Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2013, 09:19 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

(My 1st) Pentax Wedding

Did my 1st wedding two weekends ago. Underequipped and underprepared, but it was successful, the couple loves them.

Of all my shoots with the couple (engagement, pre wedding, and the wedding itself), I have seen two 20"x30" they printed. So, far, the resolution and ISO 1600 of the K-5iis seems to hold up well for a print that size.

WIthout further ado, here are some images:

500px / Henry Wong / Photos

11-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HSV Quote
Did my 1st wedding two weekends ago. Underequipped and underprepared, but it was successful, the couple loves them.

Of all my shoots with the couple (engagement, pre wedding, and the wedding itself), I have seen two 20"x30" they printed. So, far, the resolution and ISO 1600 of the K-5iis seems to hold up well for a print that size.

WIthout further ado, here are some images:

500px / Henry Wong / Photos
Nice. Just curious: what equipment did you use? and what conditions (lighting, etc) were you working under? I have to assist another photographer (who is young and inexperienced) in a wedding in May, and I am trying to decide what equipment to bring/rent.
11-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very Good for your first wedding. Congrats..
11-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice! Congrats. The exposures all look right on. By the way, what was your flash setup?

11-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The flash is mentioned in the 500px description - Pentax AF-540 FGZ - Bounced , but obviously the flash results have impressed a lot.
I love the 'Spinning Pink Dress - Yolanda & Yalexia' and 'Cakes and Roses - Yolanda' especially, but the whole set is great.
11-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
HSV
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gbeaton Quote
Nice! Congrats. The exposures all look right on. By the way, what was your flash setup?
Thanks!

I use a on camera AF540, bounced on wall or ceiling. There is this modifier that NeilVN calls the "black foamie thing"...well, mine is a "black leather thing", this is to block the direct flash from hitting the subject.

As for the exposures, the AF540 and K-5iis seems to expose consistently (for whatever they consider right exposure) for like 95% of the time. I like a slightly overexposed "pale skin" look instead of a correctly exposed one, so I end up pushing 2/3 to 1 stop in Lightroom.

For some reason, all the digital cameras I've tried seem to underexpose about the same amount (as for my taste, and compared to film)...I guess this is because the sensor has a enormous amount of shadow headroom compared to highlight headroom (when thinking in logarithmic fashion, as in exposure stops).
11-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
HSV
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
Nice. Just curious: what equipment did you use? and what conditions (lighting, etc) were you working under? I have to assist another photographer (who is young and inexperienced) in a wedding in May, and I am trying to decide what equipment to bring/rent.
First of all, thanks.

I used a gripped K-5iis, AF540, and a Tokina AT-X PRO 28-70 f2.8 for all the event shots. On the flash, is the black leather thing, as mentioned on the above post. All the event was shot with manual on the body and PTTL in the flash.

I also took with me the 50-135, another pair of the K-5 batteries, and extra AA's, but never got to use them. I had the 18-135 in the car for a backup, but also was never used.

My only complaint about this setup is that I would have liked to have something slightly wider than 28mm on the zoom.

The place was fairly small, there were less than 50 guests, and the ceiling was about 12 feet at most. I did use the wall on a few shots, but about 80% is ceiling bounce. The K-5iis seems to nail focus fairly well in the dark, but the speed was a tad lacking. Normally, I would pre-focus with the half press, then hold it with the AF, which I have set to cancel AF. Then it is a matter of waiting for the right moment to take the frame and composition. My impression is that relying 100% in the AF will get you to miss some shots that require you to wait for them (in my case, the dance and dress movement shots).

I would suggest reading some in NeilVN blog, he explains well the bounce technique, it was very helpful for me.
11-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I've just popped over to NeilVN's blog and this looks like a really deep treatment - and required reading. Here's the link to the black foamie thing for anyone, like me, who didn't know about this http://neilvn.com/tangents/video-using-the-black-foamie-thing/

11-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Very impressive photography. Doesn't look like a first effort...looks like the work of a seasoned pro. Poses and exposures are excellent. You've done well.
11-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You really nailed the bounce techniques, with your version of Neil vN's black foamie thing. The light balance and falloff is so very well done. Great job!
11-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #11
Forum Member

Congrats. Some really good work.
11-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Johndav Quote
I've just popped over to NeilVN's blog and this looks like a really deep treatment - and required reading. Here's the link to the black foamie thing for anyone, like me, who didn't know about this http://neilvn.com/tangents/video-using-the-black-foamie-thing/
Awesome. The video shows it works really well. Thanks OP for the advice and Johndav for the link.
11-24-2013, 10:56 PM   #13
HSV
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to y'all for the kind words!

And glad to be of help with the foamie thing!
11-25-2013, 11:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Go for the new sigma 17-70 Contemporary..
You can start shooting detail shoot at the same time..