Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A relative has a part time number selling photography equipment, and photographs models as a sideline through a site called Model Mayhem. He worked and did model portfolios for free for a long time, building up his rep and his skill-set.

Also, he gets a discount on cameras and picture processing because of where he works.

I used to do weddings and it was just at first for my friends, but when people saw my shots as an amateur they contacted me because they liked my shots better than the pro they hired. And, like the old shampoo ad said..."and they told 2 friends, and so on, and so on".

I had a nice sideline for about 10 years. But not enough to make a living, that's for sure.

11-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've dabbled at selling photo cards and prints at local craft/art shows and farmers markets. It's by no means lucrative, but it's pretty fun selling directly to people who are taking an interest in your work. You're also selling your pictures this way, which has way more appeal to me then taking pictures for someone else.
11-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #18
pdo

I am a fashion photographer and I make my money by providing contents for magazine. Either makeup or fashion work..

www.pauldophotography.com
11-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I mostly take pictures of plants. I'm in discussions with an author about using some of my pictures in her upcoming book about, well, plants.

Considering the amount of time and effort I've spent trying to sell notecards and prints online (I've sold one), this is *way* easier. And it's more in my comfort zone anyway.

11-20-2013, 04:47 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr Orloff Quote
To make a small fortune out of photography start off with a large fortune.
Brilliant !
11-20-2013, 06:23 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look for a publication that uses the type of things you shoot. Check out their submission policy and send something to them if they accept it. I started out sending things to my state's tourism magazine. People saw my pics on there and started asking for more. Don't overlook video as a means to earning some cash. Local events can often use someone to document their event so they can send that video to other avenues for promotion. Stock agencies is a rough row to hoe. Take whatever this month's theme is for the forum contest (Negative Space), then imagine yourself to be a buyer looking for a pic that says, "Negative Space". Would you choose your pic? If not, then maybe you ought to explore other avenues for revenue. Weddings, portraits, baby pics, pet pics, real estate pics, kids' sports teams...these are all ways to make a little cash. But be forewarned! If you screw up someone's wedding pics, your career may be over in a hurry. lol
11-21-2013, 03:01 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Ive had a couple of friends ask me to do boudoir photos for their husbands. I was a bit too shy to do it for them knowing that im also friends with their husbands. But apparently ,, there is a demand for it.

11-21-2013, 03:25 AM   #23
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by jrcastillo Quote
How to make money with your pictures?
I was hoping this thread was going to be the panacea for where I've been going wrong all these years.
12-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #24
Veteran Member

there's a very good way to tell if a professional photographer is actually in attendance at his own gallery-
look for the 15 year old beat up pick-up truck with dirty dented gear in the bed or cab amongst the Mercedes and BMWs.

I came to a sad realization about 3 years ago - there's a reason for the term "starving artists"

although I had one pro photog tell me, the key to surviving is not in selling photos, but in providing instruction such as seminars or being a photo guide.

i'd love to live near Yellowstone or Yosemite etc and spend my days chauffeuring a shutterbug or two through the park for 100/hr. not too bad a gig if you can get it.
12-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by pdo Quote
I am a fashion photographer and I make my money by providing contents for magazine. Either makeup or fashion work..

www.pauldophotography.com

How does that work? Do you just hire models yourself out of your own pocket and then make money buy selling the content to magazines or do the magazines actually hire you for specific shoots?
12-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have never gotten into stock photography but I have heard that you need to sell a lot of images to a stock agency in order to make any decent amount of money. I do know whether that is true or not but I have heard that a couple of different times.