about this area. Very few people go through the process of subscribing to blogs but almost everyone uses facebook and once they hit like/join you have increased traffic significantly. All you need to do is link any relevant info (blog or other news source) to the facebook group.