Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-28-2013, 06:30 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by davids8560 Quote
Thanks for your sharing your experience and informed insights!

What is CLA?
For Pentax film gear, this is the place.

Home

11-29-2013, 02:05 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks guys. I just want to clarify that I don't look at my recent Pentax purchase as being some sort of an investment. I just meant that there seems to be more eBay buyer interest in other brands.

For example, now that I have this K-5 DSLR I put my Canon T3i kit on auction at eBay. The auction started at 6PM yesterday, and the bids topped $100 within the first 15 minutes., Right now there are 70+ watchers. I have sold almost 400 items on eBay, and rapid interest like this T3i is getting is not the norm. The other items, the lenses, are all getting significant interest too, especially the 18-135 IS lens, but the camera body is way ahead by far. I do not think my K-5, if I were to turn around and auction it, would get this kind of a response. Even though it's still basically brand new, clearly a better camera, and would come with less than 100 shutter clicks!

Whatever. The T3i is out, the K-5 is in!
11-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do think decent glass maintains price pretty well. Camera bodies really do sink pretty fast. First of all, the cycle is such that they are outdated pretty fast and second, all electronics have a way of dropping over time. If you are OK buying used, you can take advantage of this fact and pick up some nice equipment for not too much (at least with regard to bodies). Certain points of time are worse than others. There are a lot of camera bodies out there right now, because the K3 came out and people are ditching their old gear to move up.

Anyway, have fun with your camera. I always tell myself that it is about the shooting and not about the price it cost or what I would get for it if I resell that matters.
11-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Yes. That is how I ended up with this brand spanking new K-5. It was a leftover that found its way into a New Jersey reseller's warehouse. For $639, still brand new, I got a decent deal on it, I'd say. What did the K-5 go for when it was first introduced?

Last year's "Camera of the Year", the OM-D E-M5, as a similar example, is all over eBay used now, for like just $500-$700.

And I just missed out on an auction for a boxed slightly used black Pentax Q body that sold for only $100...

Last edited by DavidSKAF3; 11-29-2013 at 02:52 PM.
11-29-2013, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes. That is how I ended up with this brand spanking new K-5. It was a leftover that found its way into a New Jersey reseller's warehouse. For $639, still brand new, I got a decent deal on it, I'd say. What did the K-5 go for when it was first introduced?

Last year's "Camera of the Year", the OM-D E-M5, as a similar example, is all over eBay used now, for like just $500-$700.

And I just missed out on an auction for a boxed slightly used black Pentax Q body that sold for only $100...
The K-5 was $1,600 body only at launch. But that was before MAP, so street price was lower, but still more than the D7000 at the time.

I paid $979 in April 2012. D7000s were selling for more than that at the time, but Nikons were in short supply because of the flooding in Thailand in 2011.

If the K-30 had been released at the same time as the K-01 I probably wouldn't have bought the K-5. No regrets about buying it though...
12-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks guys. I just want to clarify that I don't look at my recent Pentax purchase as being some sort of an investment. I just meant that there seems to be more eBay buyer interest in other brands.
now there is a sound investment. Usually the artist needs to die spectacularly to have prices go up at all

QuoteQuote:
For example, now that I have this K-5 DSLR I put my Canon T3i kit on auction at eBay. The auction started at 6PM yesterday, and the bids topped $100 within the first 15 minutes., Right now there are 70+ watchers. I have sold almost 400 items on eBay, and rapid interest like this T3i is getting is not the norm. The other items, the lenses, are all getting significant interest too, especially the 18-135 IS lens, but the camera body is way ahead by far. I do not think my K-5, if I were to turn around and auction it, would get this kind of a response. Even though it's still basically brand new, clearly a better camera, and would come with less than 100 shutter clicks!

Whatever. The T3i is out, the K-5 is in!
i never sell gear, you just take such a hit on it it is worth keeping, although since all mine is pentax, 3film bodies, 4 DSLrs from *istD through K5 plus a Q, I can use everything with almost everything (the Q zoom 02) is the exception

I call this a system
12-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #22

Well I don't think its an issue limited to PENTAX itself. Lets see some prices of recent "news maker" cameras
  • Nikon D600 Q3/2012 for $2000 selling now for $1300 refurbished so used prices would be still lower.
  • Canon 6D Q3/2012 for $2000 selling now for $1300 refurbished so used prices would be still lower. Note this is still a current model
  • Olympus E-M5 Q1/2012 for $1399 selling now $649 refurbished
  • Fuji X-E1 launched Q3/2012 for $999 selling now for $699 NEW, $400-$500 used

Faster refresh cycle and desire to have latest and greates is what pushing prices down across the brands...