Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #1

How to make money with your pictures?

Forum members, sitting here at home I was just thinking about ways to justify buying gear One of the main things stopping me is that, in reality, I am only doing photography for fun/hobbie and money I put in photography does not necessarily makes its way back to my pocket.

I was thinking, what are some ways I can make some money (just enough to pay for gear every now and then)?

I was checking online and among all options (like selling your prints in art galleries, etc) I saw one compelling option:

- selling your pictures in stock picture sites like fotolia.com among others

So the question is:

1- Is this realistic? I mean, I know there are 1,000,000 variables, but are there any forum members getting some money by doing this? what is your experience?

11-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been thinking the same thing and if there is someone on here please let us know what site you use and why?
Thank you.
11-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You can make a few bucks here and there on websites but it's tough to get eyes to look at your pics. It's a crowded field.

It's much easier to make money as a wedding photographer. Of course you don't want to do THAT half assed.
11-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good sale people can make money out of photography. Do you want to do photography or sell photographs? Not much low picking fruit out there because photography and photographers are used and abused and there seems to be less respect for the skills involved.

Start by looking at what you do for a job and if you can weasel photography into it.

11-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jrcastillo Quote
selling your pictures in stock picture sites like fotolia.com among others
You can do quite well, although the good days are long gone. If you are looking to make gear money that is. Making a living at it is another story.

But shooting stock is not like shooting for fun. Each image must be technically perfect. it is a lot of work and then you sell images for maybe 25 cents each. So it is a numbers game. If you can build a good sized portfolio of over several thousand, technically perfect, creative, and in demand, images you will do fine.

Stock itself is not a monolith. There are a number of different markets. Fotolia is a micro-stock site, pricing is,well, micro. .27 cents for most sales. There are a number of such sites. Then you have "macro-stock" sites which are usually much harder to get accepted to but CAN have sales of up to $100 per image, though most sales will be far less than that. You also have the big agencies like Getty and Corbis but it is nearly impossible to get into those these days, at least as a hobbyist.

Taking a picture is about 10% of the actual work. You need to stage the image, hire models, get releases, keyword, title and caption and then upload. And don't even think about taking those 10,000 images on your hard drive and uploading, it won't work. If you want to shoot stock, you have to shoot for stock.
11-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Although I take all sorts of photos as a hobby, I recently volunteered to take pictures at all our provincial athletics meetings, which involves a full Saturday every weekend.

The organisers give me full access to the track and field events and they provide me with an official photographer vest.

Although I don't charge the organisers, I make some money by selling my pictures to the athletes themselves, via a local site at www.photofrog.co.za. Photofrog takes the orders online, on my behalf, and then provides the athletes a choice of digital downloads and prints.

Photofrog deducts their costs and a small commission, and pays me the difference once a month.

I get my exposure from a link that the organisers have placed on their website - www.kznathletics.co.za as well as posters that I have put up on the stadium notice boards.

Athletes can view and order photos from my Photofrog portal - http://nevillebailey.photofrog.co.za.

I am making a fairly decent amount of money so far.
11-18-2013, 12:40 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for your comments. One thing to clarify however, I am not planning on making my salary out of this. For example, if I can make 1,000 in a whole year (I wish) to buy a new lens, body etc, that would be more than perfect.

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
It's much easier to make money as a wedding photographer.
I am not really planning to make a living out of it. I know life can turn around at any moment. But as I said, IF i can make some money for lenses, or flashes or bodies. great. Not sure why you see a problem in that.

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Each image must be technically perfect. it is a lot of work and then you sell images for maybe 25 cents each
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Do you want to do photography or sell photographs? Not much low picking fruit out there because photography and photographers are used and abused and there seems to be less respect for the skills involved.
Sounds like stock photography might be more work than what i thought. In reality, I was thinking I was going to upload my 10,000 off my HDD and see what happened. But sounds like is not that easy.

QuoteOriginally posted by Neville Quote
Although I don't charge the organisers, I make some money by selling my pictures to the athletes themselves, via a local site at Photo Frog. Photofrog takes the orders online, on my behalf, and then provides the athletes a choice of digital downloads and prints.
That sounds like a good idea. I mean, i might not just go to a athlete's club, but "volunteering" to take pictures might actually open some doors like it did for you.

11-18-2013, 04:01 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would suggest another means. Contact a local paper, not a big publisher, a neighbourhood paper. In the Toronto area there is a publication called snap. The shots are largely semi armature shooters. Try to get onto the staff of one of these
11-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jrcastillo Quote
I am not really planning to make a living out of it. I know life can turn around at any moment. But as I said, IF i can make some money for lenses, or flashes or bodies. great. Not sure why you see a problem in that.
You do realize that I did (and am) taking time out of my day to answer your question to the best of my ability, right? I said that it's a crowded field and it's tough to make money. I never said anything about 'making a living'.

A lot of people would be better off spending the setup/processing/uploading/keywording time at another job. People do it because they like photography. Because a lot of people like to do photography, you don't get much money to do it.
11-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I've sold a few images through stock agencies, but unless you sell hundreds of images a month there is really no money in it. You only get a small percentage, and most agencies are very selective in what they accept.
11-18-2013, 08:35 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

To make a small fortune out of photography start off with a large fortune.
11-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What you do is have your wife do photography and you use her money to finance your <acronym title="Lens Buying Addiction">LBA</acronym>, etc.

Actually, my wife does shoot for hire -- portraits/weddings mainly -- and makes quite good money at that. I think it is probably a lot better money than you get through these on line sites, but I could be wrong about that.
11-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think it is probably a lot better money than you get through these on line sites, but I could be wrong about that.
You're not.
11-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think it is probably a lot better money than you get through these on line sites, but I could be wrong about that.
Maybe, maybe not. I do OK on stock sites, but you have to understand that it is a long term project. It has taken me years to put a portfolio together. Now I get a nice amount each month, but early on it was easy to get frustrated when you only earn $20 a month putting in maybe 40 hours in that month. Looked at short term it would have been much better to get a job flipping burgers part time. But if you can stick with it and keep adding to your portfolio every week for a long time you will get to the place where it starts to go the other way. And you don't have to deal with clients, which was something I was not going to do.

If you have the people skills to get gigs then I am sure that will return more money on a faster time frame. But those gigs only pay once, my stock portfolio pays each month. Just a different way of looking at things.
11-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Maybe, maybe not. I do OK on stock sites, but you have to understand that it is a long term project. It has taken me years to put a portfolio together. Now I get a nice amount each month, but early on it was easy to get frustrated when you only earn $20 a month putting in maybe 40 hours in that month. Looked at short term it would have been much better to get a job flipping burgers part time. But if you can stick with it and keep adding to your portfolio every week for a long time you will get to the place where it starts to go the other way. And you don't have to deal with clients, which was something I was not going to do.

If you have the people skills to get gigs then I am sure that will return more money on a faster time frame. But those gigs only pay once, my stock portfolio pays each month. Just a different way of looking at things.
Sure. My wife makes about 250 on an hour photo shoot (with about an hour of editing after the fact). A wedding (for a day of shooting) is a little over a thousand.

The thing is that as you build up a name, you can raise your prices, so that you work the same, but make more money. And she likes it, so not a problem.

It wouldn't work for me though. I don't like portrait shoots, particularly not with kids and don't enjoy weddings at all.